Seasons player summary - done by Nick. | Vital Football

Seasons player summary - done by Nick.

Spursex

Alert Team
I thought this effort deserved its own thread so as to stimulate debate!

Here it us....the final placings for ratings for the entire season . The lowest number of games cut off point was 28.
The number of games played is in the last column.

1. Dier 6.65....37
2. Romero 6.58...28
3. Lloris 6.45....43
4. Skipp 6.37....28
4. Son 6.37.... 42
5. Kane 6.25.....50
6. Hojbjerg 6.21....44
7. Sanchez 6.18....28
8. Moura 6.17.....38
9. Royal 6.08.....31
10 Davies 5.91.....43

Those excluded of note are.....
Kulusevski 17 games
Bentancur 16
Tanganga 20
Doherty 18
Ndombele 10
Winks 21
Sessegnon 19
Reguilon 22
Bergwijn 17.
There are others also excluded who played even less.

Kulusevski rated 7.03 over 17 games.
Bentancur 7.26 over 16 games.

The games played factor needs consideration because I think maintaining a high average over a higher number of games shows more consistency of high performance.
Should Romero at 6.58 from 28 games and Skipp at 6.37 from 28 be above Kane on 6.25 from 50 games ( the most played by any player). ?

Thanks for everyone's ratings and input to the thread. Well done to Dier.

From last seasons table, here is the comparison to this season for those still with us and playing enough games.
First column last seasons rating, second this seasons.

1. Kane 6.63, 6.25
2. Hojbjerg 6.41, 6.21
3. Lloris 6.22, 6.45
4. Son 6.19, 6.37
5. Dier 6.10, 6.65
6. Davies 5.84, 5.91
7. Moura 5.78, 6.17
8. Sanchez 5.70, 6.18.

Lloris, Son, Dier, Davies, Moura and Sanchez improved their ratings...6 of the 8.
Kane and Hojbjerg dropped from last seasons but to be fair both had significant uplifts towards the end of the season.

It may seem harsh but I am of the opinion that a player rating less than 6 over a sustained period is perhaps not good enough for us.

Davies was the only player to dip below 6 at 5.91 and he also rated 5.84 last season.
From memory he rated low the season before also, very close to or our lowest rated. 3 seasons in a row rated less than 6.
He has changed position this season and performed pretty well towards the end of the season.

Only Reggie rated above 6 from the excluded players from 22 games and he could be on the way out. All the others fell below 6. Of those Sess and Doherty might come good and possibly Tanganga.

It may seem harsh but I am of the opinion that a player rating less than 6 over a sustained period is perhaps not good enough for us.

Davies was the only player to dip below 6 at 5.91 and he also rated 5.84 last season.
From memory he rated low the season before also, very close to or our lowest rated. 3 seasons in a row rated less than 6.
He has changed position this season and performed pretty well towards the end of the season.

Only Reggie rated above 6 from the excluded players from 22 games and he could be on the way out. All the others fell below 6. Of those Sess and Doherty might come good and possibly Tanganga.

I think you're onto something with that theory. Where it becomes interesting is the trend. I bet Doherty has all sorts of scores this season, but his recent scores before injury were very good. Goes along with my theory that if you're not prepared to give players a consistent run in the side then don't expect miracles. I'm sure Sess would align with that one.

I think you're onto something with that theory. Where it becomes interesting is the trend. I bet Doherty has all sorts of scores this season, but his recent scores before injury were very good. Goes along with my theory that if you're not prepared to give players a consistent run in the side then don't expect miracles. I'm sure Sess would align with that one.

Doherty moved from 4.59 over 6 games on the mid review to 5.93 over 12 games over the last review. A huge difference.

Sonny got the Spurs player of the year award from the club I think. I'm not sure who decides and how.
Dier, Romero and Lloris all rated higher.
Dier held our defence together with 2 new CBs to work with.
Romero was a revelation in his first season.
Lloris improved his rating from last season despite his advancing years.
That's 3 players in our back line keeping clean sheets and providing a solid base overlooked in favour of a goal scorer.
It might be the right call, maybe Son was our best player and contributed more than any other. But those other 3 deserve a shout IMO.

Sonny got the Spurs player of the year award from the club I think. I'm not sure who decides and how.
Dier, Romero and Lloris all rated higher.
Dier held our defence together with 2 new CBs to work with.
Romero was a revelation in his first season.
Lloris improved his rating from last season despite his advancing years.
That's 3 players in our back line keeping clean sheets and providing a solid base overlooked in favour of a goal scorer.
It might be the right call, naybe Son was our best player and contributed more than any other. But those other 3 deserve a shout IMO.

My hypothesis would be that attacking players always get scored higher by the media than defensive players. The exception might be GK. It's the same principle that if you took the top 11 Ballon D'Or candidates and put them into a team then you'd have a GK, one defender and 9 centre forwards.

My hypothesis would be that attacking players always get scored higher by the media than defensive players. The exception might be GK. It's the same principle that if you took the top 11 Ballon D'Or candidates and put them into a team then you'd have a GK, one defender and 9 centre forwards.

Completely agree with this. I find the lack of insight and the lack of attention to anything other than the highlights by the media make them essentially worthless. They get paid for what we do a much better job of on here.

Davies 5.48 to 5.96 to 6.29
7, 13 and 23 games played.

Heading in the right direction for sure.
An overall average of less than six for Davies is harsh, and doesn't reflect his true abilities. Both in the previous two seasons, and pre Conte this season, he was generally compared with and judged against the more attacking flair shown previously by Rose, and more recently Reguilon. Under Conte his average has shot up by virtue of him being employed to do what he does best. He is a very good defender who reads the game well, makes numerous critical interventions and blocks, and most important for a defender, makes very few mistakes.

An overall average of less than six for Davies is harsh, and doesn't reflect his true abilities. Both in the previous two seasons, and pre Conte this season, he was generally compared with and judged against the more attacking flair shown previously by Rose, and more recently Reguilon. Under Conte his average has shot up by virtue of him being employed to do what he does best. He is a very good defender who reads the game well, makes numerous critical interventions and blocks, and most important for a defender, makes very few mistakes.

I don't like him against the big, quick target man, but absolutely love his "underlapping" in our offensive play. Conte has coached that into him and also put Bentancur on point to drop in when either Davies or Romero do it.

It's an easy choice for me; it is the player who will do to the opposition what they like least; that invariably is the attacker, so Kulu takes it and deservedly so.

I'd say both are integral to us finishing top 4 as Winks is utter shite.

First half of season: Dier (Skipp a close second)

Second half: Kulu (but Kate and sonny hot on their heels)

Romero has been phenomenal this year. Worth every penny.

No way does Dier deserve player of the season. A player that gets carried by a formation and players around him and still makes mistakes every game doesn't deserve Jack.

Think about what he actually does in games. He literally gets a free pass.

He gets to point and shout at others from a central position. He gets to make long diagonal passes from deep.

He can't defend wider areas because he gets skinned or turned. He doesn't close spaces in front of him because he can't read the game quickly enough and doesn't have the mobility to move. He struggles to mark anyone with movement on crosses and set pieces.

Just think about all of the goals that have came down the middle because he didn't close the space in front of him? The amount of times he turned his back on shots?

We have to remember we literally play with 7 defensive players every game, so it's easier to mask weaknesses.

He has had some terrible performances this season. Plenty of games where he has made mistakes. From the top of my head:

Palace away
Arsenal away
United Home
United away
City away
Chelsea away
Liverpool home
Boro away
Burnley away
Brighton home

It's funny outside spurs, every football coach I have worked with this year, coaches from League 2 two clubs and various colleges in the SW all think he is an average defender. Decent on the ball when he concentrates.

He has proven he can be a solid honest professional though. A decent squad player.