Second yellow cards | Vital Football

Second yellow cards

Billy the Imp

Vital Reserves Team
Are there different rules to first yellow cards. Referees seem reluctant to give a second yellow for offences that would see them brandishing a first yellow with relish.

Are there different rules to first yellow cards. Referees seem reluctant to give a second yellow for offences that would see them brandishing a first yellow with relish.

There's certainly a difference on how referees operate between the two. Didn't work that way at Swindon, though. However, that dumbass forgot he'd given out the first yellow.

The whole yellow card thing is bonkers. I can well imagine some kind of correlation between minutes played and the likelihood of getting a booking for any given offence. There is probably a good chance of a similar link between getting a second card as well.

That's because with the second yellow resulting in a red his post match debrief will take longer and the amount of post match paperwork to complete will increase!

Just before the equaliser on Saturday Toffolo got goal side of their defender and was brought down. The ref gave nothing. Had he given a foul I think he would have been obliged to book the player and that would have been a second yellow. We thought at the time that was why he didn't give it. Five minutes later he gave a free kick against us for a very similar foul but with the bloke going away from goal.

There are no different rules. If it is a yellow card offence it will be one irrespective of whether it leads to a red or not.
That said I think we all prefer matches to be 11 v 11 for the whole duration so if referees are applying a little bit of common sense for that second bookable offence that is fine by me so long as it's consistent

There are no different rules. If it is a yellow card offence it will be one irrespective of whether it leads to a red or not.
That said I think we all prefer matches to be 11 v 11 for the whole duration so if referees are applying a little bit of common sense for that second bookable offence that is fine by me so long as it's consistent
But if the rules are relaxed for second yellow cards it’s inconsistent. Referees are supposed to enforce the laws of the game and not try to be part of the entertainment. I blame Howard Webb for this misconception of their duties when he ruined the 2010 World Cup final when not applying the laws of the game correctly.