Slow it down Alli.. | Vital Football

Slow it down Alli..

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/dele-alli-must-slow-things-down-to-achieve-superstar-status-as-new-tottenham-contract-looms-a3637241.html

Dele Alli must slow things down to achieve superstar status as new Tottenham contract looms

COMMENT

Tony Evans

Dele Alli has enviable swagger. He knows he is good.

Last month, against Newcastle, the 21-year-old was pitted against Jonjo Shelvey. The Tottenham midfielder’s lofty disdain for his rival, who dominated the Championship last season, was such that Shelvey lashed out at his tormentor and was sent off. When the prince and the pauper met, it was never a contest.

Alli has presence. He is a young man with almost limitless possibilities in the game.

Last month, he parted company with his longstanding agent, Rob Segal. His ability is such that the world’s hottest player representatives are queuing up to get Alli on their books. Jorge Mendes and Mino Riola, the superagents, are circling the kid from Milton Keynes with dollar signs in their eyes.
[delealli1809-0.jpg]

Photo: Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty Images

This places a lot of pressure on a relatively inexperienced individual who is far from the finished product.

Alli has the class to justify the hype but distractions can undermine the progress of an evolving player. His exuberance has led to avoidable controversy.

The most recent bout of silliness came at Wembley earlier this month, when he made what he insists was a jokey offensive gesture towards Kyle Walker during England’s win over Slovakia. Middle-finger salutes while playing for the national side are never a good idea, especially when in close proximity with a referee who had just ignored an appeal for a free-kick.

Seeing that Alli is serving a three-match European club ban for an appalling tackle he made against Gent in February, it was not a good look.

The England midfielder’s talent is unquestionable; his decision-making is still suspect.

That applies to his game, too. In the 0-0 home draw against Swansea City on Saturday, nothing seemed to work for him. It was an off-day but it illustrated wider issues. Alli needs to decide what type of player he wants to be, particularly if he harbours thoughts of playing abroad.

Goals are a huge part of his game but if he becomes little more than an auxiliary striker, it would be a waste. He has much more to offer than thrusting forward runs.

The Premier League’s pace and physical nature cause some players to neglect subtlety in favour of power and speed. Alli’s eagerness to drive into the opposition’s final third is thrilling. Sometimes Spurs would be better served if their star midfielder sat deeper, surveyed the pitch and picked a pass instead of surging upfield.

Alli has the quality to slow the game down but rarely does. That skill is crucial at the highest level. Gareth Bale, at Real Madrid, has learnt to operate at a more sedate pace. When the Welshman then turns on the afterburners, it is hugely effective. Bale’s goal against Real Sociedad was a great example of how to use a change of tempo to create an advantage.

Trippier reveals 'character' Aurier has settled at Spurs

The Spurs youngster’s passing range and vision can be undermined by his urge to do things faster than his opponents. It is a shame. Few players have Alli’s delicacy of touch and knack of unlocking defences.

At the moment, too much of Alli’s effective work is performed in overdrive. Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen play in a more considered, intelligent style. They are older than their team-mate and he could take a few lessons from them.

There are times when Alli looks like he wants the side to revolve around him. That arrogance is a good thing, yet the midfielder will be even better when he pays more attention to the team’s shape and less to his own performance.

Spurs looked tighter and more coherent defensively without him against Borussia Dortmund. He needs to show he can bring similar discipline to the side in big games.

There will be more distracting times ahead. Daniel Levy wants to make sure his stars are still at the club when the new White Hart Lane opens - planned for next season - but Alli will be in demand when the season ends.

Tottenham’s wage structure makes their players ripe targets for wealthy suitors. Even the new, £100,000 per-week contract that will be negotiated in the coming weeks will be way below the going rate.

Thoughts of a move are premature, though. Until Alli can master top-six Premier League opponents the same way he destabilised Shelvey, he will not be ready to make the step up to Europe’s elite. To do that, he needs to help Spurs to the next level.

