Should Ryan be a serious contender? | Vital Football

Should Ryan be a serious contender?

Spursex

Alert Team
Next Tottenham manager: Ryan Mason insists job is ‘appealing’.

Ryan Mason has brushed aside suggestions that there is a lack of interest in succeeding him as Tottenham manager.

Mason was named interim head-coach until the end of the season following Jose Mourinho’s sacking but a number of leading candidates for the full-time job are already out of reach.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s visit of relegated Sheffield United, Mason believes there will be no shortage of interest in the job.
“This is Tottenham Hotspur Football Club,” he said. “There’s always going to be people interested. We have the best stadium in the world in my opinion. And also the best training complex in the world. It’s a fantastic group of players and a fantastic fanbase.

“So of course it’s going to be appealing. It’s a great football club. I’m probably biased because I feel passionately about it. But it’s a big football club.”

Mason, 29, is the youngest-ever Premier League boss and he is not thought to currently be in consideration for the full-time role, having stepped up from his position in the club’s academy.
But in a potential sales pitch to the club, he said his experience as a player had taught him to always be prepared and believes his relationships at the club and education under John McDermott, Mauricio Pochettino and Mourinho have stood him in good stead.

“In my experience as a player, you have to be ready, have to prepare yourself and you have to think and feel like things are going to happen,” Mason said.

“I had that as a player. I was playing a reserve game at Sunderland in the [Under] 23s on the Monday night and then on the Wednesday night I was at White Hart Lane scoring against Nottingham Forest and then that Saturday I made my Premier League debut at the Emirates in a north London derby.

“It’s easy to say he’s young, he’s unprepared. Yes, of course I don’t have the top-flight experience that a 40- or 50-year-old would have but what I do have is 20 years of experience with this football club, I know everyone whether that’s the kit-man, the cleaners, the groundsman, I know everyone.
“Everyone knows me. I have personal relationships with everyone in this football club so you can’t underestimate how important that is in an organisation.

“Of course I’m not silly, not naïve. I’m 29, I am young but I’m very passionate about football. I believe I know the game and I believe I can communicate as well with the players and with the players there is a respect.

“I’ve been very lucky that I had one of, if not the best, coach educators in the world in terms of John McDermott. I was very lucky to come back and work with him.

“I had the exposure of seeing how Mauricio and his coaching team worked and also Jose and his coaching team as well, so in my three-and-a-half years as a coach I’ve been exposed to more than some people get exposed to in 20, 30 years of coaching.”

Difficult for Ryan and the club. Its bound to end in tears as it has for the past 7 or so managers. That would be a shame, like the Lampard scenario.

I am all for trying something new. He has already shown he can look at things from a different perspective to one of the most experienced coaches in world football and give us an alternative. His match craft seems to be up to it and i can actually see what he is trying to do before and during games. I dont have to agree with everything, i just would like to be on a similar page which i think Ryan is with most fans.

The problem comes when we discuss coaching etc. It takes quite a person/team of coaches to build the kind of situation where everyone knows their jobs and work to the common cause. If he can get this side of things going i am willing to give him a shout over some of the other names mentioned.

If we are not getting a Brendan Rogers or similar then i think a ex player such as Ryan or Scotty Parker is acceptable.

Difficult for Ryan and the club. Its bound to end in tears as it has for the past 7 or so managers. That would be a shame, like the Lampard scenario.

I shouldn't fret it, the average life of a PL manager at a club is only 90 games...so defy those odds takes some doing. Especially, with what they earn:

Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 11.35.32.png

Why is the lifespan so short though ?

The financial implications of the club not performing ?

Same old same old; impatient owners who think that their monetary investment should produce a better ROI. A lack of of understanding of how competitive the PL is etc etc..and of course expectation not matching the reality..

Like it or not the balance sheet gap between the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool and the rest of the PL is frankly unbridgable - unless a club beneath them can add more than a few hundred million in capital, probably 500 mill expenditure might do it, but more often than not the only hope the rest of the Premier League has got now is that one of the Big rich 4 simply screw up one season as Liverpool and perhaps even Chelsea might have done in the PL this season.

