Shame we didn't listen to Pleat.. | Vital Football

Shame we didn't listen to Pleat..

Spursex

Alert Team
It's worth noting that he pushed like mad for Eze and Ollie Watkins who went to Villa, and all got turned down by Jose..

We could have done with all three about now..

David Pleat ‘did all he could’ to convince Tottenham to sign 23-goal EFL player

db7d5b16b5eb0de25340dd003e1ef2a1

Published
8 mins ago
on
11/02/2021

By
Ned Holmes

David Pleat did “all he could” to convince Tottenham to beat Brentford to the signing of in-form striker Ivan Toney, according to Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony.

Toney grabbed a goal and two assists to help the Bees beat Reading and move top of the Championship last night.

The 24-year-old has been sensational since joining from Peterborough in the summer, scoring 23 goals and adding nine assists – making him the division’s top scorer and leading provider of assists.
Speaking on Twitter last night, the Posh owner revealed that Pleat did “all he could” to persuade Tottenham to sign Toney before he left the League One club to join the Bees in the summer.

The exact fee for Toney is unclear but MacAnthony indicated last night that it was above the £5 million that has been suggested.

In addition to three later spells as caretaker boss, Pleat was the Spurs manager between 1986 and 1987, as well as serving as the club’s director of football at other points.
The 75-year-old also has links to Peterborough, having ended his playing career at the club.
Did these 15 former Brentford players leave for a higher or lower fee than they arrived for?
1 of 15

The Verdict

Spurs fans may be wishing that the club listened to Pleat because Toney has been sensational for Brentford this season.

A physical forward that is an ice-cool finisher and has an eye for a pass or a flick, the 24-year-old will surely be playing in the Premier League next year – with or without the Bees.

Should Tottenham look to bring him to North London in the summer, you feel they’ll have to pay significantly more than it would’ve cost them had they listened to Pleat originally.

For the good of the players I say no. Both Ollie and Eze are playing regularly getting premier League starts nearly every week. If we signed them then they might go weeks without playing a match. For the good of the players I am glad they went to clubs who would use them more. Just look at Gedson and Vincus. One barely used and the other sent packing.

For the good of the players I say no. Both Ollie and Eze are playing regularly getting premier League starts nearly every week. If we signed them then they might go weeks without playing a match. For the good of the players I am glad they went to clubs who would use them more. Just look at Gedson and Vincus. One barely used and the other sent packing.

But I have to say PJ, neither Vini or Gedson were or are in the same class, why we turned down these players, players we could have easily picked up, I will never know.

But I have to say PJ, neither Vini or Gedson were or are in the same class, why we turned down these players, players we could have easily picked up, I will never know.

I know but at the time I can remember people saying that Gedson is one off the brightest stars in Europe. I was saying he is not he is very average. I said the same about Vini. I just know that Ollie would not get minutes a head of Kane and neither would Eze. Not under Jose. Would I have preferred these 2 instead of Gedson and Vini ,of course I would but neither would come to us while Jose is incharge and Ollie will not if Kane is here

My instinct is that Gedson has way more career runway than Ollie Watkins. I like the time Eze has on the ball but question whether he has the full package. I haven't seen enough of Ivan Toney but feeling like he's might be more Mitorovic than Kane :-)

Anyway, back in the day before AVB's famous 7, there was Pleat's fantastic 5 - Davies, Etherington, Gardner, Ginger Pele and a guy called Dave McEwan. He convinced us all we had Peterborough, Port Vale and Luton's finest. How did that work out for him?

"easily picked up", you're being oh so cute, those were as done deals as they come.

Bad biz. Coulda brought them in and loaned them out if they had too much quality ahead of them. Not buying them was just flat out plain dumb & stoopid.

Jose is a moron.

Also Gedson is a fantastic player.