Shakhtar Donetsk 2 City 1 Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate | Vital Football

Shakhtar Donetsk 2 City 1 Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Stats Link:

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=588085

Stats © BBC Sport 2017. All Rights Reserved.

The Ped intoEurope Report by Pedmachine to follow

Bernardo Silva:

"The game didn't go as we expected, in the first half they were better than us and it was a deserved win for them.

"In the second half we tried to come back, had our chances, but we are not happy. Even though we had already qualified, we wanted the three points.

"We have played against some amazing teams this season, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and we did well. In the Champions League you never know what will happen and we will see what happens.

"We will try our best to win all the competitions. Today it was a big opportunity for most of the players that are not playing as much as the others. I hope we can win at the weekend (against Manchester United), this is a really important match for us."

Joleon Lescott

Former England defender on BBC 5 live

"I wouldn't mind City getting Real Madrid. I think they'd dominate.

I think Juve would be the hardest as they are very strong defensively."

Pep Guardiola:

"Congratulations to them, it was a good game. Their first goal was magnificent, and the second goal we didn't defend that well.

"I'm so pleased for Tosin (Adarabioyo), Phil (Foden) and Brahim (Diaz) and how well they played. We came here to win, we couldn't but we were trying until the end to do so. I'm happy for the performance.

"Now we are going to rest, come back tomorrow and prepare for the game (against Manchester United)."

I didn't see tonight's game, sounds like I didn't miss much but what system did we start with and who played where?

Looking at the personnel, it seems very unbalanced.

Of all the games in all the world this one would be the one to choose to lose your run to, becuase the result didn't matter.

What bothers me is will this loss affect them for Sundays match?

Bluedub - 6/12/2017 22:21

I didn't see tonight's game, sounds like I didn't miss much but what system did we start with and who played where?

A curate's egg of a game. Shakhtar clearly had the greater desire/need and it was reflected in the first half.

GK - Ederson
3 CBs - Adarabioyo, Fernandinho, Mangala
Wing Backs - Danilo (R); Foden (L)
Mid - Toure, Gundogan
Forward - B Silva, Jesus, Sane

Youngsters: -

Foden - played well for the most part but was a bit lost out wide. Improved when Diaz joined the party.

Adarabioyo - Composed, poised and pretty smooth

Diaz - enjoyed a very positive 20 minutes and did not look out of place. Set up Jesus for an attempt which hit the post. Showed his close control and combined well with Foden.

A good run out and great for the young lads to get some solid, grown up game time. All part of the learning curve.

Buzz Lightyear - 7/12/2017 08:34

Of all the games in all the world this one would be the one to choose to lose your run to, becuase the result didn't matter.

What bothers me is will this loss affect them for Sundays match?

Rather get it out of the way in this fixture than the next one or we'd never hear the end of it.

I don't think so - 7 changes; Fernandinho as a CB; Foden out of position but not out of his depth; Sane at 3/4 speed with the derby on the horizon; the opposition with more skin in the game......

It will largely depend on how Pep has discussed this with the squad - it was a real opportunity to look at some other options, give promising youngsters some solid senior game time. I am sure he will not allow this to affect the prep for the main event - this was to all intents and purposes a side show. Shame to lose the record but they all have to go sometime and Shakhtar aren't too shabby a team after all.

Skoorb - 7/12/2017 08:43

Bluedub - 6/12/2017 22:21

A curate's egg of a game. Shakhtar clearly had the greater desire/need and it was reflected in the first half.

GK - Ederson
3 CBs - Adarabioyo, Fernandinho, Mangala
Wing Backs - Danilo (R); Foden (L)
Mid - Toure, Gundogan
Forward - B Silva, Jesus, Sane

Youngsters: -

Foden - played well for the most part but was a bit lost out wide. Improved when Diaz joined the party.

Adarabioyo - Composed, poised and pretty smooth

Diaz - enjoyed a very positive 20 minutes and did not look out of place. Set up Jesus for an attempt which hit the post. Showed his close control and combined well with Foden.

A good run out and great for the young lads to get some solid, grown up game time. All part of the learning curve.

Thanks for that Skoorb, surprised it was just a 1 goal defeat, considering.

First goal was a quality finish, not unlike Sterling's vs Southampton. Danilo gave Bernard a tad too much space but it was a quality goal so that might be a bit harsh. The second was a breakaway - long ball from the midfield into space behind the CB's. Eddy came rushing out and opted to avoid a sending off by not clattering the player who calmly slotted it home. Bit of a rush of blood from Eddy, perhaps not concentrating and a fraction late setting off. We turned up in the second half and looked especially threatening when Diaz was on the pitch.

Downsides - Bernardo Silva was wasteful in possession and didn't create much; Yaya was off the pace - he and Gundogan were up against three in midfield and that has never been Yaya's forte.

Adarabioyo's composure was great to watch and I look forward to seeing more of Diaz and Foden. I am sure the performances from these three lads will have been very pleasing for Pep and I can see him using them a bit more as the season progresses.

Welcome to the Big Boys game lads.

Yep, had a look at the highlights, in Danilo's defence he had a player overlapping him so was caught in no man's land.

On Ederson, I think it was likely they'd score if he had stayed on his line anyway so probably made the right call in trying to win the race to the ball.

Yes it was good attacking play - the overlap can't be ignored and it creates just enough time and space to check inside & Eddy wasn'tfar away from getting there first but chose the right option - better to remain at 11 v 11 and still be in the game than get sent off and really make things difficult.