Smart Home | Page 2 | Vital Football

Smart Home

Good price on the door bell but it’s not the Ring one. It’s a looalike copy. CHeck it has full functionality

Good price on the door bell but it’s not the Ring one. It’s a looalike copy. CHeck it has full functionality

Looks identical to me, would be against the sales of goods act the way they have sold it if true. Not bothered by the make if the functions are the same in all honesty, however for a fairly large (and I believe, not used them before) trusted company, this would be sharp practice.

Interesting!

Yes mate I’m sure it is perfectly ok but it’s 100% not the one supplied by Ring. You can get them online from amazon. This one doesn’t have a mains option so you need to buy lithium cells to power it. But if it works fine then I will get one!

I've got a couple of Eufy smart plugs which have proved really useful, much more versatile than smart lights. One's connected to a light which I can switch on remotely if I'm back late. You can also program them to switch on and off to a schedule or to a count down timer. I've also got a Worcester Bosch Wave central heating controller. As far as music goes with music stored centrally on a Network Attached Storage device a couple of bluetooth speakers enables me to listening to music in any room by using one of the many free DLNA clients for phone or tablet.

Looks like a bit of a fraud then, linking to the product they are charging 75% less of, if it isn't the same product, that's not legal.

I don't understand what the problem is J? Have I missed something.

I can't see anywhere that they have said it is a 'Ring' doorbell, it just says a wifi security video doorbell.

Why wouldn't they be allowed to sell a cheaper version of a doorbell from another manufacturer?

It's misleading. The picture is the same, the link says it is 75% off the price of the one you think you are buying.

Not that bothered to be honest as long as it works, which it will, but it is sharp.

It is like some of them linking to a site saying we are 50% cheaper than these, and it turns out that it is their site. Seen a few things on that sort of practice. They don't link to sites you know as a comparison.

But look at the pictures of the door bell, it's identical, so you would think you are buying the identical product.

Well yeah I agree it is very dodgy, but I don't think it's illegal.

The picture is of the product you are buying... if you compare it to an actual RING doorbell the RING one is all Black at the top where as this cheap one has a silver bit at the top.... very similar though.

They don't actually say it's 75% off the price of a RING doorbell it says....

"We’re offering you a WiFi security doorbell for just £34.99, saving you 75% off Wow What Who’s price of £139.99 (correct as of 31.10.18)."

if you click that link it takes you to --

https://www.wowwhatwho.com/index.php/wifi-security-doorbell.html

I've never ever ever heard of that site before... it's like they've set up a separate site just to offer their cheap crap at high prices so they can then reduce them again.

So yes, extremely shady, and very dodgy, but not illegal as at no point do they say it's a RING doorbell.

They'll lose customers this way though.. I'm assuming you'll never use them again and neither will most people reading this post.

Yes, the saving you 75% off Wow That's Price of.... that implies it is saving you the money on the same product.

Yeah it's saving you 75% off the product you are buying, because at one point they had it priced higher on some dodgy website nobody has heard of.

So it's accurate in that sense.

But dodgy as hell.

Aye, as you say, won't be using them again, not that I'm particularly bothered, if it works I'll keep it, if it is rubbish they'll get it back.

They should say 75% cheaper than this competitor then you know. Hey ho.

Back to smart homes.... !

It's similar to DFS and the like isn't it?

All their sofa deal where they say 70-80% off etc... they usually just up the price by 70-80% for 1 week, then lower it again and can then legally say it's a 70-80% reduction.

Pretty shocking they get away with it.

But they are at least saying 75% off their own stuff, not implying it is 75% cheaper than the exact same product elsewhere.

The law is an ass though!

Back on subject, I actually realised the most useful bit about all this today. I have a command for when I leave the house, and it ensures everything that should be off is powered down.

I would always be leaving something on. In real life asking for a Sonos to play an album isn't that practical, because i Like to browse and see what I want to listen to. Making sure it stops playing and all the lights and Everything are off is brilliant.

