Sheffield Utd Fan Comments | Vital Football

Sheffield Utd Fan Comments

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
3 key players out, might be a step too far.

Four.

Who starts up front? McGoldrick is too important to leave out given how essential 3 points are today.

Forest are shit.

Far to predictable. If we are going to decide to play the big man striker for the last third of every season we should at least learn how to incorporate one.

Sick of it time and time again, Sheffield United and a big man upfront = hoof, and abandoning everything that has got us so far.

Ref’s got most stuff right (including the dive and resultant booking for the Forest player).

Great finish!

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS 2-0.

We are a small team especially with Bash and Egan out makes defending high balls very difficult to win.

Fantastic result, poor performance again though. Would we have won if it was 11 v 11? I'm not convinced.

Forest are a poor side and are on the beach and have lost 5 straight

Nottingham Forest – Thought they were abject. They defended deep and with numbers and just tried to stop us going through them. They sent us wide but our crosses were really poor to be honest and they will feel they actually had the best chance when Murphy got through and shot wide first half but Henderson did not have a significant save to make all game. We were all panicking but not sure they ever looked like scoring. That free kick that went further wide than where it started summed them up.

Their fans were sarcastically cheering when they put a few passes together.

Actually, first half they stayed in the game and defended well, covering and working hard but they did not do much when they had it. Lolley had a few good runs but they obviously have rotated the team round and are trying a few things. Nothing is really working as they keep losing. O’Neill (and Keane) have not really had an impact at all since they came in and they look further away from a playoff team now then when he went in – stats may show otherwise. After the red card and goal, they looked a bit of a mess but then they had a bit of a spell before we killed it. Overall though they were well beaten over the course of the game as we had more chances, shots on/off target, corners, possession and ultimately moments that count.

Not sure of their identity. They have a few loan players in and some international players that cost a fair bit admittedly not many played today) and then Grabban is a decent striker also and I was glad he did not play. They have a big summer to kind of change things around a bit. They seem to keep changing their manager but it is not working. They have spent a fair bit actually when you look at the outlay on the players but it has not really gelled. Today they looked a team just waiting for the season to finish and complete contract to Millwall last week. The fact United struggled was as much down to us as them I felt.

Opponent man of the match – Lolley. Not even close. Plays right hand side but comes onto his left. Good runner, decent on the ball and links play. Got a few tricks and runs in from the wing. Very good player. He tried hard but ultimately had little help. In the end he got tired and lost Stevens on the goal. Not sure anyone else really stood out.

Weak link – Benalouane was a bit moronic to dive in and might have to take the award here. However, the lad Cash seemed to be like a special team taking the free kicks and long throws – either illegally as was the case with the latter. Also Pele in midfield was erm not like Pele. Colback was lucky to stay on the pitch and was out of depth in a full back position.

I marvel at McGoldrick's skill in tight situations. He does it all the time, but there was one second half where he had 3 men on him and he did a little drag back and came away with the ball. It's like watching an artist at work.

Quite honestly the worst Forest team I’ve seen.

McGoldrick was magic today.

Forest lot were as loud as I've heard this season. Considering form i was impressed.

Forest did amuse me with their "how shit must you be, you've only scored one" chant.

Must be said.......that's one of the poorest forest teams i've ever seen.

Must be hard for them having won the European Cup twice donkey's years ago and having developed a great sense of entitlement and superiority that they're now so utterly crap.

Have they won the European cup twice !? You think their fans might mention it occasionally!!

They're basically named after some wood.

Funny how the teams that get promoted each year aren't that good. And all the good teams aren't...

All this bile from fans of a team that didn't even muster a shot on target. I love it when we beat the scabs who are only second to the pigs for arrogance and delusion. They still hate the fact that Robin Hood came from Sheffield hahahahaha.

“We went down to ten-men when Sheffield United were flying (won 5 in a row) and going for automatic promotion in 2009 and we were fighting relegation. Kelvin Wilson was sent-off after 15 minutes. We magnificently held on to draw 0-0."

I remember that game. I'm very surprised any Forest fan is able to mention it without being severely embarrassed. They took time wasting and gamesmanship to a whole new level.

For a club that seems to think it is part of some sort of footballing elite, that game went beyond embarrassment and Brian Clough would have turned in his grave. He would never ever have allowed any of his sides 'play' like that.

The most memorable example of absolute shithousing that I’ve seen. They were embarrassing.

“If only we could attract creative hard working players like McGoldrick and Sharp!”

Love a bit of gallows humour.

That dive / penalty decision, was it? Wasn't it?

Blatant foul.

Blatant dive.

And Colback should have been blatently off for a second yellow at the start of the second.

