Sheffield Wed Fan Comments | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sheffield Wed Fan Comments

In an earlier post you were saying you felt Sheff Wed were playing dirty. The stats show we committed more fouls than they did so what does that make us?

And we were 3 goals worse than them because they scored 3 and we scored... 0.

Sounds about right to me.

The first half we went in deservedly level. The second half we also got what we deserved which was nothing.
The stats show one more free kick given against Forest than against Wednesday. That makes us about equal.

I didn't say Wednesday were dirty, just mentioned that RN spotted three cynical fouls by them in the first 18 minutes when we ran at them, with only the third and most blatant bringing a yellow card.

Strange, because when we beat Hull 3-0 there were people queuing up to say that we didn't deserve it. CP even said they had a penalty shout at 1-0 and suggested we wouldn't have come back if it had been given and scored.

But if I say the stats don't show Wednesday three goals better than us, people quote the score.

So which is it? A deserved 3-0 win and a deserved 3-0 defeat, or room for subjective views of both games?
Actually what people were saying about the Hull game was that we played just as badly as them for about 70 minutes before we woke up and showed what we were capable of.

That was in response to people saying we had played really well.

In a similar vein no one has suggested Sheff Wed were great last night because they weren’t. They were just better than we were.

The stats show one more free kick given against Forest than against Wednesday. That makes us about equal.

I didn't say Wednesday were dirty, just mentioned that RN spotted three cynical fouls by them in the first 18 minutes when we ran at them, with only the third and most blatant bringing a yellow card.

You certainly implied they were dirty or at least worse than us which the stats you quoted don’t bear out.

And referees will always try to let things go a bit more at the start of games, rightly or wrongly. Doesn’t make them bias they are just trying to let the game flow but eventually enough is enough and they start showing the card.

Strange, because when we beat Hull 3-0 there were people queuing up to say that we didn't deserve it. CP even said they had a penalty shout at 1-0 and suggested we wouldn't have come back if it had been given and scored.

But if I say the stats don't show Wednesday three goals better than us, people quote the score.

So which is it? A deserved 3-0 win and a deserved 3-0 defeat, or room for subjective views of both games?

It's so difficult to reason with those who have invested so heavily in a narrative that objectivity goes completely out of the window.

As Bash said the first 70 minutes v Hull were shite and yes we got away with a decision and the previous 70 minutes gave no indication we could get back into it.

However for 20 minutes we played some excellent stuff with Carvalho shining. I was excited, others were excited and we hoped there could be a balance between pragmatism and adventure.

Sadly that was quickly dispelled and we returned to hoofball with 3 defensively minded midfielders.

Yesterday it was an even first half, largely poor but the odd decent move. Second half we were torn apart by a side missing their best players.

We were lucky to finish with Xi on the field, but as we know decisions largely even themselves out.

Forest look bobbins. Remember when most opposition fans were saying Forest look a good side, haven't heard that for a while.

Yes I remember, that was under Karanka.

Since then, the same group of players with the exception of the ones that were brought in during January to strengthen the team, are now incapable of the same performances. It’s startling how quickly the current management team have taken us backwards.

Pure conjecture obviously, but I personally believe that had Karanka been persuaded to stay, we’d be in with a shout of top six right now. Instead, we’ve gone from hard to beat and organised, to a disorganised shambles.

God forbid these two are in situ come next season ...

Actually what people were saying about the Hull game was that we played just as badly as them for about 70 minutes before we woke up and showed what we were capable of.

That was in response to people saying we had played really well.

In a similar vein no one has suggested Sheff Wed were great last night because they weren’t. They were just better than we were.

Bringing on the subs, Carvalho & co, in this particular game - made all the difference.....

It's so difficult to reason with those who have invested so heavily in a narrative that objectivity goes completely out of the window.

As Bash said the first 70 minutes v Hull were shite and yes we got away with a decision and the previous 70 minutes gave no indication we could get back into it.

However for 20 minutes we played some excellent stuff with Carvalho shining. I was excited, others were excited and we hoped there could be a balance between pragmatism and adventure.

Sadly that was quickly dispelled and we returned to hoofball with 3 defensively minded midfielders.

Yesterday it was an even first half, largely poor but the odd decent move. Second half we were torn apart by a side missing their best players.

We were lucky to finish with Xi on the field, but as we know decisions largely even themselves out.

Agree CP (don't do that often) - I thought Loony could have had 3-4 yellow cards!

What was the actual reason for switching goalkeeper? I thought Pants had been doing better recently.

Presumably, to assess whether Steele is worth keeping?

Pulled off a couple of good saves, one in particular in the first half, but, very much at fault for their opener.

Bruce said that Wendies got the rub of the green, 3rd goal demonstrative of that when Loony tackled ball against Mattias, Steele made a great reaction save but ball popped straight back into his path.

Watching the game it looked to me like we don't play as a team. Just a bunch of individuals.
There are teams in this league that on paper are weaker than us however get the plaudits they deserve for playing good football and wining games.
The few wins we have picked up recently just seem to paper over cracks as the performances are simply poor.

Presumably, to assess whether Steele is worth keeping?

Pulled off a couple of good saves, one in particular in the first half, but, very much at fault for their opener.

Bruce said that Wendies got the rub of the green, 3rd goal demonstrative of that when Loony tackled ball against Mattias, Steele made a great reaction save but ball popped straight back into his path.

I hope that isn't the case, at a crunch time in the season we shouldn't be experimenting to see whether someone is worth hanging on to. Though it is mathematically still possible to get 6th we are likely to have 2 or 3 dead games that could be used to experiment.

Watching the game it looked to me like we don't play as a team. Just a bunch of individuals.
There are teams in this league that on paper are weaker than us however get the plaudits they deserve for playing good football and wining games.
The few wins we have picked up recently just seem to paper over cracks as the performances are simply poor.

Exactly my thought - a team of individuals, demonstrated by not passing to a better placed player, not just when attacking!

I hope that isn't the case, at a crunch time in the season we shouldn't be experimenting to see whether someone is worth hanging on to. Though it is mathematically still possible to get 6th we are likely to have 2 or 3 dead games that could be used to experiment.

I think they'd given up on playoffs after defeat at Rotherham - who Villa beat with 10 men!