Slav, managerial facts | Vital Football

Slav, managerial facts

Mahatmafoot

Vital Squad Member
When he came here I just knew he'd taken Fulham and Watford from the Championship so thought we're onto a good thing here. Now he's gone I checked his record out.
Fulham - the season he took over they had been in the Prem for 13 consecutive seasons, compared to our 11 in over 50 years and the Pigs 15 in 36 years , so had the infrastructure, players and financial backing to get back up. It actually took him four seasons to get there and he was relegated in the first season back, despite transfer spending of over £115 million during his tenure. He was sacked and replaced by Claudio Ranieri.

Watford - surprised he was only there from October 2014 to May2015 being the 4th manager in 5 weeks. He took them up that season but was not offered an adequate contract to stay there and went to Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Make of it what you will.

Fulham fans say the club didn’t open the cheque book willingly and he had to fight to get certain players he wanted not always getting what he wanted,makes no odds now he’s gone let’s learn from it and move on if we’re going to bring someone in like that in future let’s make sure we have everything needed to back them up

Wasn't Slavs managerial record common knowledge, he achieved two promotions from the Championship that's what fans focused on, no surprise really.

I think he came unprepared and late ie not until July...........and then realised he'd bitten off a lot more than he could chew.

Am sure he's a good manager - but just didn't seem a good fit with our squad and where we're at.

I didn't just assess him on the two promotions, I read what the Fulham and Watford fans said about him and it was almost universally positive especially the wonderful football they'd seen under him. That excited me more than getting promoted again. To be honest I was more than happy to take an extended break from the Premier League and be thoroughly entertained for a while especially after last season's debacle. That of course was before I realised what a bloody mess we're in financially.

The owner/board appointed Slav to replicate what he did at Fulham and Watford and achieve promotion asap, entertaining football would have been a bonus. Unfortunately it was a flawed plan because clearly the owner didn't have the wherewithal to back him, hence the new plan, losing track of the plans we have had. Every year we stay in the Championship the harder it will be to sit at the top table, hopefully we get lucky again and Hecky replicates what Wilder did. The Premiership is a hard task master but owners, managers, players and fans want to perform in it, seems strange if that isn't the aim.