So the managerial merry-go-round finally starts.. | Vital Football

So the managerial merry-go-round finally starts..

manta_ray

Vital Squad Member
So right now apparently Alan Pardew has been given permission to speak with Crystal Palace and Coloccini might get the Newcastle job.. you really couldn't make this stuff up - so it begins.. what next?!

Fabricio Coloccini set for Newcastle United job

Fabricio Coloccini is in line to be the next manager of Newcastle United after Alan Pardew’s move to Crystal Palace neared completion.

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner who is currently on holiday in Barbados, is ready to turn to the long-serving Argentinian club captain and central defender to take over as his seventh manager in the seven and a half years he has been in control at St James’ Park.

Pardew is on the brink of succeeding Neil Warnock at Selhurst Park, with a compensation figure in the region of £2m having been agreed between Ashley and Steve Parish, the Crystal Palace chairman. Alan Pardew reacts on the touchline Alan Pardew is on the brink of a move to Crystal Palace

Coloccini joined the club for £10.3m from Deportivo La Coruña back in 2008 when Kevin Keegan was the manager. He has been captain since Kevin Nolan was sold in 2011 and has been a key figure at the club. The defender, 33 next month, has become a demonstrative leader in recent months and enjoys a close relationship with Ashley. Despite a desire to leave and return to his native Argentina in 2013 because of personal problems after his wife moved back there, he stayed and helped play a major role in keeping Newcastle in the Premier League.

He was persuaded to return to England by Ashley and the then Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and it is believed that the possibility of succeeding Pardew was mooted during the lengthy negotiations to bring about his return. Since then his influence has grown and he played a major role in the decision to ostracise Hatem Ben Arfa at the start of pre-season when the mercurial French forward was not allowed to train with the first-team squad after two dressing-room clashes with Pardew.

Coloccini signed a new contract in 2012 that keeps him at Newcastle until 2016, but a new deal will be negotiated if he succeeds Pardew and becomes player-manager of the club. It is unclear whether he has the required coaching badges but Newcastle could look to give him a lesser title if there is a problem. He could be handed the job on an interim basis to begin with. Mike Ashley, who would have to pay £5m compensation to sack Pardew, has stood by him Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is currently on holiday in Barbados

Ashley had stood by Pardew earlier in the season when his team were on a dire run, having picked up just one win in 15 Premier League games.

Pardew had a £5m clause inserted into the eight-year deal he signed in 2012 which meant it would cost any potential new employers that figure to end his controversial reign in the North-east. That was also the fee it would have cost Newcastle had they sacked Pardew, as they came close to doing during that awful run.

Pardew was told earlier this month that there would not be significant funds to strengthen the Newcastle side when the transfer window opens on Thursday. That was a further blow. He had been left disappointed when the club, despite signing nine players in the summer, failed to meet his request to bring in a recognised central defender and a renowned centre-forward.

His lack of say in the transfer market – only Davide Santon, Gabriel Obertan and Rob Elliot were bought on his say-so – has been a continued issue. Ashley has relied on the chief scout Graham Carr, who, significantly, was given an eight-year deal before Pardew and his back-room staff.

Pardew is expected to take coach Andy Woodman with him to Palace but the futures of John Carver and Steve Stone remain unclear. Pardew missed training yesterday after returning to London on Sunday night after the 3-2 win over Everton, Newcastle’s first victory in five games.

He has remained a controversial figure ever since he was appointed the successor to Chris Hughton in 2010. A poll in the Tyneside newspaper The Evening Chronicle after his unveiling showed that he was the first choice of only 1.8 per cent. Yesterday the same newspaper showed that 71 per cent of fans would be happy if he took the post at Palace.

The Newcastle forward Papiss Cissé, meanwhile, who played a key part in saving Pardew’s position at St James’ Park earlier in the season, was charged yesterday with violent conduct after replays showed he had elbowed Seamus Coleman in the face during the victory over Everton.

