Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Page 6 | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

First 3 photos show the Railway Terrace just a few days before its demolition. The second photo, in particular, shows how narrow it was. For some reason, though, it didn't seem that narrow to me when I was in it. The lads at the back would often whack it really hard to make as much noise as possible. A decent crowd could generate quite a decent sound.
West Bank C (R).jpgWest Bank D (2R).jpgWest Bank L (2R).jpg
The photo below shows how little the space in between the Railway Terrace and the St Andrews Stand has changed very little over the last 30 years. Still too much space!!
St Andrews Stand and Railway Terrace (2 R).jpg
This was how it used to look at the back of the St Andrews Stand.

Rear of St Andrews Stand (2R).jpg
So, after being part of Sincil Bank for many a year, the time finally came for the Railway Terrace to be demolished. For some reason, when I happened to be passing by one day, the gate onto the Sincil Bank Terrace was open so I thought I'd take a look and see how demolition was going. I manged to take this photo before being chased off!
Railway Terrace Demolition (R).jpg

Was the railway terrace always that small or was it taken down portions? Memories play tricks but I always thought it went back as far as the current Stacey West does. Mind you I was always right by the front, dugout side of the goal

Was the railway terrace always that small or was it taken down portions? Memories play tricks but I always thought it went back as far as the current Stacey West does. Mind you I was always right by the front, dugout side of the goal
The railway embankment was at an angle to the terrace. From the SB terrace, particularly at night, the far St Andrew's corner looked like the Kop or Stretford End, tapering to barely 2 or 3 steps deep at the Sincil Bank side.

Looked strange to visitors I expect, but part of the character of the ground as many if us first knew it.

The railway embankment was at an angle to the terrace. From the SB terrace, particularly at night, the far St Andrew's corner looked like the Kop or Stretford End, tapering to barely 2 or 3 steps deep at the Sincil Bank side.

Looked strange to visitors I expect, but part of the character of the ground as many if us first knew it.

I seem to remember until the late 80s you could access the St Andrews side of the Railway End up steps at the back of the terrace, hard up against the railway embankment, so that you entered via the top of the terrace. It was a reasonable size, the terrace at that corner. The West Bank side was very shallow though.

I seem to remember until the late 80s you could access the St Andrews side of the Railway End up steps at the back of the terrace, hard up against the railway embankment, so that you entered via the top of the terrace. It was a reasonable size, the terrace at that corner. The West Bank side was very shallow though.
I can corroborate the railway access. I seem to recall there was a flap of corrugated iron you had to be careful not to snag yourself on.

And of course the terrace curved round the corner a bit towards the St Andrews stand. I can't remember if it merged into the St Andrews paddock. I don't think so though, as there was vehicle access for disabled 3 wheelers and ambulances.

I seem to remember until the late 80s you could access the St Andrews side of the Railway End up steps at the back of the terrace, hard up against the railway embankment, so that you entered via the top of the terrace.

There's a photo on this thread a few pages back showing those steps in later years after the shelter was removed.

“Win up to £1000” - wonder what the equivalent would be today?!
It doesn't say what year the pic was taken but i started attending in 1980 and im pretty sure that hut was there then and according to the bank of England inflation calculator, a grand in 1980 is was worth £4320 in 2019 ( doesn't go upto 2020). Bet there weren't many £1000 winners .

It's seems quite appropriate, given Liam's comments the other day, to post some photos showing the construction of the Stacey West Stand. By March, 1990 the Railway Terrace was no more. By May, 1990 its replacement, the new stand (not sure whether it had been officially named the Stacey West Stand at this point - perhaps the historians can advise) was well on its way to becoming part of Lincoln City FC's skyline. For a time, if you lived on the right side of the road on Sausthorpe Street, you would have got an excellent view of City's home games! Worth bearing that in mind if you are considering a move into the area in July 2021ish and we are about to kick off the new season in the Championship!! Also interesting to be able to see how much space was created for construction by the removal of the old railway embankment.
Stacey West A (2R).jpg

Stacey West D (5 R).jpg

Stacey West B (2 R).jpg

Stacey West C (3 R).jpg