Sign it for Greavsie | Vital Football

Sign it for Greavsie

Spursex

Alert Team
JEFF POWELL: Jimmy Greaves is a genius with a heart of gold and yet is without honour in his own country... come on, act now before it is too late
  • Jimmy Greaves is a genius that remains without an honour in his own country
  • He remains the man with the most goals in the fewest appearances for England
  • To this day, Greaves still remains Tottenham's all-time leading goalscorer
  • He has a heart of gold and as he nears 80, time is running out to bestow honours
  • Sportsmail now calls for a national hero to be given the honours that he deserves
By Jeff Powell for the Daily Mail
Published: 22:30, 11 February 2020 | Updated: 22:30, 11 February 2020

Time is running out for the great Greavsie. Sadly, there is no other way of putting it.
Our beloved Jimmy will be 80 in barely a week and now needs constant medical care.
Yet he is still holder of the record for most goals in the top division of English football, be it First or Premier. Still Tottenham's highest-ever goalscorer. Add on nine in no time for AC Milan and still top scorer across the elite European leagues until Cristiano Ronaldo overtook him only three years ago.
24567678-0-image-a-12_1581361391458.jpg

Time is running out to honour Jimmy Greaves as the ex-England striker prepares to turn 80

Still the most goals for England in the fewest appearances.
Still no gong. Still not so much as the doff of a cap towards the most elegantly efficient purveyor of goals this nation has witnessed.
Still a genius without honour in his own land. Come on. Time is running out.
Time to act before an OBE for Jimmy goes the same way as the knighthood never bestowed on his friend and England World Cup room-mate Bobby Moore.

24567716-0-image-a-15_1581361463055.jpg

+4

So if this is retribution for his reaction at being omitted from the team for England's solitary World Cup final — heading straight to the airport with his wife Irene instead of to the victory banquet in a West End hotel — then let the FA say so.
If this is payback for the way he criticised the FA — and how he and his mate made a mockery of government on their TV show Saint and Greavsie — let's have it out. As it happens, Ian St John has not been gonged either.
If testimony as to the character of Greavsie is required, then these pages have included more than just my affirmation that here is a genius with a heart of gold.
Such natural humility coupled with forthright honesty is not easily found among the giants of sport, least of all in legends of the football field.
Greavsie would never dream of suggesting he is worthy of an honour.
His illness has rendered him virtually unable to speak. So allow me to say it for him. Time is running out.

Greaves is the record for most goals in the top division of English football, be it First or Premier

JOIN OUR PETITION
Add your signature to give England hero Jimmy Greaves the gong he deserves.
Go to: www.change.org/givegreavsieagong

Brilliant days when a group of us used to meet Greavsie and Gilly in the Queen Victoria in Chingford at lunchtime for a few quickies , back in the late sixties,
I met him again quite a while ago at an “Evening with Greavsie” when I thought he had pointed at me , and said ,“ great mate of mine just there “ then I realise I was sat next to Ray Crawford , the Ex England centre forward .
my name is going on the list .

The greatest Spurs goal scorer of all time and one of the greatest strikers ever...without histrionics made everything thing look so easy, and played with proper footballs too, not these plastic beach balls.

All round nice guy and brilliant footballer....I’ve chipped in.

Being an anti-aristocratic foreigner, I swallowed my pride and signed the petition out of respect. Didn’t even know the part about having been the top scorer across Europe’s biggest leagues. What a legend, I hope he gets his much deserved knighthood!

Greatest of all time, all my earliest football memories are centred on Jim. I committed the ultimate sin by going to watch his West Ham debut, when Spurs unforgivably moved him on, where it goes without saying he scored on debut. My eldest son, obviously named James, has always regretted that he never got to see him..

