Sir Gareth Ainsworth! Always a class act when he comes back and acknowledges our fans! Would you have him back as manager when the Cowleys move on? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Sir Gareth Ainsworth! Always a class act when he comes back and acknowledges our fans! Would you have him back as manager when the Cowleys move on?

I remember going to Scarborough for the last away game of the season and the fans didn’t stop singing his name for the whole 90 mins. It was a 2-0 ( Stant got both I think). He was almost worshipped by everyone at that time.
On a side note I think they didn’t allow our fans to bring in a drum on safety grounds but when we got into the ground the Scarborough fans had a full drum kit in use on an unused terrace

So that gives him license to play the appalling style of football served up last night - absolutely disgraceful - and by the way one incident happening in a mili-second of a Wembley final does not equate to 90 minutes of taking the p1ss

It took years for Ainsworth to gain respect at Lincoln, 90 minutes last night to lose it . If that is what it takes to gain promotion I would rather not bother. Just hope there was no trouble last night post game, if there was , both he and the inept Officials we partly to blame.

Let’s hope we march on with Danny and Nicky for a few more seasons. I hope and honestly think they’ve the capability of getting us into League 1. So if we got no further and they decided they’d taken us a far as they could and moved on, then I’d be looking for a manager that could get us to the Championship. Is that Gareth ? I’d need to be convinced with what he had achieved between now and then.

I’m not disagreeing, I was very disappointed in them and as frustrated as everyone else, aided and abetted by a shocking ref, just pointing out that he was a cult hero, and his halo has dropped

I reckon it was 9 minutes in, when the time wasting started and around 1.5 mins for a throw in to be taken in the first half.

I have no problem with teams putting 11 behind the ball, playing the long ball, short ball, or playing like Barcelona or Barnet. But when the the intention from the off is to have the ball in play as little as possible I find it an insult to the people that have payed there hard earned, to watch the game.

Credit to the Wycombe fans for turning up for that,they may be happy with a point but all very sad for football.

9 minutes? Wasn't it first minute when their keeper instead of throwing the ball to their player to take the throw, threw it in a random direction.

Blimey this thread has spread out a bit since last night and it seems that Gareth is now behind Chris Sutton and Steve Tilson in many peoples eyes. for being our next manager, whenever that may be.

If this game was played last September/October Wycombe's tactics would probably have been different, but the reality is that with so few games remaining they see this as a good point earned for them and will probably be the result that pushes them over the automatic promotion line.

I would love all games to be two sides of Dutch total footballing expertise gracing the pitch, but that ain't the reality of modern football and I still maintain that should Gareth's name be mentioned many years hence when the brothers move on I won't be one of those who will reflect upon the tactics used in this game, but the likely rewards they bring.

Not my cup of tea but I'm sure plenty of opposition fans have said our style wasn't theirs either
Ultimately they are 3rd in the league going into the final 3 rounds of games
If they start away to Sunderland next season in L1 the Wycombe fans in attendance won't care much about how they got there

Unbelievable comments on here about Ainsworth especially from Collingham. The man is still an Imps legend regardless of his side’s display last night. I do wonder whether some of those with negative comments about him actually saw him play for us.

The standards of my comments reflect in absolute terms the standards of his style of football management - attempting to correlate his playing career with the Imps in times gone by in no way justifies last nights highly cynical display - if that's the style you guys are condoning then you perhaps aren't the the type of football fan that likes to be entertained by two sides trying to entertain circa 9,000 people who paid good money to watch a side not interested in a positive approach to the game

The standards of my comments reflect in absolute terms the standards of his style of football management - attempting to correlate his playing career with the Imps in times gone by in no way justifies last nights highly cynical display - if that's the style you guys are condoning then you perhaps aren't the the type of football fan that likes to be entertained by two sides trying to entertain circa 9,000 people who paid good money to watch a side not interested in a positive approach to the game
Not condoning the style. However will not trash the off field person nor the history of one of the club's most iconic players in their long history simply because he set his team up to do a job effectively against us.

Agree. Watched lots of footi at SB and away over too many years, but cannot remember a more cynical display of tactics than that on display on Tuesday night. ( only Chester at home a few years back when we kicked off an hour late springs to mind comes anywhere near ) Felt cheated that we missed out on what could have been a really good entertaining game. I wonder over the 90 minutes how long the ball was actually in play. If we had scored early, which we did imo, I am sure even Ainsworth would have had to alter his approach, but how can you watch that every week which is meant to be entertainment ?. I don't expect teams to come to SB and gift wrap the points to us, but to adopt that sort of approach will drive supporters away. On to Saturday !!

Wow, this is an OTT thread. Who cares how Wycombe played. They got the point they wanted, so fair play to them. I hope we set up to get the results we need at Cov and Accy, and if that means a more cynical approach than normal I don't care. Right now I don't want to be entertained, I just want to get in the play offs.

On to Colchester.

"I just would not want to go back to that type of completely cynical and frustrating play."
Let's be right, a keeper dropping to the floor feigning injury so that the manager can reorganise the shape and distribute specific tactical instructions to players is about as cynical as it gets without involving aiming to injure an opposition player