I think the lure of London will be too much for Pard to turn down. Of course that'll leave the team ripe for the picking & just in time for New Years. Oh goody.

Saw a headline "Laughing all the way to the bank" with Pardew grinning on the cover. Money seems to be all that matters in football these days. Pardew leaving a club 10th at the table with 7 points from top 4 for a team in the relegation battle. In addition Newcastle have taken bigger scalps than we have this year! Money and the fact that Pardew has probably had enough of their fans.

Sherwood seems to be quite close to getting the Brom job if Pulis doesn't get it or decides to go to Newcastle. I don't believe a second Newcastle would give the job to Coloccini. If Sherwood does get the Brom job, it will be interesting to see if they play the same kind of football we did under him... at least there'd be lot of goals!

I can't believe Harry wouldn't go for the job at the Barcodes tbh - I mean there's all you need become a successful team, huge stadium, devoted (if a bit unrealistic) fan base and a well established premier league name. Looking at what he did with Pompey, i'm surprised he or Moyes haven't had there names thrown into the hat. Stink's of Ashley wanting to spend as little money as possible.

I can't remember the last successful last player/manager - could you count Ryan Giggs at United? Not exactly successful though! If Sherwood gets the West Brom job he'll lack the tools he did here and they'll go down imo..

Jables - 30/12/2014 11:30

Saw a headline "Laughing all the way to the bank" with Pardew grinning on the cover. Money seems to be all that matters in football these days. Pardew leaving a club 10th at the table with 7 points from top 4 for a team in the relegation battle. In addition Newcastle have taken bigger scalps than we have this year! Money and the fact that Pardew has probably had enough of their fans.

Sherwood seems to be quite close to getting the Brom job if Pulis doesn't get it or decides to go to Newcastle. I don't believe a second Newcastle would give the job to Coloccini. If Sherwood does get the Brom job, it will be interesting to see if they play the same kind of football we did under him... at least there'd be lot of goals!

Jables, in fairness to Pardew, you are ignoring his long emotional ties to Palace and the fact that he has spoken many times of his desire to get back to a part of the country he feels at home in - his main house is still at the edge of London.

The only part is that about a year ago (I think it was) when asked about the Palace job he said he had 'higher ambitions'..

Spursex - 30/12/2014 13:07

Jables, in fairness to Pardew, you are ignoring his long emotional ties to Palace and the fact that he has spoken many times of his desire to get back to a part of the country he feels at home in - his main house is still at the edge of London.

The only part is that about a year ago (I think it was) when asked about the Palace job he said he had 'higher ambitions'..

Ok, didn't know about his ties to Palace.

Jables - 31/12/2014 13:12

Spursex - 30/12/2014 13:07

Ok, didn't know about his ties to Palace.

:35:

So the ole unqualified misses out again ... Sob sob sob ....

oxfordspur - 4/1/2015 11:22

I know its not the Prem, but how long can Stuart Pearce hang on at Forest?

The man is a dinosaur - I hated him managing the U-21's and regularly vented here at how limited he was/is.

His struggles at Forest do not surprise me - he has the intellect and the tactical nous of an imbecile. He may well once have been a player with true grit, determination and single minded focus - but none of these qualities apply when it comes to coaching and man-managing a team.

Please Stuart, do yourself a favour and resign before you are once again embarrassed.

Spursex you could almost replace the name Stuart with the name Tim! It does seem that most of the British bosses have missed out through their insistence that they know it all.

Highgatespur - 5/1/2015 04:07

Spursex you could almost replace the name Stuart with the name Tim! It does seem that most of the British bosses have missed out through their insistence that they know it all.

Stuart makes Tim look and sound like a genius. Tim's one and only sin is that of many a young egotistical coach - inexperience.

Pulis now at the Baggies, Looks like a boing is on the way for them perhaps lol. Still nothing concrete at Newcastle though. Mind you the manager does not get to choose signings there and with a yes man in place I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley was actually picking the team. I wonder if he's booked in with the FA to do his badges yet?... And we think Levy is bad.