sky sports presenters row - n/g | Vital Football

sky sports presenters row - n/g

On the occasion I watched them on match day, I always found the format awkward as you had a panel of people sitting there watching separate matches waiting for something interesting to happen to talk about for 30 seconds. Between something interesting happening on the pitch, Jeff Stelling would need to fill the dead air.

They were all competent enough with none of them outstanding but none of them on Garth Crooks or Michael Owen levels of "why are you here??" levels either.

I know Le Tissier got into trouble with the bosses as he said he didn't want to wear a BLM badge on TV on grounds of not agreeing with BLM's wider anti-Capitalism and "defund the police" objectives although he was anti-racism. I really would not be surprised if his removal is more to do with him being a white person who is considered racist for making critical statements against BLM.

I suspect that ultimately all three were removed for being straight white males and we'll get some evidence (one way or another) depending on how many of the three replacements tick one of the following boxes:

a) Black or mixed race
b) Female
c) Lesbian.

Watch it quite regularly when Gills are away or I've been working so not made a home game. The three replaced were not outstanding but they did have a chemistry with Jeff who kind of moulded and linked the show to make it work. Whether the show works with the new panel and has that chemistry only time will tell I guess, I suspect not.

Is this move to get in better pundits or to tick political correctness boxes, I suspect the latter with the hope that it achieves the former in the process.

I don’t mind Lineker. ‘Jeff’s Lads’ usually have no analytical output, and some have no character/studio ability too, so relied on the others taking the piss out of them. But the more informal nature of the programme allows them to get away with it - as long as you get a replacement in who can hold their own and fit in then I don’t mind.

It’s the formal analysis before and after live games which needs change. The Souness/Hanson/Keane dinosaurs fuck me off the most. I’d happily have the likes of Alex Scott replacing them.

Alex Scott is a far better analyst and is so natural and comfortable in front of the camera that she’s starting presenting shows.

They weren't amazing pundits but very few of them are. It doesn't strike me as an ability based change though.

Seems a bit convenient that they're getting rid of the all the older white guys and are being likely replaced with young minority people.

Personally, I have no need for any pundit to either tell me what I’ve just watched or explain a goal in a match I’m not watching.
It’s basically a filler because one person cannot speak for too long.
It’s the same with the news channel special correspondents . It’s literally just to fill time.
I record Quest EFL and fast forward through the chat.
I sometimes record motd but do the same.
I have no interest in what Lineker or Shearer have to say.
My biggest gripe is the boring bastards that they roll out for internationals.

They weren't amazing pundits but very few of them are. It doesn't strike me as an ability based change though.

Seems a bit convenient that they're getting rid of the all the older white guys and are being likely replaced with young minority people.
So every time a white guy gets sacked now is it going to be a 'race thing'?

Just as not every time a black person is stop amd searched is it racist, not every time a white man is sacked is it racist (or positivie discrimination to use the politer term) either.

Those 3 arent great. I think they need a refresh. Jeff Stelling is good/funny though. Chris Kamara is great value on any show he's on. Purely because he's quite simple, but still good value. Agree sky could get some fresh blood on there to liven it up a bit.

Wish that the BBC would get rid of Gary Linneker, couldn`t care less who they replace him with !
Never understood why people hate Gary Linekar so much?

He seems to do a decent job presenting it. Sometimes his pundits chosen arent great, but he does a good enough job for me.

BT obviously thought so too, as they got him in to present the european football too.

Never understood why people hate Gary Linekar so much?

He seems to do a decent job presenting it. Sometimes his pundits chosen arent great, but he does a good enough job for me.

BT obviously thought so too, as they got him in to present the european football too.
I loathe him because of his smugness. Shearer too has little new to say.

So every time a white guy gets sacked now is it going to be a 'race thing'?

Just as not every time a black person is stop amd searched is it racist, not every time a white man is sacked is it racist (or positivie discrimination to use the politer term) either.

If the company doing the firing have mission statements saying they are looking to promote diversity and then only white men seem to be fired and replaced by non-white men then it probably is down to discrimination in those particular cases.

On the occasion I watched them on match day, I always found the format awkward as you had a panel of people sitting there watching separate matches waiting for something interesting to happen to talk about for 30 seconds. Between something interesting happening on the pitch, Jeff Stelling would need to fill the dead air.