I can't believe there are Forest fans genuinely complaining about that dive... Well done to the referee for having the nads to book Colback so early for it.

Notice how Colback barely complained too.

He looked embarrassed.

Like watching Das Boot and Crimson Tide at the same time.

On the other hand, a generous reading of the situation says that McGoldrick fell over hurdling a tackle. A cynic would say he dived. Either way, he wasn't taken out.

And there were Forest players on the cover. Would have been well annoyed if that decision had been at the other end.

Indeed. A red would have been harsh if he'd caught him (an argument could be made either way) but he didn't.

There's no way the Forest players would have got back if McGoldrick hadn't been fouled Why do people always look at incidents like this and say there are covering defenders when McGoldrick is already on the floor. If McGoldrick isn't touched, he's eight yards out and clean through.

He wasn't touched.

Even if there’s was no contact there was the intention so either way it’s a foul.

Definite foul on McG imo. He was on his way around the defender who was stuck flat footed. Any contact was minimal but the lunge was reckless and stopped McG getting on the end of the run without being close to playing the ball.

I think the red card was harsh and I’d be annoyed if it was handed to one of ours. There was a couple of defenders getting back and I don’t think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. He was on his weak foot coming into the area at pace with the ball moving quickly ahead of him. It certainly helped us though and I’ll take it! I wish we would run at defenders and try and commit them a bit more often. What a game he had upfront.

Their penalty shout wasn’t a pen imo. Don’t think he was going to get on the end of his cut inside. He saw the opportunity to play for contact and went for it.

Why, in good green earth, would McG choose to go down when he was through on Goal.

He wasn't in the area, he wasn't going to get a penalty. He'd have been mad to go down intentionally.

It was also a red. If the player didn't bring him down he's through on goal. No one was getting to him before he could get his shot off. It's irrelevant if it was on his weaker foot.

I was bang in line with the mcgoldrick foul. Yes there were other defenders in line but at the speed mcgoldrick was running and the proximity he was to goal, there was no way in the world those defenders would have got around before he was through on goal. Therefore the referee and linesman (who communicated well) got it spot on.

People need to read the rules of football. The Gerrard incident was a penalty (Styles’ explanation was correct) and the red card incident today was a foul. As for the two players ‘covering’, they were five yards behind McGoldrick when he had to slow down due to the challenge. The ref got it right. The rule is pasted below, with the relevant parts in bold.

LAW 12

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges

jumps at

kicks or attempts to kick

pushes

strikes or attempts to strike(including head-butt)

tackles or challenges

trips or attempts to trip

For the incident with Duffy / Colbeck, I reckon that could have gone either way. Duffy didn’t need to leave his knee out, but it’s very debatable whether it was a foul.

there were NO covering defenders - watch the fucking SKY video - they were behind McG - the contact made McG lose stride otherwise he would have got a shot away - which is denying a goal scoring opportunity.

An unnecessary lunge with no covering defenders, simple as that.

Anyone who says the words “last man” in connection with red cards loses my respect immediately. He prattles on about the rulebook being made a mockery of when he can’t have read it.

Denying someone a clear goalscoring opportunity is a red card (unless genuine attempt, in the box etc). That was a red card.

I don’t care how shocked their player looked and I don’t care how angry Martin O’Neill was.

Anybody who knows anything about football knows that’s a straight red.

And if all you can see is “last man”, your defender was the fucking last man! If you don’t like it, tell your player not to defend square on and swing wildly when someone skins him.

What a bunch of wankers

Talking all this shit about "entitlement". Always comes from small clubs that haven't actually met any forest fans and are inventing conversations in their heads. They manage to mention our self deprecating chants in the same breathe as claiming we are self entitled...

And at the same time, after three successive promotion challenging seasons, with the PL a real possibility you can still see large numbers of empty seats

The most memorable example of absolute shithousing that I’ve seen. They were embarrassing.

shy.gif

They adore McGoaldrought.

shy.gif

They adore McGoaldrought.

When it comes to shithousing, they are historically by far one of the worst teams to have ever played in the football league and are an embarrassment to professional sport and if they ever went out of business, it would be no less than what they would deserve for their approach to the game.

We went down to ten-men when Sheffield United were flying (won 5 in a row) and going for automatic promotion in 2009 and we were fighting relegation. Kelvin Wilson was sent-off after 15 minutes. We magnificently held on to draw 0-0.

The KING was in charge.

I remember that game. I'm very surprised any Forest fan is able to mention it without being severely embarrassed. They took time wasting and gamesmanship to a whole new level.

Classic Billy. :grinning:

Classic Billy. :grinning:
I was there.

