Sheffield Wednesday | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sheffield Wednesday

talking of cheating... did bolton ever get points deducted for not turning up against doncaster? did i miss the investigation into that? or is that due for a hearing sometime next year?

So yet again The EFL wrings it hands in faux disappointment. If The EFL really wanted to take responsibility it would set hard and fast penalties and enforce them in house rather than conveniently passing the buck.
For the last time, the EFL can only operate governance voted for by its members.

For the last time, the EFL can only operate governance voted for by its members.
I include it's members in the criticism. The clubs are The EFL. Your point is one I am well aware of as secretary of a cricket club. We are reminded of it at the league AGM every year.

I include it's members in the criticism. The clubs are The EFL. Your point is one I am well aware of as secretary of a cricket club. We are reminded of it at the league AGM every year.
Unfortunately that's what the majority of clubs apparently want and why there is a lack of fixed punishments in the regulations. It doesn't look like changing anytime soon with the same uncertainty continuing to be written into new regulations.

So it is up to the clubs to change the rules, not the EFL. As has been said before, turkeys do not vote for Christmas. The chances of them changing the rules to prevent the blatant cheating going on are very small, I would guess. And that is the main problem: private members clubs depend on a degree of willingness to comply with the rules, but that appears to be absent now in football. The EFL has been left with a set of rules that cannot be effective when so many clubs (Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Swindon Town, Macclesfield Town, Southend United to name just a few) believe they can simply ignore them and bleat pitifully when they are caught. No one is claiming the EFL is a perfect organisation by a long way, it has made mistakes in disciplinary aspects in particular, but what is the next step now? I agree entirely, the rules need to be tightened up and written down in clear terms including penalties, but I can't see that happening.

On the turkeys/Christmas front, the National League will not be introducing a salary cap - despite a group of clubs advocating that, the idea was not accepted at a last week's summer meeting

I wonder if the Macc petition to have the EFL discussed in Parliament got anywhere? Whilst no government can interfere with the running of private organisations, they can/do set the framework in which they operate

Unfortunately that's what the majority of clubs apparently want and why there is a lack of fixed punishments in the regulations. It doesn't look like changing anytime soon with the same uncertainty continuing to be written into new regulations.
I imagine we aren't one of those. I'm interested why they wouldn't want such a fixed framework to guide them. Is it because they see it as too much like hard work to operate within them, because they are scared of the likely outcome in their failure to do so, because they see only restriction and not benefit from them, or all of the above?

So it is up to the clubs to change the rules, not the EFL. As has been said before, turkeys do not vote for Christmas. The chances of them changing the rules to prevent the blatant cheating going on are very small, I would guess. And that is the main problem: private members clubs depend on a degree of willingness to comply with the rules, but that appears to be absent now in football. The EFL has been left with a set of rules that cannot be effective when so many clubs (Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Swindon Town, Macclesfield Town, Southend United to name just a few) believe they can simply ignore them and bleat pitifully when they are caught. No one is claiming the EFL is a perfect organisation by a long way, it has made mistakes in disciplinary aspects in particular, but what is the next step now? I agree entirely, the rules need to be tightened up and written down in clear terms including penalties, but I can't see that happening.
I think that's also why transparency is needed on the Independent Commision. We know who the EFL are, but no-one seems to know anything about the people making these decisions. Who are they? What's their background?

I imagine we aren't one of those. I'm interested why they wouldn't want such a fixed framework to guide them. Is it because they see it as too much like hard work to operate within them, because they are scared of the likely outcome in their failure to do so, because they see only restriction and not benefit from them, or all of the above?
All good questions.

EFL wanted the points deduction this season...the Independent Commission blocked it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53803735

Have I read that correctly?
The "independent commission" ruled that points should be deducted next season because the EFL dragged the case on against Wednesday for too long when it ought to have been dealt with before season just ended and the commission will therefore delay the points deduction even further???

Really don't get it at all.

And who the f*&* are the independent commission????