Serge Aurier - Player Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Serge Aurier - Player Thread

I thought the first goal Aurier should have done much more to stop the cross coming in. It was a token gesture and a recurring theme for me.

You absolutely nailed it. It's always jog rather than sprint with Aurier. It's about going through the motions rather than wearing the shirt. Was just saying on the other thread about the difference between a limited player like Walker who is an absolute fighter and winner compared to this current lot. No way Jota would have got that much space if Walker was there.

3 consecutive seasons of very poor full-backs at Spurs, both sides.

The first goal Aurier had a long running duel to try and halt the attack and as quite rightly has been said then even failed to stop the cross. The attack started deep in Wolves half. The other goal Aurier was at fault was again from deep, he put in a challenge, got shrugged off then gave up running and just let them go I think this was Jose's point when he said we are too nice. Aurier should have done more to stop both goals.
His abject defending is glossed over by his goal and attacking play.

The problem yet again, is he's playing to orders and sadly doesn't have the positional awareness to 'see' how an attack will develop; Jose should be able to fix that - you get the player in the video review room and show them what they needed to do/what they didn't do lead to and you work at it on the training pitch with him - it's fixable, but not if you aren't beating him around the head about it.

The problem yet again, is he's playing to orders and sadly doesn't have the positional awareness to 'see' how an attack will develop; Jose should be able to fix that - you get the player in the video review room and show them what they needed to do/what they didn't do lead to and you work at it on the training pitch with him - it's fixable, but not if you aren't beating him around the head about it.

I would break the whole group into small teams of 4 around a computer screen and get them to present back to the squad on what went wrong with the 3 goals. A simple exercise to get them thinking differently. We know the manager and analysts can provide feedback all day long. I would love Aurier to address the group with humility and say "I got caught ambling back" or "I wasn't close enough". Get Sanchez saying "I dived in and got caught out of position". Gio should be saying "Winksy had to press and I didn't drop in".

I would be doing this exercise with them every single week until they start to become more tactically aware and way more responsible for each other on the pitch.