Shelvey | Vital Football

Shelvey

I've never seen such a pedestrian midfield or team for that matter in my lifetime. They'd struggle playing walking football for old people and whales.

When Shelvey is on form, he's a quality player. Unfortunately, the games seem to just breeze by him these days. I agree with the article in that his movement is now dragging S. Longstaff down.

Seems like M. Longstaff is being taught a lesson now too for not signing his contract earlier. He should have left when he had the chance.

Problem with Shelvey is that he thinks he's far better than what he actually is. Thinks he's the next David Beckham, It's not that he's without ability, he's lazy and bone idol (same thing I know). Only plays when the mood takes him, a very selfish individual, no interest in the team only himself. I've seen SDU a few goals up and cruising (back when SDU managed more than 4 shots in a game) but Shelvey not involved looking like an angry, gurning idiot! The last player you need when it's all hands on deck scrapping out results.

Shelvey needs movement and protection around him. Really he can only play in a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-3-2-1 as a central two leaves him too exposed as does a 4-3-3. He could do a job for us (imagine the way Pirlo used to run things for example for Italy and Juve/AC milan) if the side's built around him but he's never really shown the consistency even when the formation has been more like the ones above to warrant that .

I agree at this present time he seems disinterested and off the pace much of the time. He is slow aswell. He can still ping a pass but too often even that side of his game is not as it should be. Talented when he wants to be on his terms. Doesn’t work with this set up that’s for sure.

Shelvey needs movement and protection around him. Really he can only play in a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-3-2-1 as a central two leaves him too exposed as does a 4-3-3. He could do a job for us (imagine the way Pirlo used to run things for example for Italy and Juve/AC milan) if the side's built around him but he's never really shown the consistency even when the formation has been more like the ones above to warrant that .

Agree with most of that and was thinking he'd be better in the middle of a 5 man midfield. Doesn't change the fact he's a lazy bastard tho and you wouldn't want him in the trenches with you.

The only thing going for him is a quality long pass. He is slow, lazy, the number of times he ambles back in defence. He is a luxury and would get away with it surrounded by quality. Unfortunately there is little quality around him.

He can ping a pass but one of the problems is the quality of players he is pinging it too. He would look reasonably competent (no more than that) in a better squad.

You would think with the amount of long balls we play we could use shelvey a bit more in this so called system. I don't think Bruce's tactical nous goes that far anyway he's dense. The long balls we play aren't tactical they are hoofed clearances usually

Lee Clark pointed out the midfield short comings in a great interview with Steve Wraith on Wednesday.

The midfield drop off to pick the ball up from the Central Defenders, and in doing so, create a huge gap for the opposition to attack, hence the long ball route being taken.

When was the last time the midfield was properly used as a conduit to getting the forwards into exposed positions again the other team defence.

It seems they are shit scared of giving it away, and want defence in numbers when they do.

Spoke so much sense, and how others, "pundits", etc.., cannot see it is amazing.

I would quite happily give him a go, should broocey get the bullet.

Lee Clark pointed out the midfield short comings in a great interview with Steve Wraith on Wednesday.

The midfield drop off to pick the ball up from the Central Defenders, and in doing so, create a huge gap for the opposition to attack, hence the long ball route being taken.

When was the last time the midfield was properly used as a conduit to getting the forwards into exposed positions again the other team defence.

It seems they are shit scared of giving it away, and want defence in numbers when they do.

Spoke so much sense, and how others, "pundits", etc.., cannot see it is amazing.

I would quite happily give him a go, should broocey get the bullet.

Are you fucking nuts ? What has Lee Clark done to justify being given this job ?He's a Geordie who's made an obvious tactical observation. In that case I qualify for the job as does every poster on this board including you.

Incidentally Clark's record as a manager is worse than Bruce's.

