So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 31 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that. I thought Jack had an obviously poor game. Konsa the standout for me, but always interesting to gage the opposing team’s fans thoughts.

To be fair we've seen Jack play several gears higher than that many times but to other fans, especially ones used to a load of big lumps running around like Sheffield United Jack at 85% probably looks great.

For me it depends on the availability of players in those positions. Can we get somebody in of better quality than Targett or would it be just a stop gap until a certain player becomes available?

Trap door id go;

Targett- weak recovery runs and doesn't read the game well, struggles to offer Jack help or an outlet.

Trez- runs his socks off and tries his hardest, lacks quality but atleast the lad is having a go. Heard him shouting at somebody in the game yesterday telling them to close down quicker.

Connor- decent backup, like his nasty side but just seems to be a yard to slow. But offers good set-pieces which often gets him out of jail.

Overall id say if players become available in these areas and are an obvious improvement and fit the mould and budget then yes replace them.

Hourihane is fine as a squad player, not as a starter, I think we can all agree on that and I think Dean Smith knows this based on how little he played him last season. He's not a great midfielder, he has no pace or trickery so can't play on the wing, but his left foot is dangerous enough for him to be an option off the bench and in case of injury crises. Ideally Grealish would pick up that position he was in last night and we would have a top quality left winger.

Targett was our weakest player last night and it worries me that he has no competition in the squad. He does have the odd good game and I think most of us are on the fence as to whether he will come good or not, but it's scary to think he's guaranteed to start against Fulham in the kind of form he was showing last night. If I were setting a team up against Villa tomorrow I'd overload that side of the pitch in attacks, he is glaringly our weakest link at the back.

Trezeguet isn't a premier league quality player, simple as that. Cheap option from the Turkish league brought in by a since sacked DoF to make up the numbers, he's scored some important goals and he has a lot of heart and for that I'm thankful. Traore will walk into his position next week unless something calamitous happens against Bristol or he lacks match fitness.

McGinn and Grealish looked rusty and I hope they will be more match ready for next Monday. Bit of game time on Thursday wouldn't do either of them any harm.

I don't understand the Sarr link, Apparently now Liverpool have got Jota they aren't going for Sarr, which apparently we're in the lead to sign him.

Although he signed for Wolves for 27m, He had a better season in France than in the Premiership, scored 6 and 6 assists in 30 games, He used to play on the LW a long time ago but the last two seasons has played RW.

Why would we spend 40m odd for a player who isn't used to play on the left, It would make more sense in putting Traore CF, Watkins LW, Sarr RW with Grealish moving in the middle, which again is a very far stretch in why we wanted Watkins in the first place.

Perhaps the link is just trying to force the Rashica transfer, that we can compete against the likes of Liverpool (Even if it's not the case)

I'm still hoping for Rashica so Grealish can move in the middle, which will get rid of the need of Conor and perhaps McGinn will start to perform, although I still think we need another CM and even a LB, I'm surprised we haven't moved more on.

I know a few of you like Dele Alli, Chris Sutton reckons he should come to Villa to prove himself, They believe his attitude is a problem, Surely DS would sort that out and use it to prove himself to get into the England squad, We've got enough class now that he wouldn't feel Villa are beneath him.

I haven't seen rumours as such only members here wanting him, Could prove a steal if the price is right and finds his form.

3 top keepers - great, fixed
3 righ backs - fixed
2 decent centrebacks; but if Engels goes we need cover
Weakness at left back but can't see Dean dropping Targett so at best a reserve incoming

Up front 2 good newbies but are we short of strikers again if Watkins is injured? Wesley is a long way away so Davis to come in but can we rely on him?
Traore can play striker but then we need another wide player so basically Trez is our current cover for the forwards if El G goes - an unpopular view I know but I'd keep him as he is versatile and can score.
Midfield Luiz & Jack are nailed on but unexpected questions over McGinn and then .... ?
I think we should have kept Samatta as cover until January
I thnk we need one more midfield player but I'm torn between a big defensive unit or someone who can cover the 3 front positions
We definitely need height & strength in midfield

At the minute it seems to me we are very much counting on Davis to stay fit and play a big part as our 1st reserve middle or wide

Smith added: "I'm satisfied with the squad that I've got. I feel it's a higher quality but, more importantly, more athletic this season. This season we're right at it."

Anyone slightly concerned... Previous mentions he said we're one short, We definitely need a left winger or a proper attacking midfielder at the bare minimum, otherwise Jack's target of 8-12th place seem pretty off the mark.

Left Wing
Sarr
Rashica
King
Benrahma

Attacking Mid
Dele Alli
Barkley
Buendia
RLC

I think probably in that order, but any of them would show a signal of intent and definitely a statement that we mean business this year, Still not convinced with Trezeguet or El Ghazi.