Whatever the next few months hold, Alli may be better served by slowing things down - both on and off the pitch.

Drop him to CM and he will learn new skills and become more disciplined. With Wana injured, moose struggling seems like a no brainer to give him a run as a CM.

In his first season here his best form was playing next to Dier.

I agree it might be good for his development, but it just seems if we're struggling for goals this season dropping our 2nd top scorer to a deeper position might not be the answer

freundorfoe - 18/9/2017 14:37

I agree it might be good for his development, but it just seems if we're struggling for goals this season dropping our 2nd top scorer to a deeper position might not be the answer

Personally, I can't see how that would help us at all either; we don't need to experiment with him, we know what he can do - yes he might be going through a low-patch, but he'll come out of it soon enough, he's had almost no patches of poorish form since we bought him, so it's no surprise to me to see him having one now .

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/mauricio-pochettino-hits-dele-alli-13640340

Mauricio Pochettino hits Dele Alli with stark honesty over the midfielder's slump in form

The England international hasn't scored for Tottenham since the draw with Burnley

ByAdam Jones

06:30, 19 SEP 2017Updated07:06, 19 SEP 2017

Mauricio Pochettino has claimed that Dele Alli need to find balance in his performances again if he wants to recover from his relative slump in form over the last few weeks.

The England international has been a revelation since joining Spurs and his almost meteoric rise has been well documented over the course of the last two season.

However, the 21-year-old now hasn't scored for Spurs since the draw against Burnley, despite having numerous chances over the last few weeks to increase his tally for the season.

And Pochettino has now hinted that Alli's rise may have happened too fast, and that he needs to re-find his balance in order to get back on track for Tottenham.

"The player is not only what we see on the pitch. He is not just a number," Pochettino said.

“We need to see the player as having a lot of things happening around them. He is not just furniture.

“There are a lot of things that affect them, and that are around them, when they are young. He went from zero to 100.

“He did very well in the last two seasons and it’s not easy for a young player to keep this level and show this level in every game.

“It’s about maturity about finding your balance in training, competing in your life... everything.

'I want Dele Alli to leave my club!' - Fans turn on Spurs star after another lacklustre performance

“I am happy with Dele’s performance. He is doing very well. His potential is still massive, but he is still young and we need to help him find that balance so he can sustain his career.

“We just have to help Dele, support him and push him every single day. Then, with the talent that he has I am sure he will score again.”

I hate social media in news. Lazy journalists can search for one stupid comment by a dimwit fan on line and frame it as 'Spurs fans' in general.

ahx00 - 19/9/2017 11:21

I hate social media in news. Lazy journalists can search for one stupid comment by a dimwit fan on line and frame it as 'Spurs fans' in general.

When I was coming back from Wembley on Saturday I was listening to five live phone in - the Spurs 'fans' made me cringe, panic, OTT reactions; unbridled hatred towards some of our players - especially Alli - and our manager.

It made me sick to the stomach. Twitter was no better.

Spursex - 19/9/2017 11:38

When I was coming back from Wembley on Saturdat I was listening to five live phone in - the Spurs 'fans' made me cringe, panick, oTT reactions; unbridled hatred towards some of our players - especially Alli - and our manager.

I agree with you on this issue, SS. That is just bloody crazy. I don't care how much Alli would fetch, I see him as being one of the core group that we just mustn't sell. Although we could all see with our own eyes the players not performing that well on Saturday, I'd be laying ultimate responsibility, as you know, on the managerial side of things. Alli is a great talent and player.

cliffy - 19/9/2017 11:58

Spursex - 19/9/2017 11:38

When I was coming back from Wembley on Saturdat I was listening to five live phone in - the Spurs 'fans' made me cringe, panick, oTT reactions; unbridled hatred towards some of our players - especially Alli - and our manager.

