So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 2 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see why, with the number of subs on the bench in the modern game, and with what we know Davis can do - even if it isn’t scoring 20 goal a season - why we’d let him go?

His fitness is a concern and if we are paying him a million per year to be on the treatment table that is money not well spent.

But when we’re 1-0 up at home to Liverpool next season with ten minutes to go, he’s just the player we want to bring on up top to hold the ball up and put his weight about. That’s worth potentially 2-3 points there if he makes a difference to that game.

A fair few people think he’s “shit” even one of my mates who’s a STH and knows his stuff about the game, but I don’t agree he’s shit.

Probably the same argument for Hourihane and El Ghazi, they are bench players and good options to bring on largely though you would ideally only expect them to start a maximum of 10 games in the league, if we can build on the foundation.

Last edited:
Last season 100 percent we should have gone for him.

This coming season. Should we be now aiming higher?
We probably should, but if he can be got at a reasonable price then ok.
Got a lovely nasty streak in him aswell, something that would benefit our lot.

I don’t see why, with the number of subs on the bench in the modern game, and with what we know Davis can do - even if it isn’t scoring 20 goal a season - why we’d let him go?

His fitness is a concern and if we are paying him a million per year to be on the treatment table that is money not well spent.

But when we’re 1-0 up at home to Liverpool next season with ten minutes to go, he’s just the player we want to bring on up top to hold the ball up and put his weight about. That’s worth potentially 2-3 points there if he makes a difference to that game.

A fair few people think he’s “shit” even one of my mates who’s a STH and knows his stuff about the game, but I don’t agree he’s shit.

Probably the same argument for Hourihane and El Ghazi, they are bench players and good options to bring on largely though in would only expect them to start a maximum of 10 games in the league, if we can build on the foundation.
He quite clearly isnt shit, but he just doesnt score goals, and I dont know how you coach that.

We probably should, but if he can be got at a reasonable price then ok.
Got a lovely nasty streak in him aswell, something that would benefit our lot.
Yeah that nasty streak is something we certainly miss in our squad. He has that, but he doesnt seem like a problem personality wise. Probably looking at £25m for him id reckon in todays market.

He quite clearly isnt shit, but he just doesnt score goals, and I dont know how you coach that.

I accept that, but that’s not his game and I don’t think you can coach it. I think it’s down to confidence, and when he gets one, he’ll get another quickly like buses.

My point is that I’d want him on my bench, as he offers something different and if we use him right he’ll contribute to gaining some of those 19 points we lost from winning positions next season which is the difference between 17th and mid table mediocrity.

I accept that, but that’s not his game and I don’t think you can coach it. I think it’s down to confidence, and when he gets one, he’ll get another quickly like buses.

My point is that I’d want him on my bench, as he offers something different and if we use him right he’ll contribute to gaining some of those 19 points we lost from winning positions next season which is the difference between 17th and mid table mediocrity.
I agree with that, because he has shown it when he comes on in the last twenty.
He gives another dimension, but as I posted somewhere else we have to get a twenty+ striker to get us the goals from somewhere because we cannot go another season with the strike force that we have.
We have got out of the shit once, and it will all have been for nothing if we dont get some true quality into the squad.

Keep Hourihane . Bordering on a no brainer for me. I think he did really well in the last 4 games.
I'm not saying a regular starter but definitely has squad value.
And he is no fuss, decent pro , no trouble and popular in the squad.

Absolutely this, plus he's the only one who can deliver a set piece which for me means he should start on that alone.

I rate Konsa higher than Mings. Of the fringe players I'd keep Elmo - not an automatic starter but very reliable in various positions. I don't rate Hourihane enough to keep in the Prem.
If Jack stays, then trade Makamba for a higher spec version. If Jack goes we need another creator.
Then a proper striker, Benrahma for Jota and two full backs please, Santa

I'm seriously hoping he can't even make the bench next season or we'll be in another relegation battle
He's done quite well in the crunch games over the past couple of weeks but I do agree. He has serious limitations which renders him at best a squad player for where we want to go over the next season.

I rate Konsa higher than Mings. Of the fringe players I'd keep Elmo - not an automatic starter but very reliable in various positions. I don't rate Hourihane enough to keep in the Prem.
If Jack stays, then trade Makamba for a higher spec version. If Jack goes we need another creator.
Then a proper striker, Benrahma for Jota and two full backs please, Santa
I also rate Konsa over Mings but he showed with Antonio's chance yesterday that he has a way to go. We need a quality centre half to come in IMO.

I also rate Konsa over Mings but he showed with Antonio's chance yesterday that he has a way to go. We need a quality centre half to come in IMO.

I think he did well at right-back as well we looked far more solid, he's a strong quick lad and Jack says he's the most difficult defender in the squad to get past.

Like a fair few he's not there yet but has everything in his locker

He's quite a complete player. He's good on the ball but doesn't fuck around on it. Has good pace, positions well and can tackle. He's decent enough in the air. I think concentration and decision making need to improve. Ultimately I think he has better ability than Mings and is of course younger.

Keep: Anyone under 23, as well as:

Heaton, Steer

Guilbert, Elmo
Konsa
Mings, Hause
Targett

Douglas, Nakamba
Grealish
McGinn, Hourihane

El Ghazi
Trezeguet
Wesley, Davis

Sell anyone over 23 and not listed. Loan out anyone under 23 and not listed.

Want/Need:

5-20m Right sided centre back to compete with Konsa. (Tuanzebe? Smalling? Jones?)

15-30m first choice left back to compete with Targett. Preferably the same for right back to compete with Guilbert, but Elmo may have done enough since lockdown to show he's good enough to compete for a place.

15-30m attacking midfielder to compete with Grealish/McGinn. (Eze? Loftus Cheek?)

2x 15-40m first choice wingers/wide forwards to compete with Trezeguet and El Ghazi. (Benrahma? Brooks? Cantwell? H. Wilson? Hudson Odoi? Nelson?)

20-60m first choice, "oh my God I cant believe we have signed him, what a statement" striker. (TAMMY, TAMMY, TAMMY, TAMMY, Bale?)

Gross spend 120m-160m?

Keep

Heaton, Steer

Guilbert, Elmo
Targett
Konsa, Hause, Mings

Hourihane, Nakamba, Luiz, Mcginn, Jack

El Ghazi, Trezeguet

Wesley, Davis

Out

Nyland, Kalinic, Engels, Taylor, Lansbury, Samatta

Bring in a new first choice left back. A new first choice centre back. I don't mind Engels but Smith looks like he's staying and I don't think he rates him. A back up to Jack. 2 new wingers to come straight into the first 11. 2 new strikers one of which must be a 30m+ top of the line goalscorer. Don't care if he's signed from a premier league club or from Europe.

Deano has made the point that bringing in premier league experience is important. We don't need to overhaul the entire squad again. A proven striker - possibly two - a winger and a top central defender is a must. Our defence has improved but now we need the firepower to climb the table next year.
If we signed both Mitrovic and Wilson that would be a very good start and miles better than what we have currently. I like Davis but can't see him cutting the mustard at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.