Sheff Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 3 March @ 6pm - BT | Page 36 | Vital Football

Sheff Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 3 March @ 6pm - BT

True judge is end of season, but we're ahead of expectations and there's definitely more to improve upon - both in terms of quality and consistency.

For all the praise at Hassenhuttl (another manager I like) Saints look as good and as bad as we do still and there's no rhyme to it.

To throw another perspective out there, if we were Sheffield United fans after seeing that, we would be lauding the defensive performance to achieve a result. Only you don't have to look or think back far, as that's what we did at Southampton. To call upon a cliché so adored on here, "some go for you, some don't; it evens out over the season"!

I think anyone who has seen Sheffield United's results and performances this season would know it would be a tight affair (I think City only beat them 1-0 in their 2 fixtures). I actually felt it was very similar to the game against them at Villa Park and you could argue we fashioned more/better chances this time.

If you cannot recall the heady days of September, seek out the highlights or this Twitter thread is actually very good I think:
It is disappointing; a missed opportunity for sure, but I think it just underpins that we're still a significant work in progress/midtable club, as others have stated. As a result, it means we have to take the rollercoaster of results but this still makes it a marked improvement on last season! To those it said it could have been more, would you have expected 10 points out of the 'Big 6' at this stage based on our efforts against them last year? Swap them onto last night, Burnley & West Ham away plus Brighton at home; it would then be a discussion on needing points off the big boys in order to challenge for Europe.

Piss poor and pathetic performance all round.

Next!
Frustrating isn't it every time we think we can move up the table against a crap side we blow it. (They are not crap and they rarely roll over though.)
Mainly because of the mentality of the players who seem, just like us fans, to think it a foregone conclusion.
I think the hype surrounding Villa although not up there with the Leeds and Bielsbub stuff is being believed by the players as well.

As I said before the game we need to go back to the end of last season mentality where we keep it tight and hit them quickly because we sure as hell don't have a clue when teams sit deep. Even Man city struggle in that situation but they have sorted out their defence so its a matter of plugging away.

We always have a rick in us at the back and once we concede it curtains, we don't have a leader who can turn it around on or off the pitch, heads drop. Once we go a goal up you can see the determination to keep that lead. which I find strange
Only once have we come back from conceding first and getting something. The draw at Chelsea.

I’m not writing him off at all just looking for some progress on the pitch. We have four coaches and some half decent players against a poor depleted side with 10 men and we didn’t look like we had any idea of what to do. How many times have we played against 10 and been similarly clueless?
Their 3 first choice centre halves were out injured too. Elmo should have gone off when they decided to just put 9 men in their penalty area

This is Deano's second ever season in the Prem, as it is for many players. To write him off 'at this level' seems absurd given our progress year-on-year. By that logic we should also write off Klopp, Mourinho, Hassenhuttl, Nuno as well.
We all know without the help of covid 19, we’d now be in the Championship, we were in free fall.

Their 3 first choice centre halves were out injured too. Elmo should have gone off when they decided to just put 9 men in their penalty area
Totally. We’re up against a depleted team with little to offer as an attacking force and even less when Jagielka is sent off. What tactical change did we make to tackle what would be an even more massed defence holding onto a one goal advantage? The obvious choice from that point was to put Keinan on for Elmo to get someone closer to Watkins. The lack of action is worrying particularly as Shakespeare was brought in to add some tactical advice.

Dean has hit his personal glass ceiling at this level, its showing now regularly in the performances and the lack of game plan changes within games .

As ever , over the top and unbalanced. The season hasn’t finished and you have one full season in this league to get your evidence and make this assessment. How can you possibly say he has hit the glass ceiling when there is every chance there will be an improvement on league placing this year which gives him the opportunity to improve again next season. If he doesn’t at the end of next season and we finish below this seasons place or looks dead cert that we will then you have a case. But no way can this be said with any certainty now.

How about we actually finish the season instead of react so doom and gloom every time we lose. I never read this type of thing when we win. Such a modern fan trait, which surprises me with you given that you have clearly been round the block for years with villa.

Last edited:
So annoyed we only went with 2 up top for the last ten minutes. As much as I like Dean Smith I agree with everyone who criticises his ability, or lack of, to make effective tactical changes during a game. Only 1 point gained from games where we concede first says it all

As ever , over the top and unbalanced. The season hasn’t finished and you have one full season in this league to get your evidence and make this assessment. How can you possibly say he has hit the glass ceiling when there is every chance there will be an improvement on league placing this year which gives him the opportunity to improve again next season. If he doesn’t at the end of next season and we finish below this seasons place or looks dead cert that we will then you have a case. But no way can this be said with any certainty now.

How about we actually finish the season instead of react so doom and gloom every time we lose. I never read this type of thing when we win. Such a modern fan trait, which surprises me with you given that you have clearly been round the block for years with villa.

Dean is a victim of the start we had, if say we'd been where Leeds are all season then won our last 4 games to finish 8th everyone would say what a decent season we have had. we may still do that of course.

Anyway, its all to play for and to be honest if we'd kept up the start we had we'd have won the league by now, so would Southampton and Everton, that wasn't ever going to happen, neither was the Champions League.

Our squad is what it is 11 or 12 decent players and the best footballer in England

To throw another perspective out there, if we were Sheffield United fans after seeing that, we would be lauding the defensive performance to achieve a result. Only you don't have to look or think back far, as that's what we did at Southampton. To call upon a cliché so adored on here, "some go for you, some don't; it evens out over the season"!

I think anyone who has seen Sheffield United's results and performances this season would know it would be a tight affair (I think City only beat them 1-0 in their 2 fixtures). I actually felt it was very similar to the game against them at Villa Park and you could argue we fashioned more/better chances this time.

If you cannot recall the heady days of September, seek out the highlights or this Twitter thread is actually very good I think:
It is disappointing; a missed opportunity for sure, but I think it just underpins that we're still a significant work in progress/midtable club, as others have stated. As a result, it means we have to take the rollercoaster of results but this still makes it a marked improvement on last season! To those it said it could have been more, would you have expected 10 points out of the 'Big 6' at this stage based on our efforts against them last year? Swap them onto last night, Burnley & West Ham away plus Brighton at home; it would then be a discussion on needing points off the big boys in order to challenge for Europe.
and that pretty much underpins what i said about the danger of us being Sheff Utd next season. On current form the warning signs are flashing

that might be the problem i have.

Melon: after the match...
Smith has had a shocker tonight. He has been done by Wilder as he did Bielsa on Saturday. Wrong to go with the same line up. Naive to pick Ramsey again. Picked the under performing Mcginn and Bert again and failed to anticipate and then cope with the 3 CB approach from SU.

Melon: after a day or two...

I had to laugh at this because immediately after a match if we lose when playing poorly most of us - not all - do react emotionally, including Melon. I certainly do. And we all know that in a few more games time the whole argument may have shifted anyway but posters who give their honest opinions popular or not should be applauded as this would be a very boring site indeed if we all agreed.