I remember Blackwell ranting and raving about our tactics.

What on earth did he expect us to do?

We had just beaten Bristol City to give ourselves a chance of survival. We were fighting for our lives and the referee sent our defender off 15 minutes in.

Blackwell seemed to think we should just roll over and die for them rather than them actually having to make it happen themselves.

We defended heroically, got a precious point against a much better team and they failed to win promotion. If they wanted to go up, they needed to be able to break us down in that situation. Tough shit on them that they couldn't.

I remember being at Glanford Park two years later. We were on a great run, going for promotion ourselves this time. Scunny scored in the first half and in the second never even left the edge of their box. Literally, it wasn't a game of football, it became a futsal pitch as we tried to take it into shooting range of a box defended by 11 scunny players.

We lost and our challenge fell away from there. I don't bemoan their tactics that day- it was up to us break them down and we didn't. That's football

Cheers CP - the reasonable comments can’t really be argued and the fact that they are debating the sending off and Colbacks yellow says it all.

Am not surprised they called us poor and shithouses as, to be fair, we are both. They do seem to forget their own history though.

Irrelevant fans of an irrelevant team though.

I was there.

I remember Blackwell ranting and raving about our tactics.

What on earth did he expect us to do?

We had just beaten Bristol City to give ourselves a chance of survival. We were fighting for our lives and the referee sent our defender off 15 minutes in.

Blackwell seemed to think we should just roll over and die for them rather than them actually having to make it happen themselves.

We defended heroically, got a precious point against a much better team and they failed to win promotion. If they wanted to go up, they needed to be able to break us down in that situation. Tough shit on them that they couldn't.

Good stuff. That Bristol City game. OMG.

We drew our last 3 away games and won our last 3 home games to stay up.

Points were very valuable away from home back then cos you knew Billy would invariably win at the City Ground.

The next season we finished 3rd, going over 30 games in a row without conceding more than 1 goal in a game. Bday

Good stuff. That Bristol City game. OMG.

We drew our last 3 away games and won our last 3 home games to stay up.

Points were very valuable away from home back then cos you knew Billy would invariably win at the City Ground.

The next season we finished 3rd, going over 30 games in a row without conceding more than 1 goal in a game. Bday
And unbeaten away until the end of January

Bunch of wankers is being fair on the vast majority of their fans. How they can ever criticise a team for shit housing when Chris Morgan is on their staff is beyond me.

Owd Brian Deane is their 2nd best ever player he wouldn’t even get in our current team & we’re fucking shit.

The scabs thing from them is annoying as well as Rotherham/Barnsley fair play they are allowed to be bitter, though they probably should’ve got over it by now. Blunts are meant to be Steel workers & them & the miners weren’t exactly friends, their fans used to wave pay slips at Barnsley fans in the early 80’s. Apart from you know their fans from around Worksop who were you know working down a mine.

They’re an even bigger certainty to be relegated than we would, but obviously that’ll be all West Ham’s fault.

Bunch of wankers is being fair on the vast majority of their fans. How they can ever criticise a team for shit housing when Chris Morgan is on their staff is beyond me.

Owd Brian Deane is their 2nd best ever player he wouldn’t even get in our current team & we’re fucking shit.

The scabs thing from them is annoying as well as Rotherham/Barnsley fair play they are allowed to be bitter, though they probably should’ve got over it by now. Blunts are meant to be Steel workers & them & the miners weren’t exactly friends, their fans used to wave pay slips at Barnsley fans in the early 80’s. Apart from you know their fans from around Worksop who were you know working down a mine.

They’re an even bigger certainty to be relegated than we would, but obviously that’ll be all West Ham’s fault.
Fuck me Woanz, it’s easier to follow a Malta post, and he has an excuse.

Brian Deane was masterbate - an awful player and an absolute joke that he got capped by England, but he would probably be our best player if he was in our current squad TBF.

Few of them saw it as very harsh Benny getting sent off, one gobbing off there was no covering defenders and as it was a clear goal scoring chance red was right. Err well he was still 18 yards out hardly clear cut, there was at least 3 of our players a yard or 2 away to out in a challenge and mcgoaldraught isn't grease lightning he'd of been caught.

Has he fucking gone yet? Him and his c#*t of a bouncer. I see he’s (Keane) on Sky on Wednesday for the Manchester Derby. Might be worth sticking to his job to make sure Osborb can get ready for Murphy’s knock downs against the mighty Bolton, which we will no doubt lose, whilst checking on the on loan players for next season that will never play for us again.

I ain’t going on Monday, fuck ‘em, however, I will be there for the final game, just to meet some of you lot, if you’re up for it.