Sheffield Wednesday | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sheffield Wednesday

i liked this bit of pure fudge:
"…the commission said a number of factors lay behind its decision, including… the fact Wednesday's squad had been reduced through some players refusing to play beyond the end of their contract on 30 June, therefore weakening it on the run-in."

the issue of players contracts has no bearing when deciding on timings of points deductions for selling the ground.

"…the commission said a number of factors lay behind its decision, including… the fact Wednesday's squad had been reduced through some players refusing to play beyond the end of their contract on 30 June, therefore weakening it on the run-in."

the issue of players contracts has no bearing when deciding on timings of points deductions for selling the ground.
Isn't that a case of poetic justice that didn't happen: that Sheffield Wednesday were unable to retain players they would not have been able to afford in the first place, had they not fiddled the system?

Plus errr all their opponents in exactly the same situation.
Really really not a reason of any sort at all.
Again, who is on this bizarre independent commission?? Anyone even with any football connection??

So it is up to the clubs to change the rules, not the EFL. As has been said before, turkeys do not vote for Christmas. The chances of them changing the rules to prevent the blatant cheating going on are very small, I would guess. And that is the main problem: private members clubs depend on a degree of willingness to comply with the rules, but that appears to be absent now in football. The EFL has been left with a set of rules that cannot be effective when so many clubs (Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Swindon Town, Macclesfield Town, Southend United to name just a few) believe they can simply ignore them and bleat pitifully when they are caught. No one is claiming the EFL is a perfect organisation by a long way, it has made mistakes in disciplinary aspects in particular, but what is the next step now? I agree entirely, the rules need to be tightened up and written down in clear terms including penalties, but I can't see that happening.

Well there has been tentative suggestions of government intervention. Usually that is something I am dead set against but bearing in mind there are repeated breaches of financial rules some of which directly impact on tax payers and other businesses (administration being the obvious example) there may come a point when they say football is not fit to run it's own affairs.

Admittedly such measures would not address all breaches of rules such as failing to fulfil a fixture but if Bolton hadn't got in such a financial mess in the first place they would have turned up for those games anyway.

This absolutely stinks of corruption. The clowns running the EFL should be removed en masse from their duties of managing the EFL. How will there ever be a level playing field when those running the asylum are complicit in clubs cheating.

No wonder Shaun Harvey decided to leave. He's at the centre of most of the things wrong within the EFL. Opening the Stadium sale loophole being one.

Unbelievable that Pulis only got 10 games. Did they not know what they were getting?

It won't be that, they'd just managed 4 points from the previous 2 games by boring the opposition to death no doubt.

I'd be certain that Pulis asked for new players, the owner said no and Pulis won't have held back. The owner is notorious for not being able to stand any criticism.

Pulis has played a blinder. He engineers his own exit before his "never been relegated" record is mangled.

Doubt he'll get paid up, though.

The announcement mentions results plus other considerations, so there is much to this sacking which would make many a good manager be very wary.

Still potentially a great gig and one which if it didn't work out too great fingers can easily be pointed toward the owners by the looks of it

The Cowleys could make a decent career out of rescuing Championship sides and then getting sacked. 😁

Still potentially a great gig and one which if it didn't work out too great fingers can easily be pointed toward the owners by the looks of it

The players have only been receiving part of their salaries. There are rumours that the staff is now going without.

Not getting paid is never a great gig.