Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories | Vital Football

Sincil Bank (West Bank) Terrace & Railway End Terrace 17/02/1990 - Memories

Sigiriya

Vital Reserves Team
West Bank B (2R).jpg
Following on from how a previous post was received I thought that I would do a follow up and show how other parts of our dear old ground looked 30 years (yes, 30 years!) ago. No complaining then about having to stand and watch the Imps on an uncovered terrace during a rain storm. If you wanted to watch the Imps then you paid your brass and then had to endure whatever the elements threw at you.
I well remember standing on this Terrace watching the Imps play out a 1-1 draw with Torquay United on 17/3/1987, along with my brother and 1,184 other hardy soles (total attendance of 1,186 for the mathematicians amongst us and, if I am correct, City's lowest ever crowd for a Football League game), on a dreadful, midweek, night. How we didn't win that night I will never know, but we didn't, having hit the woodwork on a number of occasions. Had we won then we would have had 2 points more and Torquay one less and it wouldn't have mattered one jot how many players police dog Bryn bit a few weeks later.
The date of 17/02/1990 is significant. On that date the Imps played Colchester United, ending up winning the match 2-1 in front of 3,284 spectators. It was the last league match that fans were allowed to use the old Railway Terrace End. The last ever time that fans were able to see a match from the old Railway Terrace End, again if my memory is correct, was a few days later on 19/02/1990 when City beat Moscow Torpedo 2-1 in a friendly (obviously).
Over the course of the next few days I will post a few more photos of this part of the ground and the Railway End Terrace. Hopefully, it will give younger viewers of this forum an idea of what the ground used to look like before its conversion to an all seater stadium, and will stir a few more memories for us older folk.

I can't remember where but I've listened to Christ Ashton's attempts at reading the Torpedo Moscow team out prior to the game. It's somewhere on the internet, just thinking about it makes me chuckle. Can anyone please dig it out???
Looking forward to seeing pics and reading stories.

Sincil Bank terrace was where my dad took me for my first couple of seasons usually watching from the half way line by those railings so would have been very close to where that photo was taken from.

When me and a few mates started to go ourselves it was behind the goal in the Railway end as you could walk to the front of the old St Andrews if we were attacking the other way. Always remember a group of about a dozen old geezers in the right hand corner of the Railway ( as how that photo was taken) who would moan throughout all matches irrespective of how we were playing

I can't remember where but I've listened to Christ Ashton's attempts at reading the Torpedo Moscow team out prior to the game. It's somewhere on the internet, just thinking about it makes me chuckle. Can anyone please dig it out???
Looking forward to seeing pics and reading stories.
I was at that game too. We were pissing ourselves over Cwises team announcements. Storming Lormers debut I think with a goal too.

We always stood at the back around the centre ramp. Quite a wide terrace but relatively shallow. Was on it for the Wycombe conference game. Now that was sardine time. Very sad to see the West Bank go but at least it’s replacement was top drawer. Will try and find some pics I have for the thread.

I received in the post this week one of my old Season Ticket books from 1970, cost 5 pounds 10 shillings. It was found by a family member inside a copy of a Football Focus magazine and had been untouched for 50 years.
I used to stand on the halfway line, with friends, on the Sincil Bank Terrace and spent many a freezing afternoon developing a life long passion for the Imps.
Still hooked.

When it rained there was always someone in front of you with a brolly, so you couldn't see anything. The tea hut had Bovril at thermonuclear temperatures and the half time football scores were placed in a lettering system on the pitch side of the wall, to correspond with the information inside the programme. On a darker side, a well known footballer in the lower leagues was Cess Podd, one of the rare black players around in those 1960's days. I think he played for Bradford City. The abuse he got from the city fans regarding his colour was horrific. He even said many years later that it was some of the worst that he'd ever heard. Strange when you consider that most City fans in those days had never even met a black person.

I received in the post this week one of my old Season Ticket books from 1970, cost 5 pounds 10 shillings. It was found by a family member inside a copy of a Football Focus magazine and had been untouched for 50 years.
I used to stand on the halfway line, with friends, on the Sincil Bank Terrace and spent many a freezing afternoon developing a life long passion for the Imps.
Still hooked.

This is developing into the 25,000 who went to Southport, we too stood 'halfway up, halfway along ' on the Sincil Bank side, happy memories. Shallow terracing, interesting toilets ! , would not go back compared to what we have today. Now sit 'halfway up , halfway along' and don't get wet. No trains to watch anymore !! UTI.

I remember watching an England v Wales Under 15 Schoolboy Internatinal at Sincil Bank from the west bank terrace. Think there was around 6000 there watching it. Probably would of been in the 70's but cant remember the exact date.

I remember watching an England v Wales Under 15 Schoolboy Internatinal at Sincil Bank from the west bank terrace. Think there was around 6000 there watching it. Probably would of been in the 70's but cant remember the exact date.
Think this was during the 70/80 season. We went with our school and were in the old South Park stand.

Sorry for the poor quality but these are photos of photos. No dates for the West Bank shots but most likely early 90s as the railway bridge has gone. Obviously the COOP ones will be around 93/94.
C39319F3-73B4-44D9-BAB1-95CA4F6172CF.jpeg
It was a bit grim on Sincil Bank in those days
E6465F41-96D7-4A04-9CCE-A160674A5707.jpeg
The COOP or Linpave as it was going up
D2E49834-0336-4F49-931C-A1251729DC83.jpeg
DC9B1637-2EDE-4CEE-A8F8-E1B67A868478.jpeg

Thanks for the photo. I was at all three of the games mentioned, in the RE for Torquay and Torpedo, only on the Bank for Colchester - about half way up, half way along :yes:

My first Imps match and most of my pre- and teen Imps games were from that terrace, also often around the half way line, amongst the 20,000 others who were also there :hmmm:

When we could, subject to crowds and later segregation, we'd migrate to opposite whichever penalty area the Imps were attacking.

All of 75-76 seen from there and clearly the highlight of those times.

Any shots of the tea hut? We always liked the tea in August and January when it was strong, it would get weaker thereafter....

Thanks for the memories. Interestingly, until reading it on this forum a while ago I had never heard the Sincil Bank terrace/side being called the West Bank terrace

That what where I stood for most matches before moving away from Lincoln, starting with my dad taking me when I was 8 - I squeezed onto the wall as close to the half way line as poss, while he stood a few steps back. A rattle, home made scarf and pom pom hat followed; and the standard song was 2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate etc. It was also the terrace on which I introduced my wife (then girlfriend) to watching the Imps

On occasions went to other parts of the ground - the most "famous" occasion in the Railway End being for the replay against Derby. Hammering down with rain I went in there with my brother, two cousins, and school mates, while my dad stood as usual on the Sincil Bank side getting an absolute soaking

And yes, I remember the perennial moaners - best moment was during the Newcastle game when we went 2 - 1 up, the chant "we want 3" went up, with them joining in - still kept their hands in their pockets and fags in their mouths, though!

Halfway line for me too, right on the wall from the early 70’s and moved back three or four steps as I got older. Always seemed to unintentionally migrate a few yards towards the railway end during the game for some reason. Had a season in the Stacey West whilst the coop was being built and then picked my current seat in upper 4