Hello.
As goes the smart home I have a mixture.
1. Phillips Hue lighting. Bought these bulbs as I have the ambilight TV so the bulbs match the colours on Tv. I have 3 of these in the living room. 2 sidelights and 1 main light. Also just had a new kitchen so got the Hue striplights 5m worth under cupboards and on plinth. Comes with a remote control which i have just set up to control the kitchen only.
Hue works with Google on Android and Siri. So when I go to bed I just say Hey siri turn off the lights et voila. Also can say hey siri turn on (light A) etc.
Have hive for heating and also got 3 bulbs, 2 motion sensors and a smart plug. Hive was supposed to work with Siri but it’s been years since they promised this. Hive thus only works with google on my phone so it’s Hey google turn off the lights.

Hive light in bedroom and lamp plugged into smart plug so just turn them off from phone.

2 motion sensors in bottom bathroom and utility turn on the smart bulbs when you walk in.

Hive heating also uses an app so can turn on from phone or ipad.

Music wise I was thinking about ceiling speakers but they are expensive and not that great sound apparently. I heard some recently and they sounded great so a bit miffed I didn’t install. They can work off bluetooth and connected to the power so useful. I just ended up buying an Anker bluetooth speaker which is fine for the kitchen.

Never underestimate lying on the sofa with ipad to turn on lights, especially when i have the kitchen strip lights on meaning i don’t have to get up to turn them off when going off to bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 5
Hello.
As goes the smart home I have a mixture.
1. Phillips Hue lighting. Bought these bulbs as I have the ambilight TV so the bulbs match the colours on Tv. I have 3 of these in the living room. 2 sidelights and 1 main light. Also just had a new kitchen so got the Hue striplights 5m worth under cupboards and on plinth. Comes with a remote control which i have just set up to control the kitchen only.
Hue works with Google on Android and Siri. So when I go to bed I just say Hey siri turn off the lights et voila. Also can say hey siri turn on (light A) etc.
Have hive for heating and also got 3 bulbs, 2 motion sensors and a smart plug. Hive was supposed to work with Siri but it’s been years since they promised this. Hive thus only works with google on my phone so it’s Hey google turn off the lights.

Hive light in bedroom and lamp plugged into smart plug so just turn them off from phone.

2 motion sensors in bottom bathroom and utility turn on the smart bulbs when you walk in.

Hive heating also uses an app so can turn on from phone or ipad.

Music wise I was thinking about ceiling speakers but they are expensive and not that great sound apparently. I heard some recently and they sounded great so a bit miffed I didn’t install. They can work off bluetooth and connected to the power so useful. I just ended up buying an Anker bluetooth speaker which is fine for the kitchen.

Never underestimate lying on the sofa with ipad to turn on lights, especially when i have the kitchen strip lights on meaning i don’t have to get up to turn them off when going off to bed.

Wow. You must be rich! lol

Wow. You must be rich! lol

Far from it.
Hue kit with remote is £100 on offer for 3 bulbs, hub and remote.
Strip lights were £80
Hive heating £200 back in 2014.
Sensors and bulbs on the Hive plan at £10 a month.

Some people go mad with Hue and the GU10’s which cost £50 each. I have 9 in my kitchen and no way can i justify spending £450 on kitchen lights !!

I work in the security industry and do know a little about smart homes.

The problem with having different products is they all have their own app rather than work on one.

This is where Google and Amazon come in for both when you either in or out. I've recently been testing a device for work that uses one platform to work multiple devices. However it has 2 drawbacks being the app is not free and not many devices work with it at the moment. A company called Hikvision are about to launch a similar device shortly which also supports an intruder alarm and cctv. I will post again when I see it working. There are other EU products doing similar functions but I'm not sure if they do a UK version.

With regards to smart lighting, a cheaper way is to fit smart light switches meaning you keep your current bulbs. This is a cheaper way of doing the whole house and something I'm looking at.

A lot of these devices also depend on how good your wireless coverage is within your house. You may need to invest in boosters if it's not great.

The products are quite expensive at the moment, but those prices are expected to fall dramatically in the near future.