Serge Aurier | Page 6 | Vital Football

Serge Aurier

Fookin 'ell...

How many times must we write off players in their first season who haven't had a pre-season?

Spursex - 25/2/2018 21:03

Fookin 'ell...

How many times must we write off players in their first season who haven't had a pre-season?

He was supposed to be quick, he isn't , pre season has nothing to do with him being slower than Joe Lewis in a footrace.

Hes 25 and has played 19 games so far this season. He is fit enough and knows whats required of him.

I will give him another season as someneed time to adapt to the pace of the PL.

Big Chiv - 25/2/2018 21:52

Spursex - 25/2/2018 21:03

Fookin 'ell...

He was supposed to be quick, he isn't , pre season has nothing to do with him being slower than Joe Lewis in a footrace.

Unless he's suddenly lost ALL his pace, he's quick, in france he was one of the top 10 fastest over 50 metres - not having a pre-season, no conditioning (and he STILL looks out of condition to me) can kill your pace stone dead.

I'll lay money on it we see a completely different player going forward next season.

I really am no expert in body conditioning but the first time I saw him play for us he looked heavy , his legs looked ' not strong enough ' if you know what I mean . .
We said him and Sanchez would need a pre-season but I think Sanchez has done really well . His youth has helped , being only 21.

As would hope, Poch talks basic common sense yet again...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-news-serge-aurier-needs-time-premier-league-pressures-mauricio-pochettino-a3775271.html

Tottenham's Serge Aurier needs time to adapt to Premier League pressures, says Mauricio Pochettino

Jack Rosser
2 hours ago

Mauricio Pochettino says Serge Aurier will need time to adapt to the pressure and demands of Tottenham and the Premier League.

The Frenchman, a summer signing from Paris Saint-Germain, made his first Premier League start in over a month at Crystal Palace - but it was an afternoon to forget for the defender.

Having been called out for three foul throws, two of which came within around a minute of each other, the eccentric 25-year-old had the best chance of the day to break the deadlock late on, when Harry Kane’s deft flick handed him a fantastic chance from close range. Aurier, though couldn’t sort his feet out and missed the ball completely.

Pochettino, who promised fans that they would be practising throw-ins at Hotspur Way, has worked wonders with full-backs during his time in England, and says it will take Aurier a little time to settle.

“Yes, he needs time,” Pochettino told Standard Sport.

“It is normal in the Premier League, it is not an easy position for players when they arrive, like Lucas [Moura] and Juan Foyth, I think who surprised everyone is Davinson Sanchez, at 21 his performances have been unbelievable.

“But yes - the player that comes from a different league needs time to adapt.

"The pressure, the focus and then we are a club that demands a lot and of course we want to fight for big things, to be top of the Premier League, the Champions League and of course it is difficult.

"But we are happy with all the players, they are in the plan that we want and the most important thing is that we as a coaching staff help them to improve every day."

Aurier was on the right flank of an unfamiliar back four for Spurs, with Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen both missing through injury.

Pochettino added that Vertonghen, who suffered a ‘heavy knock’ to his ankle in training on Saturday, would be assessed on Monday ahead of the FA Cup replay with Rochdale.

Taricco the yid - 25/2/2018 21:57

Hes 25 and has played 19 games so far this season. He is fit enough and knows whats required of him.

Ex would know more , I would assume , but I know from my experience , some grounds were good to play at and some were horrible.
It all took time to get used to .
The changing rooms, the crowd , the closeness to the pitch , the pitch itself . The facilities are all different. There are lots of factors to get used to , as well as the different living conditions . Some adapt to it straight away , some don't
Anybody that has ever moved out of their 'home location ' will know it takes time to adjust

Walthamstow wanderer - 26/2/2018 10:43

Taricco the yid - 25/2/2018 21:57

Ex would know more , I would assume , but I know from my experience , some grounds were good to play at and some were horrible.
It all took time to get used to .
The changing rooms, the crowd , the closeness to the pitch , the pitch itself . The facilities are all different. There are lots of factors to get used to , as well as the different living conditions . Some adapt to it straight away , some don't

Sometimes you just can't explain why a new place of work, a different way of living, a different culture, different surroundings, new tactics and a lack of full fitness - most especically, a pre-season can have on a player..

