Sincil Bank 1980’s v Oxford | Vital Football

Sincil Bank 1980’s v Oxford

berksimps

Vital Football Hero
1599980059122.jpeg

Referee John Hough of Macclesfield (left) with managers Colin Murphy & Jim Smith during a pitch inspection - Lincoln City v Oxford United, January 1984.

Wasn't sure that all the youngsters on this board would be interested as the first photo is black and white and appears to show a cafe thing on the terrace and old bridge in the background. The 617 area was about as full then, as it was on Saturday.

It also shows the epitome of a bobbly pitch, the like of which are unseen today.

The colour photo is more about Oxford than Lincoln players. It does however show an improved version of the current stand. What a pity it was made of wood and had to be replaced by the existing carbuncle.

Wasn't sure that all the youngsters on this board would be interested as the first photo is black and white and appears to show a cafe thing on the terrace and old bridge in the background. The 617 area was about as full then, as it was on Saturday.

It also shows the epitome of a bobbly pitch, the like of which are unseen today.

The colour photo is more about Oxford than Lincoln players. It does however show an improved version of the current stand. What a pity it was made of wood and had to be replaced by the existing carbuncle.

Does this site have a youth team.

It was at the time of the 1983 match that he wanted to merge Oxford United and Reading to form a club called Thames Valley Royals to play at a new ground to be built at somewhere like Didcot.

God,id forgotten about that. How on earth could someone in the position of chairman be so totally out of touch with how football fans think. It would be like us amalgamating with the cods and playing at Louth. It's enough to make you want to vomit. I'd rather go bust and start again in the lower reaches of non league than lose our identity and join with that lot and I'm sure they feel just the same.

God, I'd forgotten about that. How on earth could someone in the position of chairman be so totally out of touch with how football fans think. It would be like us amalgamating with the cods and playing at Louth. It's enough to make you want to vomit. I'd rather go bust and start again in the lower reaches of non league than lose our identity and join with that lot and I'm sure they feel just the same.

Not quite the same, but it's on a par with moving a club from south of London to play 60 miles away at a new town in the Midlands.

It's important to educate the young 'uns!

It was a cold and snowy day - apparently the referee had trouble holding his whistle and had to put gloves on.

That game was an absolute ice box with sleet and snow showers all day and a biting cold wind. Blinking freezing and a 2-2 draw to boot.

It was a cold and snowy day - apparently the referee had trouble holding his whistle and had to put gloves on.

If my memory is not playing tricks it was also very windy and I remember almost been blown off when crossing the railway bridge. If I recall the conditions were in our favour as we were 2-0 up at half-time with Oxford taking advantage during the second half to level at 2-2.