Sheep Shaggers V Hopeless League One Candidates | Page 17 | Vital Football

Sheep Shaggers V Hopeless League One Candidates

Regardless of the reasons, it categorically doesn’t work for us and it needs to change.
Something needs to change obviously but it goes far deeper than the formation. 4-2-3-1 at its most offensive is 4-2-4 and 4-5-1 at its most defensive.

If we played 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 they could both very easily wind up being 4-5-1.

Whether it’s the manager, the players or a mix of both our players seem to have no composure. They can’t hold onto the ball and they can’t seem to pass it. The players sit back and seem almost afraid to attack. To me that’s as much confidence as anything else.

The quality of the team is starting to improve as we bring players in but we have left it so late that we had gaps in our team let alone squad and we now have to try to fix the problems caused by our lack of activity.

I honestly couldn’t guess whether we will have any more players in and what their quality will be. I also wouldn’t like to guess whether Hughton will still be here by the end of the international break.

The club as a whole have ballsed up big style and there is more than enough blame to be shared around. I don’t subscribe to the comments that fans are to blame. There is a culture of short-termism that permeates the entire football world but players, managers and execs are very well remunerated and dealing with fan expectation is part of the job.

I am just clinging onto hope that the situation can be turned around and quickly. I really don’t fancy another spell in league one.

Last edited:
Our players seem scared to really take defenders on or try something different, you never see even a simple back heel it's like the flair has been totally removed.

I think he was very unlucky today, Roos off his line would be expecting being lobbed but the genius Taylor went for the low one, like they do when a wall jumps at a free kick :p

Apart from that, can't fault him for effort but ya need a bit more than just that, unfortunately.

You can't fault Taylor or Yates for effort, but they just don't have the skill. Yates could do a job if he had talented creative players around him. Despite Johnson's goal, even as the RW he could be seen standing watching Derby's attacks. Odd moments of skill from him, but less effort than we used to get from McGugan.

Also think Rooney out-Hughtoned Hughton in this game. Wrong subs at wrong time and then sat back too deep…

You can't fault Taylor or Yates for effort, but they just don't have the skill. Yates could do a job if he had talented creative players around him. Despite Johnson's goal, even as the RW he could be seen standing watching Derby's attacks. Odd moments of skill from him, but less effort than we used to get from McGugan.
Yates had Garner alongside him who is quality but it wasn’t his best day. Having better full backs would help.

I was surprised he played both Johnson and Carv and despite the goal I was even more surprised when it was Carv who was hooked for Mighten.

To me Carv is the better fit with Zink as he is more able to pick a pass whereas Johnson is more a ball-carrier.

We need our attacking players to attack. Until they do we are going to remain in the shit.

Johnson seems genuinely quick he maybe worth trying up the middle, capable of getting past players. Carvhlo was putting a shift in closing down, trouble was when he actually got the ball there was only Taylor who had at least 2 marking him and the wide players were to deep. He needs runners so he can slide them in, we just don't play to our attacking players strengths.

Johnson seems genuinely quick he maybe worth trying up the middle, capable of getting past players. Carvhlo was putting a shift in closing down, trouble was when he actually got the ball there was only Taylor who had at least 2 marking him and the wide players were to deep. He needs runners so he can slide them in, we just don't play to our attacking players strengths.

Agreed. I actually thought carvalho was growing into it. Good in tight spaces. Was disappointed to see him go off.