Greatest of all time, all my earliest football memories are centred on Jim. I committed the ultimate sin by going to watch his West Ham debut, when Spurs unforgivably moved him on, where it goes without saying he scored on debut. My eldest son, obviously named James, has always regretted that he never got to see him..
So your not all about Bobby and Cliff then ? :wahey:

There are some brilliant you tube video’s , including the one against manure when he seemed to leave everyone on their backside . What I hadn’t realised , even though I was at that game , was how Blanchflower and Norman played “keep ball” before it was put through to Greavsie just inside their half . The rest is history .
I can still remember talking about it , in awe , as me and my Dad walked back to where he had parked his car , not far from Tottenham Hale station .

A wonderful player! Many special memories from 1960s. So deserves a gong. For those younger than me, whilst he was the original Greavsie he had so many similarities in my view to Messi. Can’t speak any higher than that.

The only Spurs team I've been reeling off name for name for sixty years!
Wonderful . They still bring the hairs up on the back of my neck . The team , the ground , the singing ,the smell, the electric atmosphere,
macnamaras band , the all white strip under the floodlights . I could go on and on , and people on here a lot younger than me are probably rolling their eyes and saying , “ oh! Here he goes again “ but I don’t care , I don’t care if I'm a dinosaur . They were incredible days that I will never forget .
One thing that has just flashed in my memory , does anyone remember the marching band that used to play before the game and at half time , marching and playing up and down the length of the pitch . Then there was a joker who put up a banner , this would never ever be allowed now ! , which was a word play (Sorry Nick! ) on the slogan ‘Ban the Bomb’ which read Bomb the Band . It was funny at the time . How times change .

Greavsie: BT Sport Films charts the rise, fall and re-birth of one of England’s greatest sporting icons
The latest in the acclaimed BT Sport Films series, recounting the story of Jimmy Greaves, premieres on Wednesday 18 February.

Last updated: 27 January 2020 - 8.21pm
BT Sport Films
Greavsie, the latest in the acclaimed BT Sport Films series, will premiere on BT Sport 2 on Wednesday 18 February at 10.30pm, with additional broadcasts over the following week including Saturday 22 February at 7.30pm on BT Sport 2.

The documentary tells the tale of the rise, fall and re-birth of one of England’s greatest strikers with rarely seen archive footage and interviews with some of the game’s biggest names.

Harry Redknapp, Sir Geoff Hurst, Ian St John, Denis Law, George Cohen, Cliff Jones, Pat Jennings, Gary Lineker, Glenn Hoddle, Barry Davies, John Sillett, Alan Mullery, Ron Harris, Steve Perryman, Jimmy Tarbuck, Rio Ferdinand, several members of Jimmy’s family and more have helped contribute.

The story begins in the 1950s with Jimmy a target for every major club in London and opts for Chelsea, the 1955 league champions. He makes the breakthrough and becomes a teenage superstar, scoring 124 league goals in 157 games.

Frustrated by Chelsea’s inconsistency and the maximum wage, Jimmy moves to AC Milan, but a disappointing spell in Italy sees Greaves head to Tottenham for a club-record fee.

The forward is a major success, scoring 21 goals in 22 games before the end of the season and between 1962 and 1965, Greaves scores 101 league goals in 123 games.

In 1965/66, the year before England’s home World Cup, the country’s star striker contracts hepatitis. Jimmy makes the World Cup squad and starts the first three games, but injury against France puts him out of the quarter-final against Argentina.

Sir Geoff Hurst takes his place and the rest is history.

Lost without football, Jimmy spends much of the 1970s battling alcoholism, but once sober he gets a newspaper column with The Sun and writes a book with friend Norman Giller, called ‘This One’s on Me’.

His remarkably-honest documentary ‘Just For Today’, based on ‘This One’s On Me’ propels him back into the spotlight with a wave of support. With the public reacquainted with Jimmy after ‘Just For Today’, TV executives are in touch.

