Sign it for Greavsie | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sign it for Greavsie

View attachment 37652
Wow that’s where I always stood , underneath the floodlight pylon . That was the entrance me and my Dad used . Through the turnstile , up the steps and try and get about half way down underneath that pylon . The famous photo of Dave Mackay grabbing Billy Bremner by the scruff if the neck , with Terry Venables in the background , would have me in it ! No chance of picking me out though .
About twenty foot away from us to our right was where Warren Mitchell always stood . ( Alf Garnett) lovely bloke , had a very posh voice , unlike his character .
If we got split up with the crowd movement , which was normal , I would always meet my Dad outside the sweet shop opposite the exit gates . I went down there when I did my stadium tour last October and that sweet shop is still there!
Weirdly the photo has come out on its side and at the top of the post !!!!!!!! Don’t know how to alter/move it !!!!!!

Exactly there! Just a bit to the right of you looking towards the pitch. Not too far off opposite where they came out. I can remember being in the Park Lane end as a kid I think a cup replay against Sunderland being passed over the heads to be more protected near the front. Massive crowd that day. Also standing in our normal place after bunking off school in the afternoon for the 3rd Round cup replay against Burnley in 1961 with an icy pitch with salt pellets all over it seeing Bobby Smith wrap Adam BlackLaw their keeper around the post. Of course he claimed the slippery pitch! I remember the sweet shop too!
Memories!! We’ll have to be careful otherwise they shove our posts into an old farts reminiscing thread!

To honour him now is far too late. It would rub his nose in the fact he cant enjoy the recognition now. Giving an honour because we may lose him soon is the wrong reason.

To honour him now is far too late. It would rub his nose in the fact he cant enjoy the recognition now. Giving an honour because we may lose him soon is the wrong reason.
It took years and years for him to receive his World Cup medal , and even Tottenham were dragged into recognising his achievements, although I think that may have been a two way thing , as they may have fallen out with each other .
I saw his first game v Blackpool and also his last game away at Crystal Palace . That was a terrible game all round we lost , and on the way home ,at the station , the police rounded us all up and had us remove our Doc Marten boots before getting on the train . There was carnage on that train, with seats being ripped ,windows being smashed , and the emergency pull cord constantly being activated. When we got to London Bridge they chucked all our boots out into a huge pile ,. There was about two hundred blokes sifting through the mountain of boots to find their own !!!!!!!! ! Nightmare.
sorry , reminiscing again ! I will stop now

There is a great memory I have of Greavsie and Bobby Moore doing a dance during a game ! Linking arms and prancing around in circles to imaginary music whilst the game was going on . Something must have been said between them . Moore would have been marking Greavsie in that game .
Anybody else remember or see that . Shame there wasn’t cameras at every game then . We only knew it was going to be on tv when we got to the ground and saw the BBC Outside Broadcast Vans parked outside the East Stand . There was only two cameras in those days , one for general view and one for closer shots . The commentators sat on a narrow ledge under the top east stand , above the shelf , open to the elements .

Last edited:
There is a great memory I have of Greavsie and Bobby Moore doing a dance during a game ! Linking arms and prancing around in circles to imaginary music whilst the game was going on . Something must have been said between them . Moore would have been marking Greavsie in that game .
Anybody else remember or see that . Shame there wasn’t cameras at every game then . We only knew it was going to be on tv when we got to the ground and saw the BBC Outside Broadcast Vans parked outside the East Stand . There was only two cameras in those days , one for general view and one for closer shots . The commentators sat on a narrow ledge under the top east stand , above the shelf , open to the elements .
Yes I remember the jig...I think they both went for a 50/50 ball and both pulled out to do the dance....I only saw it on tv...but great days

It took years and years for him to receive his World Cup medal , and even Tottenham were dragged into recognising his achievements, although I think that may have been a two way thing , as they may have fallen out with each other .
I saw his first game v Blackpool and also his last game away at Crystal Palace . That was a terrible game all round we lost , and on the way home ,at the station , the police rounded us all up and had us remove our Doc Marten boots before getting on the train . There was carnage on that train, with seats being ripped ,windows being smashed , and the emergency pull cord constantly being activated. When we got to London Bridge they chucked all our boots out into a huge pile ,. There was about two hundred blokes sifting through the mountain of boots to find their own !!!!!!!! ! Nightmare.
sorry , reminiscing again ! I will stop now
tales of another world Walt, awesome!
i saw Jimmy place once, away to QPR. he did nothing all game then popped up with the equalizer in the 85th m. that match was 51 years ago tomorrow!

tales of another world Walt, awesome!
i saw Jimmy place once, away to QPR. he did nothing all game then popped up with the equalizer in the 85th m. that match was 51 years ago tomorrow!
That was the beauty of the man . He was not a workhorse , he didn’t track back , he didn’t man mark , but in a blink of an eye you were two goals up .
Fifty one years ago , that is awesome .
Are there many things you can remember from fifty one years ago to the day . I doubt it .
That is the beauty of the man

That was the beauty of the man . He was not a workhorse , he didn’t track back , he didn’t man mark , but in a blink of an eye you were two goals up .
Fifty one years ago , that is awesome .
Are there many things you can remember from fifty one years ago to the day . I doubt it .
That is the beauty of the man
I remember going to Wembley to watch England play Ireland ( May have been NI) midweek after work...Jimmy scored a goal I will never forget by running straight towards their goal, keeping the ball moving forward in a straight line but with a few body movements managed to fool the defenders and goalkeeper and the ball just rolled into the net...pure brilliance.

Another goal I remember was Spurs vs Leicester when Banks was their keeper...Jimmy raced through from the halfway line and the Leicester players appealed for off side...as he approached the penalty area he stopped and looked at the linesman and as soon as Banks also looked at the linesman Jimmy passed the ball into the net...goal...they don’t make them like that anymore.

I remember going to Wembley to watch England play Ireland ( May have been NI) midweek after work...Jimmy scored a goal I will never forget by running straight towards their goal, keeping the ball moving forward in a straight line but with a few body movements managed to fool the defenders and goalkeeper and the ball just rolled into the net...pure brilliance.

Another goal I remember was Spurs vs Leicester when Banks was their keeper...Jimmy raced through from the halfway line and the Leicester players appealed for off side...as he approached the penalty area he stopped and looked at the linesman and as soon as Banks also looked at the linesman Jimmy passed the ball into the net...goal...they don’t make them like that anymore.
Brilliant Harry. He was just genius . I think VAR are still looking at that second one !

He was always our penalty taker and don’t think he ever missed one . He did score a few with his head , very few though, and very , very rarely smashed one in . They were in general all passed into the net .

Top Class player and damn fine bloke off the pitch as well.

LOL he would walk onto our team right now!