SL on Radio Kent tonight | Page 3 | Vital Football

SL on Radio Kent tonight

What?

In Big Brenda's Massage Parlour?

I ... erm...only went there for the articles. Some very interesting articles. On the walls.

Was David Crown that surprising a choice? Admittedly the start of Lovell's time at Gills was a bit early for me, went to the odd match here and there at the end of the 80s but didn't really start going properly until the early 90s, but he was the first name that came to mind. And just the kind of player we could do with now as well.

I ... erm...only went there for the articles. Some very interesting articles. On the walls.

Was David Crown that surprising a choice? Admittedly the start of Lovell's time at Gills was a bit early for me, went to the odd match here and there at the end of the 80s but didn't really start going properly until the early 90s, but he was the first name that came to mind. And just the kind of player we could do with now as well.
Yes I agree, he was probably my favourite player of the time, in my early years of supporting the Gills. He had the uncanny knack of still managing to score after it looked like the chance had gone.

Generally came across well but they seemed to pick callers with very bland questions.

The last woman actually seemed to be repeating the word "yes" to agree with him before he had finished his answers. She seemed a bit star struck.

The thing it did confirm for me though is he is not a man with a Plan B let alone a Plan C. He talked about GO4 and the diamond with Dack being key at the top of it. That worked well at the time because Dack didn't get injured or suspended like he did the season before last.

Similarly he kept talking about how much better we will be when he has everyone available but that really happens, We were missing Charles-Cook, Bingham and Zak on Saturday. I don't think we would have been the only League One side with three players on the side lines. I seem to remember us having about 9 missing for a game a couple of years ago.

Generally came across well but they seemed to pick callers with very bland questions.

The last woman actually seemed to be repeating the word "yes" to agree with him before he had finished his answers. She seemed a bit star struck.

The thing it did confirm for me though is he is not a man with a Plan B let alone a Plan C. He talked about GO4 and the diamond with Dack being key at the top of it. That worked well at the time because Dack didn't get injured or suspended like he did the season before last.

Similarly he kept talking about how much better we will be when he has everyone available but that really happens, We were missing Charles-Cook, Bingham and Zak on Saturday. I don't think we would have been the only League One side with three players on the side lines. I seem to remember us having about 9 missing for a game a couple of years ago.

One is our captain and most important player in the defence, one has been our best player going forward until getting injured (RCC). The other could be a very good defensive midfielder (what we have sorely lacked all season) if Lovell would only play him in that position.

That was the part that concerned me... about him playing the diamond this year and how he played Dack at the tip of it a few years back. That's all well and good but we don't have anyone in the squad who has an ounce of Dack's quality. Who did he have in mind to play "the Dack role"? RCC? Rees? Neither played a football league game before... Then what if either got injured, like they have? What's the plan B?
I liked the way he changed formations etc last season to match up the opposition but he hasn't seemed to do that once so far. Parker has played as the top of the diamond but doesn't look up to it. Just seems like bad planning to me and back to square pegs in round holes when the first 11 isn't available.

I think that managers have conversations with the chairman about what he needs to succeed. If i was a manager and the funding was not right i would walk away. I wouldn't acquire a load of dross and cross my fingers. I feel this is the case with regards to most of the squad periphery. Our first 11 are passable but there's no back up (bar Fuller possibly).

I feel sorry for SL BUT i also feel football managers wait for the sack for financial reasons. If you loved the club but results were not forthcoming you'd walk away - wouldn't you?

I thought my question was a fair one but, as others have said, all the questions seemed to be from starry eyes supporters.

I'm sick of seeing a team just about managing to avoid the drop to league 2. Flirting with a play-off place feels that's where we should be but finances are never going to be great without the big crowds and a big investor.

It's feels like the club is dying a death by a 1000 cuts.

Let's see how Saturday pans out - I'd love us to beat 'borough.

If you loved the club but results were not forthcoming you'd walk away - wouldn't you?

Not if you had faith in your players / own ability to turn it around.

I thought my question was a fair one

Put yourself in Lovell’s position. If he answers that he would walk away then he makes a rod for his own back and if we’re fourth bottom at Christmas he’d either have to resign or go back on his word and be called a liar.

If he answers that he would wait to be sacked that sends an awful message.

The only way he can answer is with a straight bat and say he’d do everything he could to turn things around, and avoid actually answering the question.

That’s why it is a shit question.

You’re very lucky if you can afford to walk away from a job simply because it’s not going well halfway through a project.

I may be generalizing but i thought players walk away from football with a good pension that normally pays up when they retire.