So, whadda we gonna moan abart? | Page 2 | Vital Football

So, whadda we gonna moan abart?

Is there no subject on which you have an unfounded and bonkers theory ?

Let me explain....China is the most overpopulated country in the world, even only allowing couples to have one child isn't working.

The Coronavirus would wipe out millions of elderly Chinese people and bring down the population of China, they had no idea in would spread worldwide, if my theory is right we would never find out it would all be hush hush.

I wouldn't put it past them, would you?

Edit...The Chinese Government tried to keep it quiet back in early December, why?

Last edited:
Whatever you think of Boris he seems to get most things right...this will be no different. When all around are panicking he is the island of tranquility in a stormy sea...he reminds me a lot of Churchill, just instead of a cigar he likes getting his leg over. I like him.

Go Boris.

Are we talking about the same Boris? ................... or has the disappointment of the Benidorm cancellation put you on the pop a little early Hindley?

I concede that this "herd immunity" option, though a different approach to most of the rest of Europe, does make some sense. That said, the Government really needs to up it's game on it's very poor communications strategy.

Yesterday, we had the Health Sec (Hancock) tweeting a link to health information which was only available behind a newspaper firewall ............ a newspaper for which the PM used to be a contributor.

It's now been transmitted via the BBC (and others) but how pathetic is it in the first place during such circumstances to have a comms via selected outlets.

Nah, for me, it's still embarrassing that he's deemed the best we had to choose from.

It has been said for a long while now the greatest threat to the world would come from China

The Coronavirus was started in Wuhan, China if my memory serves me right, i'm sure i read that there is a Nuclear plant not far away, makes you think doesn't it?

Are we talking about the same Boris? ................... or has the disappointment of the Benidorm cancellation put you on the pop a little early Hindley?

I concede that this "herd immunity" option, though a different approach to most of the rest of Europe, does make some sense. That said, the Government really needs to up it's game on it's very poor communications strategy.

Yesterday, we had the Health Sec (Hancock) tweeting a link to health information which was only available behind a newspaper firewall ............ a newspaper for which the PM used to be a contributor.

It's now been transmitted via the BBC (and others) but how pathetic is it in the first place during such circumstances to have a comms via selected outlets.

Nah, for me, it's still embarrassing that he's deemed the best we had to choose from.

You should have said Moonay, I could have provided you with a transcript of said article 😉

In fairness given the gravity of the issue you’re right the Health Secretary’s comments shouldn’t be behind a paywall. There’s some wanting a daily press conference from the PM. Personally I think that can lead to saturation and the important messages and advice being lost through overload. Maybe daily briefings with a variety of government officials if it helps reassure people, with the PM or Hancock being wheeled out for the important stuff.

...... Maybe daily briefings with a variety of government officials if it helps reassure people, with the PM or Hancock being wheeled out for the important stuff.

This is exactly what Andy Burnham has said, reflecting his experience with H1N1 in 2009. (Link posted in Brexit thread).

I'm not saying that what's being done (in general) is wrong, but it certainly doesn't feel as if we're being led.

The issue is 2 fold;

1. The situation is complicated, almost counter intuitive, when Boris had his top medical staff explain last week people didn't quite understand.

2. There is a section of media, celebs, politicians, social media are stoking a panic and sharing false info for various reasons. These messages are getting through to many people more than the management strategy.

The best example I've seen is this video. It's really easy to get but a bit unconventional.

I think the strategy seems sensible but I think that it's not been communicated in a short, easy to understand way that everyone will see. Having long press conferences with experts isn't the optimum method of reaching the masses anymore - they should've had a short 2 or 3 min video on line with animations illustrating the message and send link out via sms to every mobile if possible, get it sent to everyone on social media and ask all tv channels to air it regularly like a party political broadcast. We are in an unprecedented situation but I think they could have easily managed the messaging better.

I'd seen that video KDZ. Simple and effective, isn't it.