I agree with you on this issue, SS. That is just bloody crazy. I don't care how much Alli would fetch, I see him as being one of the core group that we just mustn't sell. Although we could all see with our own eyes the players not performing that well on Saturday, I'd be laying ultimate responsibility, as you know, on the managerial side of things. Alli is a great talent and player.

The boss takes the accolades, and should always take the dingbats; fair or unfair - but the sheer panick, the venom being spurted towards our own players was quite disgusting - of course it was a massively disappointing result, but it's clear that there are a sizable chunk of our supporters who can't put anything into context - it was like a throwback to the vitriol that had flying around for the last 12 months under Harry - maybe we need to go back to changing managers every 18 months?! :21:

Whilst I agree in general, there's several posters on here who seem happy to see the back of Alli. Absolutely ******* ridiculous if you ask me but that's what they're saying.

Alli hasn't scored for 4 games ? I'm not sure that is how to measure his performance. I have said I think he tries too much flashy stuff but it's part of his make up.

Has anyone gone beyond perception and actually broken down his performances with a microscope. ? I saw him come back and rescue a dodgy situation in MF against Swansea. He provides lots of movement which occupies the opposition defence, he was on the end of a cross with his head but got it wrong while 3 ft off the ground which can happen . A dip in a few performances from Alli could be he didn't score or assist but I think it's too early to flag it up.

Bald Archie - 19/9/2017 13:32

There is something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

B.A., if you are that certain, then you are aware of it. So what is it?

cliffy - 19/9/2017 13:57

Agreed. What is it Archie? Or is this conjecture? Fine if it is. I think he has checked out. I hope I'm wrong.

cliffy - 19/9/2017 13:57

I don't have any inside knowledge Cliffy, but we have all seen how unhappy he has looked this season. The non-celebration of that goal he scored being the most obvious, but his whole demeanor seems odd. Then we have that statement from Porky which skirts around the houses, and if there were no issue I wouldn't have thought there was a need for any sort of statement.

Initially I thought that it was becuae he had had an approach from on eof the giants and been told that he wasn't going to be allowed to go - and I see him as super-ambitious with no great tie to us - or that he was not happy with our transfer window as it really wasn't what a club would do that had just finished 2nd and with ambitions to go one better.

80deg16minW - 19/9/2017 15:56

That's a fair assessment.

Spooky's good, you could almost hear him thinking what an absolute bunch of tossers some of our more fickle fans are...

Some experienced insight into what may or may not be troubling Alli now.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/concern-tottenhams-dele-alli-bbc-videos/

Dele Alli’s commercial career is a concern for Ian Wright: He needs the right people
DELE ALLI is in danger of his commercial career taking over his football, according to Arsenal legend Ian Wright.
By Andy Wilson
PUBLISHED: 16:35, Tue, Sep 19, 2017 | UPDATED: 16:41, Tue, Sep 19, 2017

Dele Alli is set to start for Tottenham against Barnsley

Alli played a starring role at Tottenham last season, scoring 18 goals in 37 league appearances.

But Wright fears he is at risk of falling into a commercial trap and thinks the Spurs star needs to surround himself with the right people.

“There’s fortunes around a player of Dele Alli’s capability, there’s fortunes,” Wright told BBC 5 Live.

“There’s people earning livings just off of being in and around him, and Mauricio Pochettino is absolutely right, you do need to have the right person around you.

“Whatever happens with Dele if he continues doing what he’s doing, on a marketing level as well, he can make an absolute fortune.

You need to have the right person around you

Ex-Arsenal star Ian Wright

“People are looking at that now, whereas what you also need is someone who will say to him when he comes off the football pitch ‘you’re not doing this and you’re not doing that’.

“You need that person because what can happen is the marketing and commercial side of your career literally takes over.

“You find that you’re not working on the things that you should be working on and that is the big worry I have for Dele right now.”

Alli has registered two goals this campaign and is set to start against Barnsley tonight in the Carabao Cup.