"Settling in nicely" - Thoughts On The January Signings? | Vital Football

"Settling in nicely" - Thoughts On The January Signings?

We will still be fine if this season starts again. If games are played you've still got many teams below us playing each other so points to be lost by most.

The January signings on the whole have been good when you consider the majority were with more than half an eye on next season. Bar Bridcutt they are all young so expecting them to be the finished article now just isn't fair.

The potential of Scully has been apparent since his first substitute appearance and he will be a big player for us next season and hopefully beyond. Same with Edun who I think will be our best central midfielder next season with his energy

Hopper showed last week what he can offer and if that is maintained he will be a proper player

Coventry has shown flashes of what he's capable of though games can pass him by. You can see though why West Ham rate him as a prospect

Elbouzedi and Melbourne haven't had many chances as yet to really show what they've got and supporters can't say anything about Andrews Eyoma or Hinds as no game time for any of them

Finally Bridcutt has shown why he's played at higher levels before. It would be a tremendous coup for us if he signs a two year deal with us once his Forest deal expires but I'd expect a lower Championship team to snap him up

So overall and based only on a handful of games that was a very productive window for the club in my opinion when you think about players coming into the club with eyes on the future.

Of those that departed I think only really Toffolo has done well at his new club. Andrade and O'Connor seem to have fallen foul of Salford's buying and not playing policy. Akinde doing fine at Gills I suppose

I think I've remember everyone we brought in back in January. I've not included Lewis as his was just a contract extension plus Sheehan who only came in a few days ago.
Thinking of Sheehan if the season is abandoned Burton could have been his sole game for us. Blimey!!

We will still be fine if this season starts again. If games are played you've still got many teams below us playing each other so points to be lost by most.

The January signings on the whole have been good when you consider the majority were with more than half an eye on next season. Bar Bridcutt they are all young so expecting them to be the finished article now just isn't fair.

The potential of Scully has been apparent since his first substitute appearance and he will be a big player for us next season and hopefully beyond. Same with Edun who I think will be our best central midfielder next season with his energy

Hopper showed last week what he can offer and if that is maintained he will be a proper player

Coventry has shown flashes of what he's capable of though games can pass him by. You can see though why West Ham rate him as a prospect

Elbouzedi and Melbourne haven't had many chances as yet to really show what they've got and supporters can't say anything about Andrews Eyoma or Hinds as no game time for any of them

Finally Bridcutt has shown why he's played at higher levels before. It would be a tremendous coup for us if he signs a two year deal with us once his Forest deal expires but I'd expect a lower Championship team to snap him up

So overall and based only on a handful of games that was a very productive window for the club in my opinion when you think about players coming into the club with eyes on the future.

Of those that departed I think only really Toffolo has done well at his new club. Andrade and O'Connor seem to have fallen foul of Salford's buying and not playing policy. Akinde doing fine at Gills I suppose
O'Connor is injured and I think Andrade is too.
Toffolo is getting rave reviews at Huddersfield, my cousin is very impressed by him.

Last edited:
Average scores for them from the 'Rate The Players' thread:

Bridcutt 7.03 - 5 apps
Scully 6.93 - 5 apps
Edun 6.60 - 6 apps
Coventry 6.42 - 7 apps
Melbourne 6.30 - 8 apps (has played mainly since signing permanently)
John-Jules 6.23 - 7 apps
Hopper 6.13 - 8 apps
Elbouzedi 5.67 - 5 apps

For a bunch of academy players, that is quite impressive.

Last edited:
I've been disappointed that Eyoma hasn't had game time, he looks like a solid operator and might have given some overworked players a rest. Has he had an airing in any of the friendlies, does anyone know?

Finally Bridcutt has shown why he's played at higher levels before. It would be a tremendous coup for us if he signs a two year deal with us once his Forest deal expires but I'd expect a lower Championship team to snap him up.

We might just get Bridcutt on a 2 year deal especially if as quoted by MA that he thinks Bridcutt woud be interested on becoming a coach, & if we offered him that chance with City after he retired.

We might just get Bridcutt on a 2 year deal especially if as quoted by MA that he thinks Bridcutt woud be interested on becoming a coach, & if we offered him that chance with City after he retired.
We might, but if we couldn’t afford to keep O’Connor I’d be utterly amazed if we could afford Bridcutt. I’d love to be wrong mind. Can’t see at he age he is he’d be thinking about coaching yet...he’d want to be playing for another few years yet you’d think.