Sex Scandal Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sex Scandal Thread

No surprise here, is there?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42025255

Children who were sexually abused by Jehovah's Witnesses were allegedly told by the church not to report the crimes.

Victims from across the UK told the BBC they were routinely abused and that the religious organisation's own rules protected perpetrators.

One child abuse lawyer believes there could be thousands of victims across the country who have not come forward because of a "two witness" rule.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 20/11/2017 16:57

No surprise here, is there?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42025255

Children who were sexually abused by Jehovah's Witnesses were allegedly told by the church not to report the crimes.

Victims from across the UK told the BBC they were routinely abused and that the religious organisation's own rules protected perpetrators.

One child abuse lawyer believes there could be thousands of victims across the country who have not come forward because of a "two witness" rule.

I've had three Witnesses work for me over the years. I found them to be lovely people.

You'd think after everything with the Catholic Church that religious organisations would see that as a case study in what not to do.

Remember thinking that touching a woman's knee wasn't something worth resigning over? Well here's the latest gossip:

"The current whisper around Westminster is that he has a touch of the Louis CKs about him – but he doesn't need the women to be in the room with him.

Just their handbags."

There is a real danger here of beginning to think this is only a problem of the powerful and wealthy. It isn't. Many, many women, in every demographic, experience abuse.

Just targeting the elite, and those in the public eye, fails to address the root of the problem.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 23/11/2017 21:31

There is a real danger here of beginning to think this is only a problem of the powerful and wealthy. It isn't. Many, many women, in every demographic, experience abuse.

Just targeting the elite, and those in the public eye, fails to address the root of the problem.

The issue so far has been powerful men abusing their position for sexual gratification.

What do you think the roof of the problem is, Heath?

For me, it's the lack of respect across society for those more vulnerable. We're taught to take advantage of anyone weaker than us.

Sexual abuse is about power, not sex. Boys need to be taught more respect in their early years. Women are not objects, they're people, and need to be treated equally. The fact they still aren't is a stain on our current society.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 23/11/2017 21:42

For me, it's the lack of respect across society for those more vulnerable. We're taught to take advantage of anyone weaker than us.

Sexual abuse is about power, not sex. Boys need to be taught more respect in their early years. Women are not objects, they're people, and need to be treated equally. The fact they still aren't is a stain on our current society.

I think you expect too much from human beings. We are predatory animals. Through the rule of law and societal norms, we have established a reasonably good system in developed countries for not beating each other to death in the streets but it takes very little for us to return to that behaviour.

Possibly, and as a supporter of evolutionary biology, I have to accept it comes with the territory.

I just see the macho nature of our culture, and hate it. I don't really like the word equal, because men and women obviously are different, but just because you can force your advances on someone doesn't mean you should.

We've made progress, but there's work to be done.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 24/11/2017 01:32

Possibly, and as a supporter of evolutionary biology, I have to accept it comes with the territory.

I just see the macho nature of our culture, and hate it. I don't really like the word equal, because men and women obviously are different, but just because you can force your advances on someone doesn't mean you should.

We've made progress, but there's work to be done.

It's such a mine field, though. The enormity of human sexual behaviour is staggering and it's almost impossible to be 100% sure that sexual advances will be accepted by either sex.

Of course, no means no but in my experience, women who make sexual advances are very unlikely to accept a no. It's just that they don't have the strength or anatomy to force the situation.

I come across it every day. I'm very tactile, and fortunately most of the women I know are. If I meet anyone new, I just leave it up to them when it's ok, and take the lead.

What I'm seeing on other threads is it's OK to walk up to a woman and grab their "pussy". I'm afraid that's never been acceptable. A touch on the knee. A kiss on the cheek. I can see how these can be ambiguous, and hopefully both men and women can work it out between them.

A minefield it definitely is.

Wow, ex Man City and Brazil player Robinho sentenced to 9 years in jail for sexual assault....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/robinho-sentenced-to-nine-years-in-jail-for-sexual-assault-1.3303194

I think you expect too much from human beings. We are predatory animals.

Are we though, the vast majority seem to cope and we shouldn't get lost in media reports that it's the minority (on all scores).

Until it becomes a more society norm or group you're involved with.

Bill Cosby could be going down (as it were)....

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Bill Cosby was convicted Thursday of drugging and molesting a woman in the first big celebrity trial of the #MeToo era, completing the spectacular late-life downfall of a comedian who broke racial barriers in Hollywood on his way to TV superstardom as America’s Dad.

Cosby, 80, could end up spending his final years in prison after a jury concluded he sexually violated Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004. He claimed the encounter was consensual.

https://goo.gl/KJgf73

Power corrupts.

It was difficult in this case, because they didn't want to taint all the good work he did for racial equality. I saw an interview with one of his victims this morning, and she nearly didn't come forward, for this reason.

Such a shame he couldn't have been remembered for all the good he did. He had to go and ruin it.