Sheffield Wednesday-Manchester City FA Cup 5th round Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Sheffield Wednesday-Manchester City FA Cup 5th round Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Sheffield Wednesday 0 Manchester City 1
FT Stats
Possession
Wednesday 20.1% City 79.9%
Corners
Wednesday 2 City 6
Offsides
Wednesday 4 City 4
Fouls
Wednesday 11 City 6
Cards
Wednesday 1 Y City 1 Y (Mahrez)
On Target
Wednesday 0 City 9
Woodwork
Wednesday 0 City 2
Off Target
Wednesday 1 City 9

Attendance 20,995

Compiled from City Official Site match day thread

Links

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2019/sheffield-wednesday-v-manchester-city

Head-to-head

• Manchester City are unbeaten in their past 12 league and cup games against Sheffield Wednesday (W7, D4), winning the last four.
  • Wednesday's most recent victory against City was 3-1 in a Premier League game at Maine Road in November 1993.
  • All four previous FA Cup ties were won by Manchester City (two of them after a replay).

Manchester City
  • City have never lost to a Championship side under Pep Guardiola.
  • Guardiola's side have won their last six FA Cup games against clubs from a lower division, scoring 23 goals in the process. Their last such defeat was the fifth-round loss to Wigan in 2018.
  • Gabriel Jesus has been directly involved in 11 goals in his eight FA Cup appearances (scoring seven and assisting four), including six in his last three (five goals and one assist).
  • Bernardo Silva has four goals and four assists in his last nine FA Cup appearances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/get-inspired/activity-guides

21:38
'City played superb football'
FT: Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Manchester City

Nigel Pearson
Watford manager on BBC One

Manchester City were just supreme in the second half. They played some superb football. On another day they'd have scored two or three goals more. It is the right result.

21:39
Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Manchester City

Michael Brown
Former Man City midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

First and foremost it was a valiant performance from Sheffield Wednesday. It was a good reaction for the manager after being beaten comfortably at home against Derby. They changed their shape and were difficult to beat. City controlled the possession, they created many chances in the second period and there were some good saves from the goalkeeper, but City should have won it a bit more convincingly.

21:43
'Still a long way to go'

Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez talking to BBC One: "It was tough. We knew it would be tough, but we made the job. Sometimes we have to take the win like this and we're happy to go through.

"We knew they'd sit back and we had to pass the ball between the lines and move a lot. We know we have good players on the ball and we'd create chances.

"There's still a long way to go, but we are trying to win every game. That's how we are as a team. We are going to try all the time to play good and win.

"All the team are very focused every game, the manager makes sure we are focused in every competition. We are very strong mentally and we'll try and win as much as we can."

On all his chances: "Sometimes the ball doesn't want to go in but I'll keep trying until the ball does want to go in!"

21:44

Nigel Pearson
Watford manager on BBC One

Manchester City don't compromise their beliefs. They had respect for Sheffield Wednesday but they did what they do, they wear teams down.

SKY
Player Ratings
Starting XI:

Bravo 6, Cancelo 7, Stones 6, Otamendi 6, Mendy 7, Rodrigo 7, D Silva (C) 7, Bernardo 7, Mahrez 7, G Jesus 7, Aguero 7.

Substitutes

Ederson, Sterling*6, Gundogan, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Foden, Garcia

MUEN
Player Ratings
Starting XI:

Bravo 6, Cancelo 5, Stones 6, Otamendi 7, Mendy 7, Rodrigo 7, D Silva (C) 5, Bernardo 6, Mahrez 5, G Jesus 6, Aguero 6.

Substitutes

Ederson, Sterling*n/a, Gundogan, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Foden, Garcia

I wonder if Brennan was watching the same game as we were

Kuns strike puts City’s record goalscorer one ahead of Wayne Rooney’s all-time mark for Manchester United - in five fewer years, says it all really.

Saw a table the other day with all the figures, but I can't remember where.
I do know Rooney had played over 550 games for United, and Aguero is on about 350 plus for City.

Saw a comment in the MDT, but aye aye......

22:46
De Bruyne a derby day doubt

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Kevin de Bruyne: "Kevin had a problem here (points to shoulder). He was not fit. In the last game, the last minutes he fell down in a bad position and had a problem in his back.

"We don't know how long (he will be out). Hopefully not much."

Asked if he would be fit for the derby, Guardiola said: "I don't know."

Saw a comment in the MDT, but aye aye......

22:46
De Bruyne a derby day doubt

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Kevin de Bruyne: "Kevin had a problem here (points to shoulder). He was not fit. In the last game, the last minutes he fell down in a bad position and had a problem in his back.

"We don't know how long (he will be out). Hopefully not much."

Asked if he would be fit for the derby, Guardiola said: "I don't know."

I don’t think Pep’s is one for mind games but I could be wrong. Either way I hope he is fit for Sunday. We need all our big game players.

Saw a table the other day with all the figures, but I can't remember where.
I do know Rooney had played over 550 games for United, and Aguero is on about 350 plus for City.

An outstanding record. Wonder how many times Rugney was in the PL team of the year by comparison to Sergio?