They were all competent enough with none of them outstanding but none of them on Garth Crooks or Michael Owen levels of "why are you here??" levels either.

I know Le Tissier got into trouble with the bosses as he said he didn't want to wear a BLM badge on TV on grounds of not agreeing with BLM's wider anti-Capitalism and "defund the police" objectives although he was anti-racism. I really would not be surprised if his removal is more to do with him being a white person who is considered racist for making critical statements against BLM.

I suspect that ultimately all three were removed for being straight white males and we'll get some evidence (one way or another) depending on how many of the three replacements tick one of the following boxes:

a) Black or mixed race
b) Female
c) Lesbian.

Utter and complete tosh. No evidence just snide suggestion and assertion.

If you look across all the channels long serving presenters are leaving some sacked, some resigning. The media world got tougher and more competitive through covid. Advertising is down, budgets are going down and all may not survive. It's a shake out.

Utter and complete tosh. No evidence just snide suggestion and assertion.

If you look across all the channels long serving presenters are leaving some sacked, some resigning. The media world got tougher and more competitive through covid. Advertising is down, budgets are going down and all may not survive. It's a shake out.
I agree.
If a stale format needs shaking up then so be it.
BAME are massively over represented both in the tv medium and in football in particular.

Let's assume an imaginary world, in which recruitment is gender and colour blind. We would expect to get a roughly even distribution of selected candidates, reflecting the wider population. In this situation someone leaves, or is sacked.. anyone, any clour/gender. Just over half the population is female. 14.6% is not white. A white, male candidate would be quite a likely outcome but slight odds against.

In general terms I'm more aggravated by the dynasties: Dimblebys, Snows and the sons and daughters of ex cabinet ministers. I also think that many more should retire before their eighties, preferably at normal retirement age. I'd make an exception for Attenborough but the rest should shuffle off and spend their millions.

I'm not over convinced by ex footballers always knowing best because fans are better and more attuned spectators. I like shotshy can do without a good deal of commentary but it's easy to turn down, or off.

Let's assume an imaginary world, in which recruitment is gender and colour blind. We would expect to get a roughly even distribution of selected candidates, reflecting the wider population.

That is very much an imaginary world..

In the real world for any given job, you wouldn't find anywhere near 50% of candidates being male and the other half being female. Women tend to be drawn towards certain careers and men towards other.

As per https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...rce-diversity/school-teacher-workforce/latest

1598539507864.png

Are we to conclude that there is some sort of sexist misandry attitudes within education that sees women being over employed in education? I await the feminist movement in calling for equality between the genders to fight for more men to be employed in schools!

If everyone is free to pursue the career that they want to do and are free to follow their dreams, does it really matter if a company doesn't have an even 50-50 split between the genders etc?

Research has actually shown that the more liberal and equalitarian a country is, the wider the divide in jobs taken by each gender and race.

That is very much an imaginary world..

In the real world for any given job, you wouldn't find anywhere near 50% of candidates being male and the other half being female. Women tend to be drawn towards certain careers and men towards other.

As per https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...rce-diversity/school-teacher-workforce/latest

View attachment 41708

Are we to conclude that there is some sort of sexist misandry attitudes within education that sees women being over employed in education? I await the feminist movement in calling for equality between the genders to fight for more men to be employed in schools!

If everyone is free to pursue the career that they want to do and are free to follow their dreams, does it really matter if a company doesn't have an even 50-50 split between the genders etc?

Research has actually shown that the more liberal and equalitarian a country is, the wider the divide in jobs taken by each gender and race.

Of course it's an imaginary world, that's what I stated. You hop about to protect your prejudices but they keep shining through.

I'm not interested in a debate about education but how many headteachers are female?

Professional football has a greater proportion of black players than simple demographics would suggest. I might expect that to be reflected in the proportion of black presenters and producers of football programmes. I am not asking for set percentages to be demanded but it's pretty obvious that recruitment has been too narrow over the years. The first female presenters and commentators were not well received by many male fans and viewers. That is changing and rightly so.

You were the one making unsupported allegations of placement, quotas and artificial appointments. It sounds like you find change difficult.

Anyone remember that awful presenter who used to commentate on Gills away matches.
She screamed when we won a throw in.