Showing we care | Page 10 | Vital Football

Showing we care

I'm going to offer the opposite view. Like I've said before I've watched all the games this season but have found it very hard to watch coming so soon after last seasons team and players, its been like torture.
Yes I agree about Gregorr Rioch he is vital to the clubs future with the youngsters but not Liam Richardson, he is to be commended for the loyalty he has shown but he is not the future under new owners. We need a clean sweep of the first team management set up and a completely new squad yes it will be a difficult job but its what needs doing in my opinion.

Interesting people keep talking about Gregor and the “youngsters” ! - it will be interesting to see how many academy graduates actually make the fist team next year ! - that to me will be the measure of Gregor’s success !

For me - my view is like back in Cooks day there will be no pathway from the academy to the first team - last years appearances weee due to being in admin rather than Gregors ability !

Interesting people keep talking about Gregor and the “youngsters” ! - it will be interesting to see how many academy graduates actually make the fist team next year ! - that to me will be the measure of Gregor’s success !

For me - my view is like back in Cooks day there will be no pathway from the academy to the first team - last years appearances weee due to being in admin rather than Gregors ability !

I hope the new owners recognise the value of the academy and along with LR and GR create a regime were there is a clear pathway for the academy players to reach first team status. Not only would that enable the club to become sustainable and live within its means but if young players can see that the club is prepared to give them the opportunity to progress then recruiting the best becomes easier.

I hope the new owners recognise the value of the academy and along with LR and GR create a regime were there is a clear pathway for the academy players to reach first team status. Not only would that enable the club to become sustainable and live within its means but if young players can see that the club is prepared to give them the opportunity to progress then recruiting the best becomes easier.

I agree with this sentiment 100% but alas I recon LR will do the same as his buddy Cook did and just go for experience - last season he had no choice, this coming season he does. I’m afraid unless GR grows a pair and backs his youngsters there will be no pathway to the first team. I would love to be proved wrong this coming season, but let’s see !

I agree with this sentiment 100% but alas I recon LR will do the same as his buddy Cook did and just go for experience - last season he had no choice, this coming season he does. I’m afraid unless GR grows a pair and backs his youngsters there will be no pathway to the first team. I would love to be proved wrong this coming season, but let’s see !

The problem with the way football is run today is that there is immediate pressure from fans and owners for success. Managers are worried for their jobs and therefore are reluctant to experiment with younger players hence the reason we see so many players being brought into clubs as "experienced pro's".

Because of the pandemic and the pressure it has put on the finances of many lower league clubs I think there will be a change of attitude from owners who will no longer be looking to plough their hard earned cash into clubs to subsidise inflated transfer deals and mega contracts. We have seen an example of this recently with Spurs, who insisted that a managerial candidate be willing to utilise academy players, the candidate subsequently walked away because the package to buy new players wasn't there.

If the PL clubs are looking to cut back then that will be multiplied many fold for lower league clubs and a club like ours, with an academy that is recognised as successful, will be the ideal model for the new owners to turn into a sustainable club should they so wish and break the cycle of transfer/loan players making large wage demands.

In essence we are the ideal candidate to encourage younger players to come to the club and thrive. LR and GR must recognise this and persuade the new owners to be patient and not expect immediate results, which incidentally is something they have identified as their objective, and allow them to build the side with a pathway for young players to develop.

The other side to this is that we, as fans, have our part to play and allow the manager time to bring his vision to fruition without getting frustrated and calling for his head every time we fail to win.

Patience is the key to making the club a sustainable enterprise, and one that will be built on solid foundations, so that we never experience a period like the last 12 months again.