Six Hitters Storm Terriers: Manchester City 6 Huddersfield 1 – Johnny On The Spot & Stats - Post Match Reaction Thread | Vital Football

Six Hitters Storm Terriers: Manchester City 6 Huddersfield 1 – Johnny On The Spot & Stats - Post Match Reaction Thread

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
A CLASS ACT. City veterans David Silva and Sergio Agüero spearheaded a rampant Manchester City performance at The Etihad leaving David Wagner’s erstwhile successful stifling tactics in tatters. The Terriers, whose defence was constantly reduced to paper kites in a wind tunnel were relentlessly ripped apart with consummate ease.

“Spanish Dave” making his 250th Premier League appearance was the architect of a sizzling display by Pep Guardiola’s Centurions who have already registered 10 goals in the season’s first three competitive fixtures and to a man are going after the ball as if their lives depend upon it. Up top, the brilliant Kun Agüero recorded a 9th Premier League hat-trick drawing level in the record books with Robbie Fowler. He is now closing in on another record. Only the BBC’s shrewd pundit Alan Shearer with 11 trebles lies ahead of the legendary Argentine.

Johnny’s Man of the Match: Benjamin Mendy. The powerful Frenchman scared Huddersfield to death with his pace, his barrelling runs creating havoc. Whilst deploying his trickier players to work in and around a parked bus and benching most of his sprinters, Pep clearly earmarked a weakness on the hapless visitors right side with his team selection and Blue Mendy bought right into the game plan with aplomb. A fit and firing Walker-Mendy overlapping axis is going to be a fearsome choice of weapon.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootbal...ty-6-huddersfield-1-johnny-on-the-spot-stats/

Last edited:
Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports:

"(I'm pleased) with the three points, the way we played. We started better than last season. We made a good performance in 90 minutes.

"Last season Huddersfield played five at the back. We decided today, we would play with two strikers. All the players made a good performance. We could not attack in this way last year because we did not have Benjamin Mendy, he is so clever to go up and down. When we have we are able to attack in that way.

"The pass was outstanding, the control by Sergio Aguero. I never saw him like this since I was here, he is in an incredible condition with the ball and without the ball.

"I thought to take Sergio off before the hat-trick but in the end it was perfect, he scored a goal and off to a standing ovation."

Leon Osman

Former Everton midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Fantastic performance from Manchester City, you can't single out one player. Yes Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick and both Silvas were terrific.

Huddersfield were glad to hear the final whistle.

I wonder if there is any way that Mendy and Sane can play together in that they often occupy the same space? Maybe Delph/Sane and Mendy/Sterling are more workable pairings?

Missed the whole game as the family had me playing taxi service. I need to catch up and find some highlights.

Cracking scoreline by the way.

I wonder if there is any way that Mendy and Sane can play together in that they often occupy the same space? Maybe Delph/Sane and Mendy/Sterling are more workable pairings?
I think Pep found a way to beat park the bus tactics by the terriers and did not need a back four, Walker was also left out besides Sane and Sterling, our three fastest players. Better teams will require a 433, so the young Sane will get plenty of time on the paddock. The real question is has he dropped to third choice winger, well that is up to him with his performance on the pitch.