Snow day stories | Vital Football

Snow day stories

Spursex

Alert Team
It really is comical in England, 17-20cm of snow and the place turns into utter chaos...

Day working in my study at home methinks..

I bet our international posters laugh themselves silly at the mess we get into over a bit of snow.

You'd think by now, we'd know how to handle it - not a friggin chance!

Ok today after an overnight thaw but I had to go out in it early yesterday. It was treacherous. The problem mostly being human error and idiocy.

I kept a decent distance from the vehicle in front. Slowed down in plenty of time for junctions. Made no sudden movements, no heavy braking. Slow round corners. Simple basic common sense and yet there were many examples where people had driven badly. A dual carriageway down to one lane of slush, the other thick snow and yet some people were overtaking me at over 45 mph in the fast lane , then 2 or 3 in front of me. Then cutting in and making us all brake which we could do without. Lorries doing the same despite many jack knifed and stranded on the route . The slush they threw up could have provoked a reaction from an inexperienced driver. I had to grip the wheel hard to stay on track as the slush got pushed into my path by its wheels . As I got home one last tight right hander which I slowed right down for. Coming the other way on a blind bend a 4x4 lost it and spun into my path. I stopped and avoided a collision. He held his hand up and smiled. A man in his early 60s I would guess.

It doesn't matter how careful you are , there are too many idiots.

It's no different here Nick. First snow, multiple accidents.

It's why I drive an all wheel drive car with snow tires. :5: Idiot avoidance.

Not having snow plows and snow traffic regulations is a common occurrence in regions where snow hasn't been the norm.

17-20cms of snow tends to do the same here so you're not alone. That's a decent storm.

I didn't go anywhere yesterday or today. In the car anyway. I had some fun yesterday though. As you say NRD you can be as careful as you want but it only takes one idiot to kill you. Plenty of them a round.

The crazy lot today will have warmed the roads up for everyone so should be back to normal tomorrow.

Spent 20 years in Scotland and they have no real issues when they get a deluge of the white stuff. Where I lived, grit buckets were aways full in many streets for local use, and people knew how to drive to the conditions. Climate change or luck...when I went up there initially I had a rear drive motor and it was rather dicey with the back sliding, so always put a few bags of cement in the boot in the winter to help traction, so when I changed my car I bought a front wheel drive...and for the next 10 years there was no snow ha ha...but was now prepared in case!

Nick Real Deal - 12/12/2017 15:50

My missus was throwing a paddy this morning. Her car was iced up and her poor little fingers were burning cold.

So Sir Galahad had to come to the rescue. ..

Have you started your car to warm it up....NO....right go and start it up and leave it running.....get the windscreen anti freeze wash out of my van and poor it over the windscreen and side windows.....leave it a while and start scraping.

In the meantime I dragged myself out of bed after having an empty can of de icer and scraper thrown at me. I got dressed and by the time I got out there the engine had warmed up and things had started to soften....including her temper. I did some interior work to the glass, scraping, de-misting and drying with kitchen towel then handed the car over to her ready to go.

Not a thankyou, you are a real man, you fix everything for me...nothing.

With three, sometimes four women in the house, I have encountered similar situations; fed up with this I bought a large container of rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit - a quart) off amazon and used three used mist spray bottles, and made up a solution of one cup water and two tablespoons liquid dishwashing soap, give it a good mix and pour into mist-ers - handed it to them and said 'spray this - and use as much as you like' - it worked like magic and costs the equivalent of about 10-20p per bottle of, instead of £1.50 or more from the garage.

They don't even have to scrape.

Sorted.

p.s. your wife was probably thinking - "if he loved me, he would have done it already and not watch me struggle".... the bastard!

Spursex - 12/12/2017 16:14

Nick Real Deal - 12/12/2017 15:50

My missus was throwing a paddy this morning. Her car was iced up and her poor little fingers were burning cold.

So Sir Galahad had to come to the rescue. ..

Have you started your car to warm it up....NO....right go and start it up and leave it running.....get the windscreen anti freeze wash out of my van and poor it over the windscreen and side windows.....leave it a while and start scraping.

In the meantime I dragged myself out of bed after having an empty can of de icer and scraper thrown at me. I got dressed and by the time I got out there the engine had warmed up and things had started to soften....including her temper. I did some interior work to the glass, scraping, de-misting and drying with kitchen towel then handed the car over to her ready to go.

Not a thankyou, you are a real man, you fix everything for me...nothing.

With three, sometimes four women in the house, I have encountered similar situations; fed up with this I bought a large container of rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit - a quart) off amazon and used three used mist spray bottles, and made up a solution of one cup water and two tablespoons liquid dishwashing soap, give it a good mix and pour into mist-ers - handed it to them and said 'spray this - and use as much as you like' - it worked like magic and costs the equivalent of about 10-20p per bottle of, instead of £1.50 or more from the garage.

They don't even have to scrape.

Sorted.

p.s. your wife was probably thinking - "if he loved me, he would have done it already and not watch me struggle".... the bastard!

You could market that stuff Ex. Go like big scale Breaking Bad production in your garage ready for the winter and coin it. You could even add some blue colouring to identify your own pure recipe.

My best snow day story did not happen this year but quite a long time ago when we were living in Swansea. One day we had quite a big fall of snow and there was a wind driving it, It was very fine snow and it drifted into lots of areas where it didn't normally. As we were going to bed that evening, I got up to the landing upstairs and there was a tiny little thud on the carpet and I thought i had dropped something but examined the floor and.... nothing there. I carried on to the bathroom and as I did it happened again. So I looked up and there on the frame of the attic entrance hatch was a single drip, forming slowly. So I got the step ladder and opened the hatch door and was gobsmacked as snow fell copiously on top of me. I was covered. I looked across the attic and it was at least 6 inches deep in snow, a foot deep in places. We had no lining to the roof and the roof tiles had a small gap between them and the wind had driven the snow through, into the attic. We cleared around 10 plastic sackfuls of snow out of the attic!

I went into my next door (semi detached) neighbour, an old lady, to warn her about it and we got up into her attic, which was identical to mine and it was EMPTY! Well actually it had a tiny bit in one corner, like 2 inches? About a handful. CRAZY but the wind was obviously not in MY favour.

The next day, as we were all clearing the drifted 2-3 foot of snow on my side of the road, my neighbour on the opposite side of the road, whose drive was completely clear of snow (!) was leaning on his gate and taking the piss out of us all shovelling away and saying, "Anyways lads, I'm off to town, see you later!" He then went to his garage and opened the up and over door........ To reveal a GARAGE COMPLETELY FULL OF SNOW! We wet ourselves laughing in sheer unbelief. The snow had driven under his garage door, filled up the void between the front bumper and the floor and then blew over the top of the car bonnet as far as the back wall and filled the garage up from the back, forwards. It was BIZARRE!

By this time we had cleared most of our drives and as we left for town, we all shouted, "Well, we're off to town now Bill. See you later!" That was crazy for me but so funny.

:151: :151: :151: :151: :151: