Should Ryan be a serious contender? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Should Ryan be a serious contender?

then we disagree....I thought we stunk the place out. Whilst the history books will show it as a narrow loss....it was anything but that. I can't imagine any 'decent ' team playing as bad as us...especially in the first half.

How anyone can defend our performance in the final I don't know.

We were dog shit. Didn't even try how embarrassing is that?

What I find more embarrassing is the players all came out and said they gave their all.

Unlike some I don't forget so easily.

We definitely need a ****** emoji.

How anyone can defend our performance in the final I don't know.

We were dog shit. Didn't even try how embarrassing is that?

What I find more embarrassing is the players all came out and said they gave their all.

Unlike some I don't forget so easily.

We definitely need a ****** emoji.

We were up against the best, they destroyed PSG last night and could have hit 5 - in the end for large parts of the game PSG played like we did - just trying to hold on.

I think you seriously underestimate how difficult it is to play against a possession based team who have the sort of skills they have.

Catching ManC on a bad day is and was our only hope - and the same goes for every other team in the PL and CL...

Sorry cant agree, yes there is the argument about whether Laporte should have been on the pitch but the real fact of the matter is City didnt get out of second gear and still got the win due to the way we set up and played. The 2 CL semi finals they have just played against PSG show to me if they wanted to they could have wiped the floor with us. The Caroboa Cup was not really a priority to them but they still won it. You are of course entitled to your opinion as am I but the performance in the final was second rate partially down to the players but also partially down to Ryans set up and gameplan. He got it wrong and we played poorly. The reason it took so long for them to score is because they were complacent and nothing to do with how we played.

IF all that is true, then the criticism of us/Ryan is downright silly.

By the way, you're right, PSG couldn't land a glove on them - but then nor can any other team in Europe when they're in the mood.

Silly to expect more.

Last edited:
We were up against the best, they destroyed PSG last night and could have hit 5 - in the end for large parts of the game PSG played like we did - just trying to hold on.

I think you seriously underestimate how difficult it is to play against a possession based team who have the sort of skills they have.

Catching ManC on a bad day is and was our only hope - and the same goes for every other team in the PL and CL...

The voice of reason. City game probably not a good data point for whether Mason should get the job or not. I was chuffed we got to the 80th minute level, but knew we had rode our luck against an amazing team. The challenge for me was watching how Tuchel had addressed their game a week earlier. That is why for me it is easy to big up a Lampard, Gerrard, Mason, Rooney etc. You can't beat experience though.

Tuchel did 8 years before even the Dortmund job. He's then managed PSG thereafter, so of course he's been in these different scenarios over and over and knew the playbook. I'm feeling Mason needs to do the same.

Following that logic, I can see why Graham Potter is a viable option. A masters in emotional intelligence, the hard yards done in his coaching career in different countries, and now in his first Prem job after Swansea. You always get the feeling there's a man on the right trajectory. Makes you wonder what him and the couple of guys that have moved around with him could achieve in a bigger pond.

The voice of reason. City game probably not a good data point for whether Mason should get the job or not. I was chuffed we got to the 80th minute level, but knew we had rode our luck against an amazing team. The challenge for me was watching how Tuchel had addressed their game a week earlier. That is why for me it is easy to big up a Lampard, Gerrard, Mason, Rooney etc. You can't beat experience though.

Tuchel did 8 years before even the Dortmund job. He's then managed PSG thereafter, so of course he's been in these different scenarios over and over and knew the playbook. I'm feeling Mason needs to do the same.

Following that logic, I can see why Graham Potter is a viable option. A masters in emotional intelligence, the hard yards done in his coaching career in different countries, and now in his first Prem job after Swansea. You always get the feeling there's a man on the right trajectory. Makes you wonder what him and the couple of guys that have moved around with him could achieve in a bigger pond.

Mason is smart, but he isn't going to be given a chance, but he will be in the new set-up that's a certainty.

I like Potter and just as we took a chance on Poch, I get the impression from those in the business that we're looking for the same sort of profile he had before we plucked him from the nether regions - so in that respect, Potter looks like a decent choice.

If we don't go for an established manager, then it's him or someone like him.

Not for me.

Let's say Ryan was given an identical opportunity as interim manager at another club to the one he has right now at Spurs. He wins all his games and the club qualify for the Champions League. Would we hire him on that basis? I doubt it very much.

So it seems to me his strong allegiance to the club is an influencing factor on opinions now. And in and of itself it's a bonus hiring a manager who has strong emotional as well as professional ties to a club. But these aren't strong enough credentials to make the appointment. They're just a bonus.

Let Ryan do the hard graft, learn his trade and bide his time. Let's be honest. There are always plenty of opportunities to becoming Tottenham's manager.

The ridiculous thing about writing off Ryan is that most of the people who are writing him off would LOVE to see Pep take charge of Spurs.

Pep retired in 2006.
Started managing Barca B in 2007.
Started managing Barca first team in 2008.

Personally, I think experience can be overrated nowadays. We had one of the most decorated managers in football managing us and all that experience did nothing to stop us getting knocked out of the Europa League to a Championship quality team. That's when people tend to blame the players rather than the manager who supposedly should have the experience to get the team doing better.

I have no idea if Ryan is right for the job, but if the chemistry is there and the person knows what is involved at this level, then why not! I'd prefer we gave someone like Ryan chance over just another manager who is forever bouncing from club to club achieving trophies in weak leagues.

Pep won loads of trophies at the biggest and best club of all time before going into management. Played under Cruff and playing with some of the best players of all time. Building a real winner's mentality.

You can't compare the two. I like Mason and was a decent playersbut he was hardly a top player and never won anything.

I don't think anyone is writing Mason off as a coach long term. It's the here and now people are questioning his abilities.

It's madness even having him in the discussion at this point. He has literally done nothing.

Pep won loads of trophies at the biggest and best club of all time before going into management. Played under Cruff and playing with some of the best players of all time. Building a real winner's mentality.

You can't compare the two. I like Mason and was a decent playersbut he was hardly a top player and never won anything.

I don't think anyone is writing Mason off as a coach long term. It's the here and now people are questioning his abilities.

It's madness even having him in the discussion at this point. He has literally done nothing.

Top-level playing experience doesn't always translate to being a good manager. Two examples there would be Klopp and Mourinho vs Roy Keane and Edgar Davids.

Winning mentality is such a weird sporting invention too. Some might have the right mentality as players but just don't play with enough people who share the same mentality OR like Klopp once said about his own playing days 'I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head.'

Top-level playing experience doesn't always translate to being a good manager. Two examples there would be Klopp and Mourinho vs Roy Keane and Edgar Davids.

Winning mentality is such a weird sporting invention too. Some might have the right mentality as players but just don't play with enough people who share the same mentality OR like Klopp once said about his own playing days 'I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head.'

I always loved that quote from klopp; for me it just showed his smarts, his intelligence and an understanding that limitations as a player means nothing when it comes to coaching and or managing players.

Agree intelligence and a winning mentality are also very important.

But there needs to be some evidence of a coach/manager that they have what it takes to manage a club like spurs.

At this point Mason has proven nothing. There is zero evidence he is ready.

If he wasn't a ex player he wouldn't even be at the club.

But there needs to be some evidence of a coach/manager that they have what it takes to manage a club like spurs.

RD, you said "but there needs to be some evidence of a coach/manager that they have what it takes to manage a club like Spurs" mmmm! what does that all mean?

Not being picky we had Poch, who was he? only managed 2 small clubs in comparison prior to us! yet we enjoyed the ride with him, ok didn't win out! it happens!

We then hire a manager with all the exp and knowhow, jesus 100% utter bullshit failure!

A club like Spurs...what is that?

Lets be honest mate we might have a fantastic/maybe best in World Stadium, because of which we are basically "skint", a fairly decent Squad that needs tweaking, so why can't a rookie who knows the club, staff and players coach us?

Other than all that, I believe if not giving RM a go, then Potter or Dyche for us.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
Just my thoughts/opinions nothing meant as detrimental.

You're right, there is zero evidence for us as fans, and he hasn't proven himself elsewhere. I cannot argue against that.