I am realistic as to where we are in the pecking order but the little snigger from Mark Chapman when Sutton suggests Villa is the thing that gets right on my tits nowadays. These arrogant certain club obsessed commentators and pundits are just cringy to the regular club fans.
I‘m sure the Roger Nouveau’s of this world love it though .

Smith added: "I'm satisfied with the squad that I've got. I feel it's a higher quality but, more importantly, more athletic this season. This season we're right at it."

Anyone slightly concerned... Previous mentions he said we're one short, We definitely need a left winger or a proper attacking midfielder at the bare minimum, otherwise Jack's target of 8-12th place seem pretty off the mark.

I think probably in that order, but any of them would show a signal of intent and definitely a statement that we mean business this year, Still not convinced with Trezeguet or El Ghazi.

That response seems like a 'club statement' to me, falling in line with Management and setting expectations. Its not going to help his position to be actively talking down management especially considering they've backed him.

Trez and Hourihane can do a job every now and then I am not too concerned with having to start with one of them a handful of times over the season. I would be concerned with having to start at least one of them all season and periods where both will be on the pitch out of necessity.

There is a very high probability of that happening if we can't bring in at least one body. DS knows, Terry knows and probably the rest of the coaching staff too. If either is a semi-permanent figure in the starting 11 this season we will struggle to make 12th. Do we have the financial means with FFP to bring in more than two bodies? Have our targets dwindled down to either those we can't afford, don't want to join or are we trying to do our final due diligence?

After watching Palace today we still a bit to go.

I am realistic as to where we are in the pecking order but the little snigger from Mark Chapman when Sutton suggests Villa is the thing that gets right on my tits nowadays. These arrogant certain club obsessed commentators and pundits are just cringy to the regular club fans.
I‘m sure the Roger Nouveau’s of this world love it though .

Cuntish behaviour - he has preconceived notions. Generally, Sutton is on the money, look where Spurs finished I don't get why we'd be 'such a step down'. Newcastle, ourselves or Palace are probably the only clubs he'd fit but he'd only walk into us or Newcastle. I dont think he'd fit Brighton, Burnley, Southampton etc.

TBH I could really see him at Newcastle but I certainly wouldn't mind having him. He'd immediately improve our side a hundredfold.

Such a shame my thread has been merged with this one. I was going to keep it going game to game and see the trends as they happen, but now it is lost in this very general thread. Not all threads have to be amalgamated do they? Especially as my thread was not about who stays or goes or what next, it was specific to who performances that game had them dropping to the trap door of replacement.

Cuntish behaviour - he has preconceived notions. Generally, Sutton is on the money, look where Spurs finished I don't get why we'd be 'such a step down'. Newcastle, ourselves or Palace are probably the only clubs he'd fit but he'd only walk into us or Newcastle. I dont think he'd fit Brighton, Burnley, Southampton etc.

TBH I could really see him at Newcastle but I certainly wouldn't mind having him. He'd immediately improve our side a hundredfold.
Why is it abbhorent behaviour to suggest Villa are currently below Spurs? We've still got a long way to go to mix with even Arsenal, Leicester, Everton etc.

Yes we have rich owners, yes we have ambition but we've achieved survival for one season so far - so the square root of sweet FA. We are currently in the market for £20m players which defines us in other people's minds.

Why is it abbhorent behaviour to suggest Villa are currently below Spurs? We've still got a long way to go to mix with even Arsenal, Leicester, Everton etc.

Yes we have rich owners, yes we have ambition but we've achieved survival for one season so far - so the square root of sweet FA. We are currently in the market for £20m players which defines us in other people's minds.
Also why would Alli limit himself to England? He could walk into several higher profile clubs on the continent. Inter Milan are starting the likes of Ashley Young FFS.

Last edited:

Merd its not what he said, its how he says so context matters. To me it is a suggestion that we do not have a big profile or platform, that he'll become a forgotten man.

I agree history doesnt matter anymore but we do get one benefit from our history it still gives us a profile and a platform that elevates our status. Even though we were cannon fodder last season there are still more eyes on us than Sheffield Utd and Burnley who finished way above us.

We still command attention, Grealish is always going to draw eyes toward the club too. If Alli goes to the continent a lot of people probably wont be too interested in what he does. The English speaking football world thinks the Premier League is the be all and end all. The FA is home centric and there are only about 5 maybe 6 clubs in this league who could take Alli on IMO. Us, Leeds, Newcastle, Palace, Brighton and Southampton. I think Alli is only suited to two of those clubs us and Newcastle.

Such a shame my thread has been merged with this one. I was going to keep it going game to game and see the trends as they happen, but now it is lost in this very general thread. Not all threads have to be amalgamated do they? Especially as my thread was not about who stays or goes or what next, it was specific to who performances that game had them dropping to the trap door of replacement.

Not totally sure, didn't see your thread to be honest. But this one could now be frozen, as the season has started and we do have the transfer thread also so this is overlapping.

If you alerted your thread started and any that you think were answering it, I could move them to the thread you had in mind.

Freezing this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.