So, how is everyone feeling about Sunday? | Vital Football

So, how is everyone feeling about Sunday?

Edinburgh_Imp

Vital Youth Team
Well, I've got to admit, I'm pretty chuffed that I've been able to start a trilogy of these threads! I thought it would be interesting again to see how people were feeling about the big game, and whether the prospect of seeing the game live or on TV makes a difference.

I was really nervous for the first leg semi-final yet totally relaxed for the second leg - well, until about 5 minutes into the game and I saw how we started, then my emotions went on a bit of a spin cycle.

But, for Sunday, I'm just feeling really excited. I'll be watching on TV and can't wait for kick off. Just to be in this position is a massive achievement in itself, and 'if' we do lose, we've still got a lot to be proud of and a lot to look forward to.

After the Oxford game on Sky, I felt so disheartened and pessimistic about how the season was ending. But look at us now, a 'winner takes all' chance of heading into the Championship, nothing to be nervous about.....

Very chilled.

At some point, Blackpool's ridiculously good record in play-offs has to come to an end, and so too our ridiculously bad one. It is well beyond our turn to win one.

Relaxed (at the moment), but excited.

Watching on TV too.

Good luck to all who are going. Travel safely Imps. Bring back an unprecedented victory!

The belly wobbles have already begun for me. Currently trying to pass time at work here in Mansfield doing pretty much nothing. We will be travelling down tomorrow and stopping overnight in the Premier Inn in Edgware. We've had a great season and I can believe we are deservedly in the play off final. The bit that still seems unreal is, the prize of Championship football should we win.

Last edited:
Still pretty relaxed but that will change come Sunday morning I'd imagine. My first one of these watching via the telebox having been at both Cardiff play-offs and the Shrews match back in 2018.

Tension will increase as this is akin to the Southend match in my opinion, ie one where we have a really good chance of coming through it. The earlier one against Bournemouth was just a huge bonus considering how close we were to going under only months earlier and the Shrewsbury match was just a great day out at Wembley for the first time where the result was largely immaterial.

This, like the Southend match, is one we can win

Chilled, man.

Unlike the semi where I was a bag of nerves for both legs, I think the lads have surpassed themselves, making this something of a free hit. I also agree with the above that we have a good chance of winning, and I believe we will do so. Who better to end our play off hoodoo against than the best play off side ever? In other words I'm putting my trust in the football fates.

Excited more than nervous for sure. But as soon as the game kicks off I'll be far more nervous than anything else.

Chilled, man.

Unlike the semi where I was a bag of nerves for both legs, I think the lads have surpassed themselves, making this something of a free hit. I also agree with the above that we have a good chance of winning, and I believe we will do so. Who better to end our play off hoodoo against than the best play off side ever? In other words I'm putting my trust in the football fates.

I keep reading across various news outlets and social media about Blackpool being the most successful side in playoff history. I am confused why it is being mentioned like it has some bearing on this match. I am also amused by them being quoted as a famous old club. Not as old as City, joined the FL after City. Won fewer titles than City. The Matthews final aside they have hardly lit up football since being FL members. History will have no bearing on the outcome on Sunday, can someone please tell this to sky when they drag out footage of the Matthews final.

This week is dragging. Was not nervous for the Sunderland home game, (I was excited that I was able to attend a football match). The away game was an emotional rollercoaster. I feared the worst as Sunderland went 2 up in 23 mins, but we have a manager we can put our trust in to see what is not working and change it.

I am lucky to be able to attend on sunday and just looking forward to being at the game. If you were to ask me at 5 to 3 on Sunday I might be nervous.

I think we can beat Blackpool. If we can keep it tight at the back we are dangerous going forward.

Confident. No pressure on us whatsoever. I know we'll give a good account of ourselves.

Relaxed. Another free hit.

I disagree this could possibly be our best chance of promotion to the Championship ever. I am not saying it won't come around again but this season has presented us with a golden opportunity.

Next season will be a lot tougher than this on two counts lots of teams through promotion, relegation, takeovers etc will have a lot more money to spend than they had this season and we will be even further behind the big spenders. By MA's own admission this season we have attracted some unbelievable loan talent that we may not get the chance of again in such numbers. We may possibly be better next season but I think the opposition will ramp up considerably.

Let's be honest on our day we are as good if not better than anyone in this division and although everyone has Blackpool has hot favourites I just don't see it in a one off winner takes all match.

This is not a free hit this is a golden chance for something that most City fans haven't seen or can't remember in their lifetimes. I am excited and nervous because as history has proved this chance can sometimes take a long time to come round again. I was a young teen 39 years ago if we have to wait another 39 there is pretty good chance I won't be here to see it so come on Imps let's seize the prize and make some history!

Feeling happy we are there and going to just try and enjoy it whatever happens. I've heard people mention them as favourites on every preview based on form, playoff history, most clean sheets, etc but none have mentioned that in 2 games we've put 5 past them, they've not been able to beat us and our form has been hampered by injury, COVID and we have almost a fully fit squad now.

I'm expecting us not to go up (I have to or im a mess) and anything else will be an incredible bonus. Can't wait to clap out the lads!

I keep reading across various news outlets and social media about Blackpool being the most successful side in playoff history. I am confused why it is being mentioned like it has some bearing on this match. I am also amused by them being quoted as a famous old club. Not as old as City, joined the FL after City. Won fewer titles than City. The Matthews final aside they have hardly lit up football since being FL members. History will have no bearing on the outcome on Sunday, can someone please tell this to sky when they drag out footage of the Matthews final.
I agree with you on this. Yes Blackpool have had a number of seasons in the top flight, but history does not count on the day. If that was the case Sunderland would have walked the league this year.

I also see others looking at the last 5 matches both teams have played, and point to us only having won 1 of them (we would have won at Peterborough if Szmodics had'nt dived, We would have fielded a stronger side against Charlton (when we had already secured a play off place and both Promotion spots settled). Wimbledon a goalless draw (not a lot to play for), then 2 games against Sunderland, home win 2-0 and then 2-1 defeat last week. After the Sunderland home game everyone expected an onslaught from the start of the match from Sunderland as they had to do something to get back in the tie.