This just simply isn't true at all. Where do I even start. The midfield dropping off to pick the ball up from the defence would involve movement AND passing. Our defenders do not pass forward to the midfield and the midfield do not make forward runs. Not only that but if the midfield were helping out the defence we may not be conceding so many. The problem with the midfield is you have the likes of shelvey who is invisible at the best of times and doesn't demand the ball - but the main problem is they are being bypassed by the defences hoofed clearances. I'm intentionally using that term because a long ball is a tacticalpass intended to pick out a team member.

This just simply isn't true at all. Where do I even start. The midfield dropping off to pick the ball up from the defence would involve movement AND passing. Our defenders do not pass forward to the midfield and the midfield do not make forward runs. Not only that but if the midfield were helping out the defence we may not be conceding so many. The problem with the midfield is you have the likes of shelvey who is invisible at the best of times and doesn't demand the ball - but the main problem is they are being bypassed by the defences hoofed clearances. I'm intentionally using that term because a long ball is a tacticalpass intended to pick out a team member.

Undid your own argument, as Shelvey acts as a quarterback, that's what you get, a bypass of midfield, and they dont pass it, the midfield drop off and COLLECT it. their is a distinct difference. They have players to play a deadly pass, just as a team they are too far apart all over the pitch.

Are you fucking nuts ? What has Lee Clark done to justify being given this job ?He's a Geordie who's made an obvious tactical observation. In that case I qualify for the job as does every poster on this board including you.

Incidentally Clark's record as a manager is worse than Bruce's.

So you think Broocey is a tactical genius, and has the dressing room backing, FFS Mike Bassett is better than him...

So you think Broocey is a tactical genius, and has the dressing room backing, FFS Mike Bassett is better than him...

That's the best you can do ? Lets' replace one shite manager in Steve Bruce with Lee Clark "cos ya kna ee's a jawdie" . Fuck off back to Jim Henson sticking his hand up your arse.

That's the best you can do ? Lets' replace one shite manager in Steve Bruce with Lee Clark "cos ya kna ee's a jawdie" . Fuck off back to Jim Henson sticking his hand up your arse.

Well come on then brains, who could you attract with the current situation???

Fucking no one, like your 2 bit reply...

Maybe you can pull one out of your ball sack, you bell end....

Well come on then brains, who could you attract with the current situation???

Fucking no one, like your 2 bit reply...

Maybe you can pull one out of your ball sack, you bell end....

Please keep posting, dimwit. You are fucking value, I'll give you that.

Lee Clark, last two jobs sacked by Bury and Blyth Spartans, aye, give him the gig 🤣😃😄

Undid your own argument, as Shelvey acts as a quarterback, that's what you get, a bypass of midfield, and they dont pass it, the midfield drop off and COLLECT it. their is a distinct difference. They have players to play a deadly pass, just as a team they are too far apart all over the pitch.

When was the last time shelvey played a decent pass nevermind a deadly one. Aye, drop off and collect it, we should just stop passing altogether and let someone come and collect the ball hahaha that's a belter. Too far apart all over the pitch, funny that the team don't seem to defendin numbers, yet on the very odd occasion we break into the opposition half there's no one there either. Strange one that

I've never seen such a pedestrian midfield or team for that matter in my lifetime. They'd struggle playing walking football for old people and whales.

When Shelvey is on form, he's a quality player. Unfortunately, the games seem to just breeze by him these days. I agree with the article in that his movement is now dragging S. Longstaff down.

Seems like M. Longstaff is being taught a lesson now too for not signing his contract earlier. He should have left when he had the chance.
The problem with Shelvey is his form only shows against the likes of Benwell uner 15's.

When was the last time shelvey played a decent pass nevermind a deadly one. Aye, drop off and collect it, we should just stop passing altogether and let someone come and collect the ball hahaha that's a belter. Too far apart all over the pitch, funny that the team don't seem to defendin numbers, yet on the very odd occasion we break into the opposition half there's no one there either. Strange one that

Just like against Liverpool, no quarterback, just a decently forward midfield, awaiting a pass from defence, then onto a running forward, think broocey being listening???