I well remember watching Modric at his first full season with us and Real Madrid - and where he was voted worst new bought player in their history have a season that made him look like a carthorse who couldn't pass, tackle or do anything - second season, he was voted their player of the year....his explanation = he had no pre-season due to his last move as Spurs played hardball...

Look at Son, written off here first season - egg on face time for me as I said if he adapted to the physicality of the premier league he was a very good player who would score goals - and in his first season he looked dreadful...same posters writing off Aurier now, wrote Son off too...

Then he stepped up after a full pre-season and there was no stopping him.

Pre-season conditioning has a season long effect on base line fitness. Fitness affects touch and decision making and they all affect form...and form affects confidence.

It's just the way it is with Athletes.

It’s proven. If I say the player is **** he will become a key part of Spurs within 18 months.

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier
Wanyama - was more worried about red cards

The list goes on.

80deg16minW - 26/2/2018 11:21

It’s proven. If I say the player is **** he will become a key part of Spurs within 18 months.

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

Thankyou, but you need to add Rose - you thought he was too flaky too... :10:

Spursex - 26/2/2018 11:53

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

Was flaky?

80deg16minW - 26/2/2018 11:57

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

Was flaky?

You said he wasn't good enough because he loses his rag too easily and constantly gets caught out of position - later on you said you like his 'edge' i.e. his nasty temper !

Although it's World Cup year, Aurier will at least get a rest and a full pre-season behind him. So will Wanyama as both Ivory Coast and Kenya didn't make it. However, we have players from England, Belgium, France, Argentina, Korea etc and my guess is that up to 15 of our squad will be in Russia. Poch will need to manage around potential fatigue in the squad next season.

I do agree that we'll see a better Aurier next season.

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

There is a difference. Apart from Walker who is a bit dense, the others are pretty grounded and stable. Aurier is NUTS !!!!

Does make you think ....
The pre season is so important , yet Daniel Levy leaves it to the last minute most Windows . Seems to work in his favour and against that of the team .
Or is it all built into the project /philosophy?

Spursex - 26/2/2018 12:01

80deg16minW - 26/2/2018 11:57

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

Was flaky?

You said he wasn't good enough because he loses his rag too easily and constantly gets caught out of position - later on you said you like his 'edge' i.e. his nasty temper !

If you're playing well you can have an edge. When you're not you should shut the naff up and get on with it.

Walthamstow wanderer - 26/2/2018 15:52

Does make you think ....
The pre season is so important , yet Daniel Levy leaves it to the last minute most Windows . Seems to work in his favour and against that of the team .
Or is it all built into the project /philosophy?

When we do late business, it frustrates the hell out of me as in all transfers in all clubs 9/10 it means that they don't hit the ground running - Sanchez, is the exception that proves the rule.

If you recall Poch recently called publicly for us to 'get our business done early' - when I was there recently for a very long visit with a club I am now involved in locally, I was told by one of our people that Poch and his team are 'frustrated' by it.

Nick Real Deal - 26/2/2018 15:39

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

There is a difference. Apart from Walker who is a bit dense, the others are pretty grounded and stable. Aurier is NUTS !!!!

he really isn't...he just has huge self-belief.

I assumed Aurier would be able to walk into our team based on his PSG pedigree. Fitness being the only caveat.

I am concerned the positive stats are masking our right side's weaknesses. It's very subjective but it looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Spursex - 26/2/2018 16:02

Nick Real Deal - 26/2/2018 15:39

Walker
Kane
Son
Trippier

The list goes on.

he really isn't...he just has huge self-belief.

It's ok having belief and arrogance but you have to be able to deliver to back it up.