Serge Aurier | Page 9 | Vital Football

Serge Aurier

I much prefer Trippier. Better defender and delivery of the ball. He is more dependable.

The guy obviously has talent but,as someone posted earlier,maybe he tries too hard. Still think he's miles better than Trippier,who is average at best,KWP has been good when selected so don't know why he's not playing more,which is strange considering Pochs youth policy.

I think we have a three tiered situation at RWB, KWP is the up-coming 'novice' who needs experience, Trips is in the middle as a good, solid option, the safe option, then you have Aurier who 'could' be great but is a risky player.

1 - Aurier - Hot headed and full of risk
2 - Tripps - Steady Eddie, safe option
3 - KWP - Youth who comes with an element of risk until has more games under his belt.

Option 2 gets my vote for the majority right now...

I think we have a three tiered situation at RWB, KWP is the up-coming 'novice' who needs experience, Trips is in the middle as a good, solid option, the safe option, then you have Aurier who 'could' be great but is a risky player.

1 - Aurier - Hot headed and full of risk
2 - Tripps - Steady Eddie, safe option
3 - KWP - Youth who comes with an element of risk until has more games under his belt.

Option 2 gets my vote for the majority right now...
I know where you're coming from Spesh but Steady Eddie doesn't help us push on,have to take risks sometimes mate.☺

Wing backs and full backs are often just 'steady eddies'.
Dennis Irwin comes to mind, but it's not a position to be overly extravagant. You need reliability and consistency. Trippier has that.

Next season will show us, but I think you're competely wrong. He has everything to be a top class wing back. New country, no preseason, trying too hard, all has an effect.

No one needs to "try too hard" throwing the ball in, Serge can’t even get that right. But you believe he will be good next season when he can’t master something basic a child learns in primary school.

As has already been said, time will now tell - but the one thing we should have learned by now is not to judge a player in his first season when he's been shipped in from abroad..

That would depend on who the player is. Lamela arrived in the summer of 2013, his imprint is of a player renowned for the huff and puff, but devoid of the match-winning finesse, he was brought to help replace. But we're still wasting our time with him five years later. Only at Spurs.

that's odd, to me he looks more wing backy as he surges forward than he does a RB or even a RCB ?

That said, I'll believe this deal when it happens, before his stupid name-calling periscope stunt he was rated in the top 10 in Europe, he clearly isn't the brightest/most disciplined as his run in with the police high lighted - but he looks gifted to me.

I'm with you Ex on Aurier. He needs plenty of work in many areas, but I'm sure there's a great wing back in there somewhere.
Do you think Poch can bring it out?

I'm with you Ex on Aurier. He needs plenty of work in many areas, but I'm sure there's a great wing back in there somewhere.
Do you think Poch can bring it out?

That's the critical question; as Rich points out above, he's obviusly capable of having a complete brain fart and not even doing what should come instinctively - but to me it's a clear sign that he's putting himself or feels under huge psychological pressure, as that's when base behavior like that changes in ways that we can't readily understand.

I well remember when Modric went to Real Madrid and I watched in amazement as he went from poor to bad to even worse; unable to pass, run, turn or do anything that made him look World class with us and my Madrista friends there thought he was the worst player they'd ever bought in their history!!

That first season he was voted flop of the century - next two seasons, player of the year - and he never looked back after that.

So I do expect a massive improvement in Aurier where a full preseason, proper conditioning, less pressure to have an immediate impact will allow him to 'think' his way better through a game and show his natural talent.

So I do think Poch will bring the best out of him and we'll reap the benefit next season, and as of now, I still think we've bagged a bargain that will have a big impact with us.

You can go back to Pat Jennings seemingly not wanting to have the ball anywhere near him for months . He couldn't hold on to that ball for love nor money . Shots would pass straight through his hands and back out into play off his chest .forget about him trying to cut out crosses , it just wouldn't happen
Gareth Bale was seen as a curse on the side when we first bought him , i think we went 24 games without a win when he was selected . I also think he was close to being shipped out .
Harry Kane hardly set the pulses racing when he first emerged n a spurs shirt.
I don't think they ,as examples , went on to be bad players.
None of them came from overseas , needed to relocate in unfamiliar surroundings , were expected to be the best thing since sliced bread immediately or had social 'kin media trying to find out what toilet paper they bought or had 37 cameras following footstep they made and then . had it replayed in slow motion for the baying hoards to dissect .
I genuinely thought Sanchez would be the one needing time to settle n and Aurier would hit the ground running . Goes to show what I know

This guy needs to step up. If Rose stays we could be back to the levels of the Walker-Rose competition again.

I've watched Alexander Arnold explode this season and can't believe how we buried KWP, not giving him a single chance beyond the start of the season.

Aurier will be better next season, but I feel we need to move Trippier on and promote KWP.

I've watched Alexander Arnold explode this season and can't believe how we buried KWP, not giving him a single chance beyond the start of the season.

Aurier will be better next season, but I feel we need to move Trippier on and promote KWP.

I'd agree with that just based on the premise that we were more fun to watch with the flying wing backs. Trippier is reliable. We need x factor in that position.

Screw Aurier. I would rather see KWP at RWB and Sesse at LWB. They have a lot to learn but the potential in both is very high. Worth the gamble.

As long as we have a strong central area they would have the shield and back up they need.

Utilize existing assets. KWP perhaps. Sessegnon isn't on the books.

Screw Aurier. I would rather see KWP at RWB and Sesse at LWB. They have a lot to learn but the potential in both is very high. Worth the gamble.

As long as we have a strong central area they would have the shield and back up they need.

Sessegnon is not a LWB nor a LB, he is a forward player.

He has played more games at LB than any other position. He has played more further forward this season but his attributes are perfect for a LWB.

Not from what I can see, all of the last 10 games he played in the front 3, and that's as far as I bothered to check.

Pretty sure the rest of the season would look similar, as Targett seems to have played all season at LB.