Sir Gareth Ainsworth! Always a class act when he comes back and acknowledges our fans! Would you have him back as manager when the Cowleys move on? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sir Gareth Ainsworth! Always a class act when he comes back and acknowledges our fans! Would you have him back as manager when the Cowleys move on?

Oh come on.

The critics need to take a long hard look at our tactics.

The drop to the floor of the GK, whomever it is, for a tactical time out. This isn't basketball you know. We often take an inordinate amount of time on our throws etc.

Gareth came to do a job. He did a job. If we had put one of our many chances away, we would have seen a more urgent Wycombe side. We didn't. So they didn't change. It is up to the match officials to sort this out and if they had possessed a back home and sorted it out, then it would have ended. It is just a part of the game. It happens in cricket all the time, with the slowing of over rates and silly tricks to disrupt the batsmen from scoring and to put them off their stride.

Besides in his post match interview DC said "I've done it. So I am not going to criticise him (Ainsworth)"

Ainsworth is not under our employ. He is paid by Wycombe to do a job for them. It may not be attractive. It may bend the rules to breaking point, but there are four people of whom are meant to enforce those rules, and if they don't then that is not Ainsworth's fault.

Yes it was straight out of the John Beck coaching manual. By and large he had a good record as a league manager and he got results. FA Cup QFs twice with Cambridge and nearly took them all the way to what is now the Premier League.

He also took us from a pushover to facilitate our promotion to the old Division Three.

Ainsworth came here to do a job. He did the job with excellence and deserves credit for it. When you look at that coldly, and without red and white blinkers on, you can appreciate that.

If we are not good enough to beat that system, and we weren't, then it just looks and sounds like real sour grapes.

If the situation occurred, I'd have him back here in a heartbeat.

All teams push at the boundaries of the laws/spirit of the game in some form or another, because the officials are human, and teams know that one Ref will have a differing view from another. A case of looking for an advantage in inconsistency.
The only way around it is to have Robots officiate the games, and then what would we have to moan about?

All this reminds me of what Alan Durban said years ago when manager of Stoke City:

“If you want entertainment, you could go out and get a bunch of clowns."

To be fair without red and white blinkers - LCFC have adopted game management tactics wouldn't deny that but its all about degree - haven't seen us employ those tactics for the full 90 minutes of the game - WW got a draw but lost a lot of credibility, along with Ainsworth - the ref and linesmen were pretty modest too and that only added to WW's frustrating tactics - 2/3 yellow cards earlier on for time wasting would have put a stop to the game playing.

Glad I didn't post directly after the game, and thank goodness this thread has become somewhat more rational. What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander.

They came to do a job and get a point, in the end they might have had all three.

I bet Gareth still smiles when he looks in the mirror, he out game managed the Cowleys; that hasn't happened too many times in the last couple of seasons. Danny will quietly respect him for it. It is a mark of DC that he was not prepared to be a hypocrite and have a moan about the tactics or the manager.

Time to move on, and evolve a game plan that stops Colchester doing the same thing on Saturday. :hmmm:

Last edited:
Danny wasn’t too happy with the referee’s performance - or the fourth official’s, come to that - but he certainly wasn’t about to criticise Ainsworth or the tactics he employed. He was full of praise for him.

Did anyone hear Ainsworth’s post match comments afterwards? That’s his job interview sorted out in advance.

Ainsworth was under Beck as a player for around 5 years. It was bound to have rubbed off. His record of goals at City was almost 1 in 2 that surely has to be respected. Management is about getting results, whether we like it or not he is making a pretty good fist of things albeit not pleasant to watch. We only have to witness his tactics twice in a season, we push the boundaries, Wycombe pushes them a little farther.

Danny wasn’t too happy with the referee’s performance - or the fourth official’s, come to that - but he certainly wasn’t about to criticise Ainsworth or the tactics he employed. He was full of praise for him.

Did anyone hear Ainsworth’s post match comments afterwards? That’s his job interview sorted out in advance.
Link?

As an aside, and again, I wasn't there Tuesday night, there's a difference between game management and what it sounds like Wycombe got up to on Tuesday.