Seasons player summary - done by Nick. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Seasons player summary - done by Nick.

I don't get too involved in player ratings, but appreciate what Nick does. For what it's worth my player(s) of the season are:
Kulu
Romero
Bentan

For me these signings changed our team & along with Conte brought absolute winners mentality, with considerable skill and intensity thrown in.n

Add in Perisic and hopefully a couple more of equally good ones & roll on August.

There has been an accusation from RD that my ratings in particular for Dier are biased. Also criticisms of Dier have been made through the season by RD, Gary, XV and Meee.
The only regular rater out if these is Gary and he withdrew his support for the ratings thread around February probably after falling out with me. RD only rated a few times, the other 2 never to my knowledge.

My ratings for Dier were mostly lower than Gary's.

Aug 15th Man City Gary 9, me 7.5 RD 8.

Aug 22 Wolves Gary 7.5, average was 7.10

Aug 27 Gary 7.5 , average 7.20.

Aug 29 Watford Gary 8, average 7.58.

September 11 Chelsea Gary 7, me 7 , average 7.33

Sept 26 Arsenal, Gary 5.5, me 5, average 5.05.

Oct 3 Villa , Gary 7.5 average 6.92.

Oct 17 Newcastle , Gary 6, me 6, average 6.5.

Oct 24 W Ham, Gary 7, me 7, average 6.87.

Oct 31 ManU , me 5.5, RD 4.5, average 5.

Nov 21 Leeds , Gary 8, me 7.5, average 7.5

Dec 3 Brentford, Gary 7, me 7, average 6.81.

Dec 19 Liverpool, Gary 7.5, me 7, average 7.15.

Dec 22 W Ham , Gary 6, me 6, average 6.38.

These ratings are all for Dier. The average is the forum ratings not the combined media one.

This proves there is no bias from me when rating Dier. It also proves at least until December that Gary rated higher or very close to mine. But Gary is included in RDs fab 4 of Dier critics and I'm accused of being biased.

There has been an accusation from RD that my ratings in particular for Dier are biased. Also criticisms of Dier have been made through the season by RD, Gary, XV and Meee.
The only regular rater out if these is Gary and he withdrew his support for the ratings thread around February probably after falling out with me. RD only rated a few times, the other 2 never to my knowledge.

My ratings for Dier were mostly lower than Gary's.

Aug 15th Man City Gary 9, me 7.5 RD 8.

Aug 22 Wolves Gary 7.5, average was 7.10

Aug 27 Gary 7.5 , average 7.20.

Aug 29 Watford Gary 8, average 7.58.

September 11 Chelsea Gary 7, me 7 , average 7.33

Sept 26 Arsenal, Gary 5.5, me 5, average 5.05.

Oct 3 Villa , Gary 7.5 average 6.92.

Oct 17 Newcastle , Gary 6, me 6, average 6.5.

Oct 24 W Ham, Gary 7, me 7, average 6.87.

Oct 31 ManU , me 5.5, RD 4.5, average 5.

Nov 21 Leeds , Gary 8, me 7.5, average 7.5

Dec 3 Brentford, Gary 7, me 7, average 6.81.

Dec 19 Liverpool, Gary 7.5, me 7, average 7.15.

Dec 22 W Ham , Gary 6, me 6, average 6.38.

These ratings are all for Dier. The average is the forum ratings not the combined media one.

This proves there is no bias from me when rating Dier. It also proves at least until December that Gary rated higher or very close to mine. But Gary is included in RDs fab 4 of Dier critics and I'm accused of being biased.
That's a ditto Nick as USAF.

Worth remembering that there is conscious and unconscious bias. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have bias.

Player ratings are just a single data point. I'll leave Antonio to pick the team.

Worth remembering that there is conscious and unconscious bias. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have bias.

Player ratings are just a single data point. I'll leave Antonio to pick the team.

