Sheff Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 3 March @ 6pm - BT | Page 35 | Vital Football

Sheff Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 3 March @ 6pm - BT

Yes mate I wouldnt disagree with that.
Its a sort of filter top down system where the big clubs off load and the next clubs in size see their cast offs as a step in the right direction.
Its all about the established pecking order, and trying to gate crash it.

Yes, I agree, but we need to be sure of what our long term goal is, do we be happy with just being in the prem, if so, then like you said we need to wait for other bigger clubs to offload their current players who are not in form or do not get a game to be sold to other lesser clubs like ours. Or if we want to get into the top 6 group we need to spend big money on players and wages, but is that the right way unless we have City and Chelsea levels of money? I think we should be doing it the Leicester way.

Yes, I agree, but we need to be sure of what our long term goal is, do we be happy with just being in the prem, if so, then like you said we need to wait for other bigger clubs to offload their current players who are not in form or do not get a game to be sold to other lesser clubs like ours. Or if we want to get into the top 6 group we need to spend big money on players and wages, but is that the right way unless we have City and Chelsea levels of money? I think we should be doing it the Leicester way.
I think we do have considerable funding, but what we dont have is the world wide marketing exposure that, allows us to spend our money without upsetting the powers that be, re afforability
Leicester, yes, that is a club that has punched way above its weight and its a good model to follow if you can get the management and scouting system right.

If you watch the interviews with the CEO and the ones with the owners , then it is very clear what our goals are.

We've spent big money every season we've been at this level and there's no sign of that letting up. If we keep investing we will continue to improve, there may well come a time where we out grow Smith's capabilities and if so I'm sure that will be addressed at the time. Ultimately we seem to be in very good hands, at this stage I have absolutely no concerns about our owners, the plan and the direction.

We've spent big money every season we've been at this level and there's no sign of that letting up. If we keep investing we will continue to improve, there may well come a time where we out grow Smith's capabilities and if so I'm sure that will be addressed at the time. Ultimately we seem to be in very good hands, at this stage I have absolutely no concerns about our owners, the plan and the direction.

Yes. I am sure there will be a glass ceiling at some point , but we haven't reached it yet.

We're aiming for the top. And we won't be spending huge amounts on over-rated castoffs from "top" clubs. Get in potential quality players at reasonable prices who we can develop. Or genuine bargains like Emi. Sanson may be a genuine bargain, if he ever gets to start.

In spite of the frustrations losing to Real Burnley and Inter Sheffield, I think we're having a good season. Massively better than last season, which is what counts. We should get better.

Bitterly disappointing but after calming down I recognise that from being mid Championship two years back, to relegation fodder last year, to comfortable mid Prem is great progress under Deano. I won't be slagging them off any time soon. UTV

We’ve definitely lost our way a bit and Sheff Utd can be added to Brighton, Burnley, Southampton almost expected. There were some appalling mistakes very early in the match that were difficult to believe in a team in our position. Two were very early on when under no pressure McGinn passes to the opposition creating danger and then Nakamba does the same. There were so many more and that sloppiness seems to shape the way we go onto play against these sort of teams. Sheffield were by far the worst team I’ve seen us play but we had no idea, no one-twos, no attempts at getting behind the defence mainly humps upfield anywhere. How many times is Dean going to be surprised by this?!

We’ve definitely lost our way a bit and Sheff Utd can be added to Brighton, Burnley, Southampton almost expected. There were some appalling mistakes very early in the match that were difficult to believe in a team in our position. Two were very early on when under no pressure McGinn passes to the opposition creating danger and then Nakamba does the same. There were so many more and that sloppiness seems to shape the way we go onto play against these sort of teams. Sheffield were by far the worst team I’ve seen us play but we had no idea, no one-twos, no attempts at getting behind the defence mainly humps upfield anywhere. How many times is Dean going to be surprised by this?!
Dean has hit his personal glass ceiling at this level, its showing now regularly in the performances and the lack of game plan changes within games .

I have to say Wicked that last night, especially against the ten men, our ability to put a decent cross into the box from open play, free kicks or corners was woeful.
Add into that, our only means of attack was to lump it in, and hope for the best, and as you say no little triangles or runs in behind the full backs.
Not a massive fan of Davies, but if your chosen route to goal is knock it in then I dont understand why he wasnt bought on as soon as they went to ten.
We wasted thirty minutes banging balls into the box with virtually no success at all, and then he is bought on as a last roll of the dice type move, with nine minutes to go.
He did create a bit of nuisance value when he came on, but its a big ask all the time for a player who only ever gets ten minutes when we are desperate.
We obviously dont rate him, or arent prepared to change the system to accomodate him.

This is Deano's second ever season in the Prem, as it is for many players. To write him off 'at this level' seems absurd given our progress year-on-year. By that logic we should also write off Klopp, Mourinho, Hassenhuttl, Nuno as well.
I’m not writing him off at all just looking for some progress on the pitch. We have four coaches and some half decent players against a poor depleted side with 10 men and we didn’t look like we had any idea of what to do. How many times have we played against 10 and been similarly clueless?

I’m not writing him off at all just looking for some progress on the pitch. We have four coaches and some half decent players against a poor depleted side with 10 men and we didn’t look like we had any idea of what to do. How many times have we played against 10 and been similarly clueless?

I don't think its 10 men that's a factor necessarily , more that we struggle to break teams down that sit deep and put everyone behind the ball.

I don't think its 10 men that's a factor necessarily , more that we struggle to break teams down that sit deep and put everyone behind the ball.
I agree and I desperately want Dean to succeed and I’m sure he can. But from the outset last night we didn’t do enough, we were, as Dean puts it, sloppy once again. I don’t want to see sloppy. All I’m asking is that we start a game by passing to our own players then showing some tactics of beating a massed defence for which he must have been planning. This sloppiness is very close to how bad we were last season.

Please don't ask the right questions !

The thing is he says we were sloppy so why the feck did he leave it so late to get those sloppy players off.

The things he says and does make me laugh sometimes. As long as we are doing better than last season, we have to accept he is our manager and you won't find many who will criticise. We are told he is learning. I don't see that. I remember getting heavily berated for criticising our football under Bruce even though we had reached the play off finals. It was good to be vindicated when he finally got dismissed due to our terrible football the following season which resulted in a string of poor results.