I just don't think we can know if the evidence is there to show if Ryan has what it takes, in the same way that Barca fans had no evidence for Pep. Only those behind the scenes can say for sure. The word from within the club is that everyone from Levy to the players have been really impressed with his maturity and his training sessions so far, so that's positive. Time will tell though. One thing we cannot doubt though is he is a real fighter and his love for this club runs so deep that I know he will always be 100000% invested through good and bad times.

I'm not saying I think Ryan should be the chosen man, but if he does guide the team to win all our remaining games then I see no reason why he shouldnt be considered over someone like Southgate, Martinez, Sarri or Rodgers who are all massively unimpressive on their CV's.

RD, you said "but there needs to be some evidence of a coach/manager that they have what it takes to manage a club like Spurs" mmmm! what does that all mean?

Not being picky we had Poch, who was he? only managed 2 small clubs in comparison prior to us! yet we enjoyed the ride with him, ok didn't win out! it happens!

We then hire a manager with all the exp and knowhow, jesus 100% utter bullshit failure!

A club like Spurs...what is that?

Lets be honest mate we might have a fantastic/maybe best in World Stadium, because of which we are basically "skint", a fairly decent Squad that needs tweaking, so why can't a rookie who knows the club, staff and players coach us?

Other than all that, I believe if not giving RM a go, then Potter or Dyche for us.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
Just my thoughts/opinions nothing meant as detrimental.

Poch showed in a 2 year period what his philosophy was. He took the saints to another level in a short time period.

He liked to promote youth and buy young talent. There was a lot of evidence he had something different to other young coaches.

Mate I know we are nothing special but we are not bottom of the barrel yet. Lol

Agree about Potter and Dyche. If we are going English then they should be on the list. At least we have seen over a period of time what these two are about.

You're right, there is zero evidence for us as fans, and he hasn't proven himself elsewhere. I cannot argue against that.

I just don't think we can know if the evidence is there to show if Ryan has what it takes, in the same way that Barca fans had no evidence for Pep. Only those behind the scenes can say for sure. The word from within the club is that everyone from Levy to the players have been really impressed with his maturity and his training sessions so far, so that's positive. Time will tell though. One thing we cannot doubt though is he is a real fighter and his love for this club runs so deep that I know he will always be 100000% invested through good and bad times.

I'm not saying I think Ryan should be the chosen man, but if he does guide the team to win all our remaining games then I see no reason why he shouldnt be considered over someone like Southgate, Martinez, Sarri or Rodgers who are all massively unimpressive on their CV's.

I like the guy. I hope he stays behind the scenes and works with the next manager.

I just don't think he should even be an option at this stage.

Agree about Southgate and Martinez. Totally pointless managers.

Sarri has at least won a few trophies but I really don't see him as a spurs manager. Not the philosophy we need.

I can't stand Roger's but his style of play is something that will appeal to most Spurs fans.

The list isn't great to be honest.

Rafa is the best manager on there by a mile but not sure he fits the bill at this time.

I like the guy. I hope he stays behind the scenes and works with the next manager.

I just don't think he should even be an option at this stage.

Agree about Southgate and Martinez. Totally pointless managers.

Sarri has at least won a few trophies but I really don't see him as a spurs manager. Not the philosophy we need.

I can't stand Roger's but his style of play is something that will appeal to most Spurs fans.

The list isn't great to be honest.

Rafa is the best manager on there by a mile but not sure he fits the bill at this time.

Rafa's agent is desperate to get him through our door - and I mean desperate.

He'd be a cut-priced appointment (around £4 mill a year) and no release fees to pay.

He has PL experience, he is a winner.

Afraid his style of football may leave something to be desired.

But he does actually try to play football, his transfer history is/was second to none.

Could he be the one on a 2.5 -year deal?

Rafa's agent is desperate to get him through our door - and I mean desperate.

He'd be a cut-priced appointment (around £4 mill a year) and no release fees to pay.

He has PL experience, he is a winner.

Afraid his style of football may leave something to be desired.

But he does actually try to play football, his transfer history is/was second to none.

Could he be the one on a 2.5 -year deal?

The fat waiter impressed me at the toon. I think he would be a good short term fit.

When money is flying through the doors again maybe then we can get the next Pep or Klopp.