As for the media, celebs, etc, I suppose they're filling a gap. Because there's nothing (or not enough) coming from "formal sources", they feel able/compelled to pass on their own views, rightly or wrongly, whether it be sound advice or misleading,

It's basic stuff. We shouldn't be getting it wrong. The thing is, Cummings hasn't come up with a 3 word slogan for it yet.

I'd seen that video KDZ. Simple and effective, isn't it.

As for the media, celebs, etc, I suppose they're filling a gap. Because there's nothing (or not enough) coming from "formal sources", they feel able/compelled to pass on their own views, rightly or wrongly, whether it be sound advice or misleading,

It's basic stuff. We shouldn't be getting it wrong. The thing is, Cummings hasn't come up with a 3 word slogan for it yet.

I suspect that is very much the problem, regardless of what anyone thinks of Cummings he is good at messaging but this communication seems to have come directly from the experts unfiltered for easy consumption. Maybe with the seriousness of the issue they didn't want to simplify or dilute the info and over estimated the reach and ability of the public to comprehend it. But I think it wasn't something that shouldn't have been hard to forsee. I knows it's a rapidly moving situation but I'd think they'd have multiple scenarios communication strategy and materials pre mapped out and created to ensure they were able to avoid confusion or misinformation filling any gaps.

Last edited:
.......I knows it's a rapidly moving situation but I'd think they'd have multiple scenarios communication strategy and materials pre mapped out and created to ensure they were able to avoid confusion or misinformation filling any gaps.

Instead, we get very little solid information, and the stuff that we do get seems to be over-ridden within a few days.

It's almost as if they don't want to be held responsible for making the "difficult" decisions, but rather, they'd let things get to the point where it's the only sensible thing left to do .................. it's the Yes Minister sketch brought to real life.

Very, very poor.

Problem is nowadays we have a shed load of half truths and fake bullshit peddled on Twitter....these armchair bound know nowts laughingly think any other bugger would listen to their pathetic ramblings or might give a flying fuck what conclusions they arrive at. Anybody dabbling on Twitter deserves one of draggers sex toys ramming straight where the sun don't shine ..... o_O

It’s a very good video clip - get some love island celeb to re do it and it may get the message through to some of the population that require that type of articulation.

Moonay, difficult decisions are being made and they are being communicated to those who need to do know so preparations are made before being communicated to the public. The situation is rapidly developing so information and advice will be outdated within a few days as the issue progresses. It’s a case of keeping calm and not letting prejudices and hysteria take over in the thirst for information that may not be ready for wider dissemination. As the media clip explains going to early on certain measures has negative consequences and is counter productive.

Problem is nowadays we have a shed load of half truths and fake bullshit peddled on Twitter....these armchair bound know nowts laughingly think any other bugger would listen to their pathetic ramblings or might give a flying fuck what conclusions they arrive at. Anybody dabbling on Twitter deserves one of draggers sex toys ramming straight where the sun don't shine ..... o_O

Of course ...... but not by the "formal agencies". Twitter is just the vehicle for sharing information ................... Just like this forum is the vehicle for folk sharing their view on all stuff Tics based.

It’s a very good video clip - get some love island celeb to re do it and it may get the message through to some of the population that require that type of articulation.

Where's Sophie Ellis-Bextor's mum when you need her ?!

Moonay, difficult decisions are being made and they are being communicated to those who need to do know so preparations are made before being communicated to the public. The situation is rapidly developing so information and advice will be outdated within a few days as the issue progresses. It’s a case of keeping calm and not letting prejudices and hysteria take over in the thirst for information that may not be ready for wider dissemination. As the media clip explains going to early on certain measures has negative consequences and is counter productive.

I could go with that, if those responsible in the Government didn't:
- post articles behind a newspaper firewall
- leak possible future strategies to individual journalists
- go on TV and suggest that one of the options open to the Government is to sit tight, do little, and let folk die.

A simple daily update should be a fundamental part of any comms plan. They could tell us what's likely to happen in next few days, preparing folk for what might happen. Proactive is far better than "Oh bugger, we thought that might happen"

By the way .......this tickled me ..... a lot.