So, how is everyone feeling about Saturday? | Vital Football

So, how is everyone feeling about Saturday?

Edinburgh_Imp

Vital Youth Team
I thought the thread about Wednesday's game was really interesting, so I thought I'd ask the question again.

Personally, I feel a lot more relaxed about the game than I did on Wednesday - having a 2-0 head start certainly helps with that! However, I'm far from celebrating getting through already, anything can happen in football and some early goals from them will mean we're back to square 1. But, I'm confident that we can not only keep them out but can score goals too. And hopefully a couple of early goals for us will seal the deal and get 10,000 mackems on the home team's backs.

Agree the thread pre-Wednesday was interesting!

I'm a lot less relaxed that you, by the sounds of it, knot in the stomach already although there are other things contributing to that.

On the face of it 2-0 is a good defendable lead, MA and co will ensure there's no complacency.

But it will be the first time a few of the side have played in front of a large, hostile crowd. Last thing we want to do is concede early and last night I'd convinced myself that would happen, just because it's what happens. More optimistic today. An early Imps goal is always welcome, never more so than tomorrow.

Space booked behind the sofa!

As nlondonimp pointed out a day or two ago, Lincoln's first choice eleven has only lost two games on the road this season, and both by a single goal margin: Doncaster (0-1) and Plymouth (3-4). The cup match at Plymouth (0-2) was a shadow team, the defeat at Oxford (1-2) was a team hit by COVID and injuries, and the defeat at Charlton (1-3) was an exercise in seeing out the season without any further problems. That must stand us in good stead and offers plenty of confidence.

I weirdly feel less relaxed too. Before the first leg I somehow didn't think we'd win, and now I'm like oh my god we're 2-0 up

All I wanted was to be in the tie, and clearly mapp and the players had other ideas haha

Some would say 2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline. Maybe not mathematically or factualy speaking but in terms of psychologically.

It's so dangerous because its almost the purgatory of all scorelines. Not far enough away to be beyond all doubt but also not close enough to know 1 goal makes all the difference. Having the buffer of the extra goal is what can lead to downfall in this situation.

So no, I'm not more relaxed about it. If anything, less so. Losing the tie from this position would make it even more heartbreaking.

I’m feeling more relaxed than Wednesday but taking absolutely nothing for granted. First half critical. Cannot concede an early goal. Going to be an incredibly long 90 minutes but I would love to see us nick an early goal ourselves. If that happens I can’t see them doing anything except collapsing.

I agree with others who said that Wednesday's game thread was very interesting, and it's good that you've done another.

This is (part) of what I posted in the previous thread: "...how am I feeling? Right now, with less than 24 hours to kick-off, I am quite calm and really looking forward to it. I also believe (as many others have said) that the real pressure is on Sunderland. I see us gaining a valuable win, as we did against Scunthorpe in our first ever play-off game back in 2003.
We really have nothing to fear. It would be really brilliant to watch City at Wembley again, though...
...and why not?"

As I sit here and type this now, I feel almost more relaxed knowing that at the very least we have given ourselves more than a fighting chance to go through. Also note that the pressure on Sunderland is now more than twofold what it was before the first leg. I suspect that we will soak up a lot of early pressure and then score first on the break. If that does happen, it'll pretty much be game over as I cannot see a repeat of what happened at Peterborough striking us again!

Whatever the outcome, we have had a magical season and I have thoroughly enjoyed the latest ride on the Lincoln Loco!

We have the away form over the season and they will have a lot to prove after Wednesday - I can see us catching them on the break early on. Not to mention that a less generous ref might penalise them hard if they repeat Wednesday's antics.

MApp will have the squad prepared for the crowd - will it being a huge space dilute the effect of extra numbers? I reckon so.

Hopeful rather than confident, but looking forward to it!

I keep thinking back to 2003 when we had Scunthorpe in the play offs. We won 5-3 at home and then Yeo got a break away goal towards the end of the game at Glanford Park.

Hopefully we will score a few more times tomorrow to make it more enjoyable for us.

We have played in front of a crowd 3 times this season so far and have won all 3 games, scoring 10 and only conceding one.

70 / 30 that we will go through in my mind ie 7 times out of 10 we would/ should progress. I am pretty confident, but clearly an early goal in the imps net and things will get very tight.
My confidence is based on several factors, obviously our stupendous away form and Sunderlands less than average home form. Also it is likely in my view that on the counter, we will nick at least one more goal.. Most importantly though, I look at the two managers and it is clear who to have faith in. Appleton is tactically astute, Johnson is not and let's hope his bad streak continues. ( as per his usual managerial record)
The only real doubt is us being tie favourites. I don't like that and it does arguably give them a bit of a free hit. We don't want them to get up any head of steam.

my concern is their 'physicality/shithousery' - based on watching wyke's elbows and the way he took bursik out in the first half on wednesday; and o'nein's wrestling of grant and hopper.

i think they were trying/will try to manufacture some retaliation - a red card for us is their best chance. it has been mentioned on here that their only two wins in the last 11 games were against ten men. also concerned with 10,000 they will get some home advantage from the ref via intimidation.

i think they will be targeting bridcutt for an early yellow, and i also think they will target palmer if he plays.

this is going to re-define 'a tough one'.

A long walk is planned from 3.30 until 5.30 Saturday afternoon, just hope no extra time and pens when I get back to the car !

At the moment, slightly less relaxed than before Wednesday, although then I probably only expected a home draw. Guess it is because Wembley is now closer on the horizon, and potentially only this one game away.

Every faith that we will progress; expecting loads of shithousery and plenty of swearing at the TV. Sneak an early goal, don't defend too deep and the game is ours. Come on City.

Are you really not going to watch or listen to the game?
Not a chance ! I have to be there to enjoy as I did hugely on Wednesday, too nervous to watch or hear updates. Its 60 years since I last saw them in the old Div 2 and we can almost touch it again, beep brilliant !!
See you at Wembley :rolleyes:

Fairly chilled at the moment, just keep things tight and they’ll get frustrated and the crowd my get restless. I fancy us to score on the break the longer the game goes on level