Seconds Away, Round 2 | Vital Football

Seconds Away, Round 2

muttley

Alert Team
Premier League TV rights: Talks held over scrapping next auction

The Premier League has held talks with broadcasters about scrapping its next domestic media rights auction.

The government is now considering whether to approve a rollover of the current £4.7bn deal.
Secured in 2018, that sale represented a 10% drop in value.

Clubs are concerned there could be another fall if the usual open-market auction begins as planned next month for the three-year cycle between 2022 and 2025.

The value of rights for domestic leagues in Europe also appears to have peaked.

Talks have been held with the existing live rights holders Sky, BT and Amazon about extending their current deals on similar terms.

Neither they, nor the Premier League, have commented.

But a rollover is now being considered on the basis it would provide all parties with stability amid uncertainties - and the loss of matchday revenue - caused by the pandemic.

However, rival broadcasters may object to being denied the right to bid, and such a move would require government approval, given concerns over competition law.

Amid continuing anger within football at the failed recent attempt by the so-called 'big six' Premier League clubs to launch a European Super League, and a fan-led review of the sport,ministers are understood to want assurances about the redistribution of money throughout the game, if they allow a private sale of media rights.

For almost 30 years, the huge increase in the value of its broadcast rights has driven the transfer fees and player wages that have made the Premier League so popular. But the league has come under mounting pressure from the Football League to redistribute more of its media revenue throughout the pyramid.

Last year the Premier League ditched a controversial pay-per-view system for matches amid a fan backlash, reinforcing concerns over viewers' appetite for more live action.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56911973

Perhaps we should get every Sky Sports, BT Sports and Amazon Prime subscriber to add their favourite football team to their account.

Convince the government that they're giving hard-earned money from a Spurs supporter to Barnsley FC.

lol - they can then rename themselves the UK Communist Party !!!

As I said elsewhere, the PL are desperate to be able to carry the current deal on...

On a new deal, the new rights could drop anywhere up to 25%

Every other sector has been hit so ...

Trouble is Steve, the PFA, the agents and the players when asked to help all collectively said 'fcuk you'....the so called alternative monetary response from the players raised effectively SFA.

So the clubs have sets of players who won't yield a penny and increasing costs and half their income during the period lost for ever.

This has been a lesson in the affinity that players really have with clubs and fans - so the next time I see some muppet player kiss the badge - I'll be laughing my head off at the irony of it all...

Trouble is Steve, the PFA, the agents and the players when asked to help all collectively said 'fcuk you'....the so called alternative monetary response from the players raised effectively SFA.

So the clubs have sets of players who won't yield a penny and increasing costs and half their income during the period lost for ever.

This has been a lesson in the affinity that players really have with clubs and fans - so the next time I see some muppet player kiss the badge - I'll be laughing my head off at the irony of it all...
Ex I have been laughing at em for years kissing the badge, what a load of bollox!

We need a uniform international collapse in TV rights revenue if there is to be a "correction" in player salaries and above all agent compensation.

Levy's unsustainable comments may very well come to fruition due to Covid.

Barcelona is looking for a debt restructuring. I'd say naff 'em.

We need a uniform international collapse in TV rights revenue if there is to be a "correction" in player salaries and above all agent compensation.

Levy's unsustainable comments may very well come to fruition due to Covid.

Barcelona is looking for a debt restructuring. I'd say naff 'em.

Which gives even more credence to the ESL for those teams that can get in.

English football is also suffering from Sky's lack of product strategy and execution. They got complacent because they thought they had a monopoly. They had nothing in place for customer loyalty and only ever reacted when customers either left or threatened to leave. For their loyal customers, they kept putting up the prices. Their answer to innovation was to launch Sky Q which was more of the same, and then convinced themselves they should put the prices up again.

Then 2020 finally happened. Not even COVID. Their profits went from £2.2b to £1.4b for their year-ended June 30. Years of Amazon, Netflix, YouTube etc creating better consumption models and being in tune with the younger generation. Then you load on new, demanding American bosses (Comcast, post-acquisition) and the effects of COVID on the UK consumer's cashflow.

So 10 years of the Sky Sports being a massive chunk of the >£1b profits each year. The premium product in their portfolio. They've lost the movies markets. It will be interesting whether they can keep the sports market?

I don't see how Sky can afford not to keep the sports market. If they don't have it then what is their selling point? I think there was a story a few weeks ago about how they've lost some boxing rights too. This could be a worrying moment for sky.

Though I watch Sky Sports, I am getting ready to cancel the shit, do as we say politically correct bullshit company.

Would so want Spurs to have the rights to show all their games, me I would be happy to pay them the cash direct.