So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 3 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep: Anyone under 23, as well as:

Heaton, Steer

Guilbert, Elmo
Konsa
Mings, Hause
Targett

Douglas, Nakamba
Grealish
McGinn, Hourihane

El Ghazi
Trezeguet
Wesley, Davis

Sell anyone over 23 and not listed. Loan out anyone under 23 and not listed.

Want/Need:

5-20m Right sided centre back to compete with Konsa. (Tuanzebe? Smalling? Jones?)

15-30m first choice left back to compete with Targett. Preferably the same for right back to compete with Guilbert, but Elmo may have done enough since lockdown to show he's good enough to compete for a place.

15-30m attacking midfielder to compete with Grealish/McGinn. (Eze? Loftus Cheek?)

2x 15-40m first choice wingers/wide forwards to compete with Trezeguet and El Ghazi. (Benrahma? Brooks? Cantwell? H. Wilson? Hudson Odoi? Nelson?)

20-60m first choice, "oh my God I cant believe we have signed him, what a statement" striker. (TAMMY, TAMMY, TAMMY, TAMMY, Bale?)

Gross spend 120m-160m?

I really don't understand this. All season you've said the squad is cack and thats the reason why we struggled all season and yet you're retaining most of them either outright, or adding players 'to compete' with the cack you've said weren't good enough ???

Deano has made the point that bringing in premier league experience is important. We don't need to overhaul the entire squad again. A proven striker - possibly two - a winger and a top central defender is a must. Our defence has improved but now we need the firepower to climb the table next year.
If we signed both Mitrovic and Wilson that would be a very good start and miles better than what we have currently. I like Davis but can't see him cutting the mustard at this level.

I agree with that. A good striker or two would make a huge amount of difference and i'd focus big money on only 3-4 aswell.

1 striker
2 wingers
1 midfield player
+bonus, a centre half - Zebe.

Keep the defence as it is. Guilberts is fine and will get better after his first season in British football. Target is poor, but its not so bad that i'd replace him yet.

Midfield is fine except for the wingers - I'd sell El Ghazi as he wasnt very good in the champ either - hot and cold. Keep Trez as he is a workorse and could get a little better (good squad player). Keep Conner and Naka for backup.

I'd like to sell Wesley but I dont see anyone buying him for half the money we paid - so give him a chance (same goes for Samatta). Loan Davis out to a Champ team.

I also rate Konsa over Mings but he showed with Antonio's chance yesterday that he has a way to go. We need a quality centre half to come in IMO.

I like Konsa a lot, the biggest piece and maybe the only piece missing from his game is that he seems an all round nice guy - I‘d like to see him be a bit more vocal and organise the defence, or at least the player beside him a bit more.

Mings is loud and brash, that’s why he gets noticed. I don’t want Konsa to be that type, but a sort of organiser in the way Southgate was as a player.

Heaton and Steer?
Anyone know where they're at in terms of their recovery?
I think losing both of them probably cost us 5 or 6 points.
The other thing is that the comments so far envisage the possibility that we might lose Jack (but hope that we don't). But there are others (SJM, Mings, to mention two) who might be coveted by others. So who might replace them?
As regards possible strikers, Troy Deeney may never win personality of the year but he does bang them in. And he is a gnarled warhorse with Premiership experience.
At the opposite end of the age spectrum, my grandson, Aaron, currently at Brighton, has plenty of potential.

Mitrovic is a good shout but can be a loose cannon regarding his temperament, may miss too many games through suspension. Premier league defenders will know what buttons to push when facing him.

Bree will be gone this summer, possibly to Luton where hes on loan seems a good shout. Deano seems to like Lansbury for some reason so he may not be leaving. Nyland and Kalasnic should be shown the door, along with El Ghazi (great skill, lousy attitude), Trezuguet and I think Jota will be leaving too. I quite liked engels but theres obviously something amiss with him so he'll probably be off.

I just hope we dont waste a shed load of money on too many Carlos Kickaballs this summer

I take it you all want to keep the fantastic Borja Bastón.
luckily i think he only signed a 6 month contract.

I really don't understand this. All season you've said the squad is cack and thats the reason why we struggled all season and yet you're retaining most of them either outright, or adding players 'to compete' with the cack you've said weren't good enough ???
I want to add seven new starting first team players.

Heaton
???? Konsa Mings ????
Douglas
McGinn Grealish
???? ???? ????

Got to retain most of the squad and add quality around it. Overhauling an entire squad of 20 doesn't work, you do it bit by bit, strengthen window by window.

Five or six new additions to the starting XI is a pretty big change.

Would like Callum Wilson i just hate to think how much bournemouth would ask for him they made us pay 20+ million for a fringe player.

Would like Callum Wilson i just hate to think how much bournemouth would ask for him they made us pay 20+ million for a fringe player.

Good player but bit injury prone. Though you could have said the same about Danny Ings last summer.

Shame that there's no comment about younger players who are ready to move up. Jacob Ramsay is the only 'name in the frame' maybe?

I want to add seven new starting first team players.

Heaton
???? Konsa Mings ????
Douglas
McGinn Grealish
???? ???? ????

Got to retain most of the squad and add quality around it. Overhauling an entire squad of 20 doesn't work, you do it bit by bit, strengthen window by window.

Five or six new additions to the starting XI is a pretty big change.
You don’t want to overhaul the squad, but you want SEVEN new starting players

That sounds like an overhaul to me

I think we're stuck with them next season. Personally I have that Luke bloke doing them again. The one he designed is the best one we've had in years in my opinion.
Any word when the new kit gets revealed? I assume its all ready and they were just waiting for confirmation of which league we are playing in next season

5 maximum for me + extend Reina's deal for a season so Heaton can get fit.

CB, CM, CF need to be real quality players and then a LB and Wide Player. Targett needs competition and Taylor should be moved on. We can't trust AEG and Trez so they need more competition too.

Reading through all these posts, seems like Engels has been written off by most. Yes, he had a run of poor games after starting very well, but considering the way we were playing as a team at the time and him adjusting I'd hardly say that half a dozen below-average performances and a long term injury are reason to believe he can't come good (again).
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the only defensive concerns for me are left-back and possibly goalkeeper, both of which aren't desperate. Let's not forget that players like Hause, Mings, Konsa are all now considered premier -league players after a year, and will be better players next season for the experience. Just have to look at the change in Douglas Luiz after he had time to reflect, settle-in and get up to speed....
We should be focused on another central, or left midfielder, and the front three positions. Get some players who can play with Grealish and McGinn further up the pitch....

Status
Not open for further replies.