It's quite simple when doing the ratings.....ask the question of yourself.....am I being biased. I'm going to remind myself next season. Even though my marking system kind of negates the possibility of bias.

It's quite simple when doing the ratings.....ask the question of yourself.....am I being biased. I'm going to remind myself next season. Even though my marking system kind of negates the possibility of bias.

The last bit may not necessarily be true but we would need to read up on what is called "statistical significance". We would need to understand whether we have enough reviews to draw proper conclusions from the data. I think we have though.

I would guess though that the media have more biases than us fans. We all know that someone like Sonny can do nothing all game, get a goal and walk off with an 8 from them. I still feel we are way more objective in our ratings and also watch the game more closely than them. Sometimes I wonder whether they actually watched the entire game or just saw a few highlights on MOTD.

Does it really matter...every member on this site is going to have a different opinion and thought behind their rating.

Does it really matter...every member on this site is going to have a different opinion and thought behind their rating.

I think it does. We all see the world differently but our collective intelligence in regard to Spurs is off the charts compared to most other resources. Having a mix of those closer to the club and those of us more distanced provides a mix of insight with a healthy dose of "the view from the outside". I find it quite valuable and enjoyable. Anything that makes you think and question your own assessment is useful.

I think it does. We all see the world differently but our collective intelligence in regard to Spurs is off the charts compared to most other resources. Having a mix of those closer to the club and those of us more distanced provides a mix of insight with a healthy dose of "the view from the outside". I find it quite valuable and enjoyable. Anything that makes you think and question your own assessment is useful.

Not what I meant 80...I agree everyone's opinion is valuable....the bickering about folks opinions and bias on this thread is futile in my opinion.

Not what I meant 80...I agree everyone's opinion is valuable....the bickering about folks opinions and bias on this thread is futile in my opinion.

Bias is going to skew the ratings only very slightly but I'm going to question my own ratings more next season and hope others do too. I want more posters involved if possible and more analysis but might suggest a ratings discussion thread so as not to clutter up the data collection one. What do you all think ?

I don't participate in the ongoing "rankings", as I am self-aware that I am totally biased, and any evaluations Id make on the fly, would be faulty. I find often I have little comparative objectivity when it comes to certain Spurs squad players, until they define themselves in the team. And that's another catch-22 in itself.

Best advice, don't get too bent out of shape about how people react, doesn't matter if people think you're right (Its subjective at its base), promoting the discussion is the most valuable thing.

Cheers Nick!

And who's on the exit list ? Sess survives but this backs up the ratings.

As we've always said, the ratings are just one data point in the bigger picture.

I think Reggie and Winks makes sense.

I'm guessing Sess's and Doc's ratings is a blended average over a season where their weekly scores got better and better. Their exit ratings would have been good and with regards to Doherty, he actually put in the best wing back performances we saw all season from anyone.

I've said my piece on Stevie. If you're not willing to give players a run in the side, then these kind of ratings are moot. Fair play to him for taking control and getting a move.

That just leaves Japhet. I have a feeling he would be better served away from the club on loan somewhere. He is just going to sit as Romero's backup, and even then Sanchez could play ahead of him. Another one that needs an injury free run of games somewhere. He seems made of glass.

As we've always said, the ratings are just one data point in the bigger picture.

I think Reggie and Winks makes sense.

I'm guessing Sess's and Doc's ratings is a blended average over a season where their weekly scores got better and better. Their exit ratings would have been good and with regards to Doherty, he actually put in the best wing back performances we saw all season from anyone.

I've said my piece on Stevie. If you're not willing to give players a run in the side, then these kind of ratings are moot. Fair play to him for taking control and getting a move.

That just leaves Japhet. I have a feeling he would be better served away from the club on loan somewhere. He is just going to sit as Romero's backup, and even then Sanchez could play ahead of him. Another one that needs an injury free run of games somewhere. He seems made of glass.
Japhet first needs to stay injury free for a decent period. That's his first hurdle. I don't think he will get much game time with us so a loan makes sense.