When money talks, you can see it in the players a team has in it's squad - we may never see the likes of a squad like ManC's again in our lives, which is why I believe if they don't win the CL this season, they'll likely never do it.

Same old same old; impatient owners who think that their monetary investment should produce a better ROI. A lack of of understanding of how competitive the PL is etc etc..and of course expectation not matching the reality..

Like it or not the balance sheet gap between the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool and the rest of the PL is frankly unbridgable - unless a club beneath them can add more than a few hundred million in capital, probably 500 mill expenditure might do it, but more often than not the only hope the rest of the Premier League has got now is that one of the Big rich 4 simply screw up one season as Liverpool and perhaps even Chelsea might have done in the PL this season.

When money talks, you can see it in the players a team has in it's squad - we may never see the likes of a squad like ManC's again in our lives, which is why I believe if they don't win the CL this season, they'll likely never do it.

Well Glazers could sell the team to the supporters and that would destroy their balance sheet advantage PDQ.

Win the next 4, get top4 and he might well be in with a shot!

and why not?

I said this exact same thing ex a few weeks back.

If we win our remaining games and get a top 4 place it will be hard not to give him a shot next season at least.

If the foot ball continues to improve I wouldn’t be against it.

If Mason wins the last six PL games and gets CL football from an almost impossible position all credit to him. It's difficult to see the Club bringing in anyone else if it happens. It wouldn't be a good decision to give him the position though, short term analysis and thinking. If we do happen to make top four, three out of Leicester, Liverpool , Chelsea and West Ham will have given us an enormous helping hand.

Last edited:
At 29 and having had a life threatening injury he will need plenty of support around him. If he got the job, the pressure would be more intense than being an interim coach.
I would worry for his health. He already said he has not been sleeping well.
Its already a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.
He is a tough cookie but it is probably too much for him at the moment.
I wish him well however it turns out.

He hasn't earned the right to manage any Premier league club.

This weird obsession with appointing ex players with zero experience is baffling.

There is more to a successful appointment than experience imo RD.

Knowledge of the club, the players, the fans etc goes a long way.

At the end of the day football is about winning and entertaining.

If Ryan Mason can win football matches playing an attacking brand of football whilst gaining the approval of the squad he has to work with then I don’t see each the logic in replacing him.

Now that’s a big IF.

He’s only 3 games in BUT if we continue to improve and win games at least he would offer continuity moving into next season.

The players seem to enjoy playing for him which is massive in my book.

Let’s see how the next month pans out but everyone wanted to hire Naglesmann but he was in a not too dissimilar position himself a few years back when given a crack at Hoffenheim at 28 years of age.

Whose to say Ryan won’t develop in a similar way coaching us over the next few seasons?

Yes.

Arguing against it because he doesn't have the requisite "experience" is just plain silly. If we set that as a metric for qualifications in all of life, well we'd all miss pretty much every one of the truly unique & special talents in the world.

I dont care ab out his age, his level of pro coaching experience, or whether he has a cool haircut.

What I care about, is how does the team perform under his direction on the pitch, and does that result in "success" (however you measure that).

So far, he's done a FANTASTIC job.

I said he was a serious candidate the day he was appointed. Rule him out at your peril.

Yes.

Arguing against it because he doesn't have the requisite "experience" is just plain silly. If we set that as a metric for qualifications in all of life, well we'd all miss pretty much every one of the truly unique & special talents in the world.

I dont care ab out his age, his level of pro coaching experience, or whether he has a cool haircut.

What I care about, is how does the team perform under his direction on the pitch, and does that result in "success" (however you measure that).

So far, he's done a FANTASTIC job.

I said he was a serious candidate the day he was appointed. Rule him out at your peril.

Agree with this 100%

Regarding the cup final. I can forgive him his tactics based on the fact I’m sure he was desperate to win first and more most and that skewed his thinking. It was a horrible watch but we were minutes away from extra time and possibly penalties. If we had won on penalties we would be labeling him a genius for outwitting Pep.

I’ll judge him on the remaining league games. Continue as we did against Sheffield Utd and id be happy enough to give him next season to see what he can do.