After spells on ATV in the Midlands, and on the panel for the 1982 World Cup, in 1985 ITV decide that Jimmy needs his own vehicle. Saint and Greavsie is born when they pair him with former Liverpool stalwart St John. The show is a colossal hit and Jimmy is a major public figure again, as evidenced by his Spitting Images Puppet.

Tragically in 2015 Jimmy suffers a severe stroke. He survives but is wheelchair bound and has speech difficulties.

Wonderful . They still bring the hairs up on the back of my neck . The team , the ground , the singing ,the smell, the electric atmosphere,
macnamaras band , the all white strip under the floodlights . I could go on and on , and people on here a lot younger than me are probably rolling their eyes and saying , “ oh! Here he goes again “ but I don’t care , I don’t care if I'm a dinosaur . They were incredible days that I will never forget .
One thing that has just flashed in my memory , does anyone remember the marching band that used to play before the game and at half time , marching and playing up and down the length of the pitch . Then there was a joker who put up a banner , this would never ever be allowed now ! , which was a word play (Sorry Nick! ) on the slogan ‘Ban the Bomb’ which read Bomb the Band . It was funny at the time . How times change .
Whilst I was out driving this afternoon , it came to me that the banner that advocated , in a very humorous manner , I stress , to Bomb the Band , , was always seen to be held by a fan in the “Enclosure”’.
Does anybody remember that? The Enclosure.

It was situated pitch side , under the old West stand , running the full length of the pitch .It was a restricted and governed admittance so that nobody suffered from being crushed like the rest of us plebs . For that privilege you paid an extra three pennies on top of the shilling general admittance !!!!!! I think that equates to sixteen of our “new pence “ !!!!!!!!

I may have said this before but the story goes that Greaves and Terry Venables both played for Chelsea when they lived in Dagenham, On a Saturday home game they drove to Stamford Bridge via Gants Hill in Essex to have a meal before the game. They had a full roast and spotted dick and custard then drove on for the match. How the feck can you eat a full meal like that and then play 90 minutes of League one football?

Well Greavsie played that afternoon and scored 5 goals against Wolves in the 1958-1959 season

Last edited:
Whilst I was out driving this afternoon , it came to me that the banner that advocated , in a very humorous manner , I stress , to Bomb the Band , , was always seen to be held by a fan in the “Enclosure”’.
Does anybody remember that? The Enclosure.

It was situated pitch side , under the old West stand , running the full length of the pitch .It was a restricted and governed admittance so that nobody suffered from being crushed like the rest of us plebs . For that privilege you paid an extra three pennies on top of the shilling general admittance !!!!!! I think that equates to sixteen of our “new pence “ !!!!!!!!

Yes I do remember the enclosure! In those days WW it was rather beyond my means. Remember 3d extra for the privilege when the programme was 2d! The lower opposite corner Park Lane end for me. Sheer chance but Peter Cook was known to stand there near us too from time to time.

E464E986-081F-48CA-8FF6-6B8C23FCB9BC.jpeg
Yes I do remember the enclosure! In those days WW it was rather beyond my means. Remember 3d extra for the privilege when the programme was 2d! The lower opposite corner Park Lane end for me. Sheer chance but Peter Cook was known to stand there near us too from time to time.
Wow that’s where I always stood , underneath the floodlight pylon . That was the entrance me and my Dad used . Through the turnstile , up the steps and try and get about half way down underneath that pylon . The famous photo of Dave Mackay grabbing Billy Bremner by the scruff if the neck , with Terry Venables in the background , would have me in it ! No chance of picking me out though .
About twenty foot away from us to our right was where Warren Mitchell always stood . ( Alf Garnett) lovely bloke , had a very posh voice , unlike his character .
If we got split up with the crowd movement , which was normal , I would always meet my Dad outside the sweet shop opposite the exit gates . I went down there when I did my stadium tour last October and that sweet shop is still there!
Weirdly the photo has come out on its side and at the top of the post !!!!!!!! Don’t know how to alter/move it !!!!!!

Last edited: