Shrewsbury - Saturday 8th September | Vital Football

Shrewsbury - Saturday 8th September

pompeyrug

Alert Team
I’ll Go For Another Blues Win

Unbeaten Pompey play host to winless Shrewsbury this afternoon, but it doesn’t mean we can simply expect to rock up at Fratton Park and win, does it?

Obviously, it isn’t too much to hope for another three points, certainly avoid defeat on home soil, yet an arrogant view that the points are already in the bag sets us up for quite a fall.

Going into the Plymouth game, comfortably won in the end, I admitted I wouldn’t be happy if Argyle left with the points, hoping we could win, and win well. Therefore, it was job done on that front then. So, similarly in the visit of another early season struggler, I’d not be best pleased if Shrewsbury – who were flying last season – became the side to end out unbeaten League One run.

The midweek Checkatrade Trophy victory over Gillingham saw Kenny Jackett make no less than 10 changes. A similar amount could, some would expect will, be made this afternoon. It’ll be interesting to see who has played their way in?

Depending on injury, Christian Burgess would fancy his chances and with Oli Hawkins and Ronan Curtis out – injury and international – goalscorers Brett Pitman and David Wheeler will have their eyes on the starting XI. Debutants Andre Green and Joe Mason would have other ideas though.

One man who would certainly like to impress is former Shrewsbury goalkeeper, Craig MacGillivray. If he manages another shut out I’m confident enough as I feel we’ll score, which I am anyway, should MacGillivray concede.

Yes, there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance. No, I’m not skirting it, but I’ll go for a Blues win.

Click here for more.

Well I'm going for a Pompey win too Rug.. but.. I echo your thoughts below..

Yes, there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance. No, I’m not skirting it, but I’ll go for a Blues win.

I have a feeling Shrewsbury will be 'Shrewd' and turn up with the bus well and truly parked.. hoping to nick a goal. Its going to be up to us to not get frustrated, but methodically break them down, and put them under the cosh. We are the form team, playing at home. Show no mercy.. bring it on.. :Fingers:

I have a feeling that this could be a frustrating game. However I've gone for a 3-1 Pompey win in Prediction League, and I'm sticking to it..
PUP.. PPU.. :clap::thumbup:

Just wanted to add one thing.. if we do win today.. will that be our best ever start to a season. I'm sure Eastneydave probably knows. It would be fantastic if it was.. :thumbup:

A tough one..

Following on 'live text' I just had a horrible feeling this wasn't going to be our day by the time the first half had finished. The 'stats' were all in Shrewsbury's favour. The Shrewsbury that turned up today certainly didn't park the bus as I'd predicted. Far from it from what I can deduce. This was more like the Shrews of last season, not the team languishing in the bottom 4.

Just goes to show what a funny old game football is eh! Second half we came more into it, and the stats showed that well. However, if not for an 87th minute penalty..:blah: our first loss of the season may well have arrived.

That it didn't is pleasing. A hard lesson learned today IMHO, that just may acclimatise us to the other side of the game when we're not sticking them in the net. There are going to be plenty of games like this as the season progresses, and we're going to have to be able to deal with them.

We've slipped a couple of points to Peterborough, who are pile-driving all-comers at the moment. Still in 2nd place though.. and.. we haven't lost yet.. Well done the lads..

PUP..:clap::thumbup:

Wasn't able to follow at all, just looked at BBC every now and again. However, from what I've been told from people who went, there's little doubt we escaped on Saturday.

A point was the most we deserved, but like you said corny, to keep the unbeaten run going is something we take.

Probably a game we would have lost last season, perhaps?