Season to end - Gazette | Vital Football

Season to end - Gazette

bfcpete

Vital Football Hero
Gazette are reporting that L1& L2 are due to vote next week to end the season. Promotion and relegation places would be determined by a weighted points calculation on the basis of points per game in home and in away matches. This would mean Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford would go up out of league 1. I am assuming that Bolton and Southend would be 2 of those relegated

I assume the Championship are looking to complete along with the PL

Bin dippers would be the other relegated team.
Only 1 team dropping out of the league this season following Bury's demise and that would be Stevenage.
Macc being saved on a pts per game basis having had 6pts taken off them following non- fulfilment of fixture(s).

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

After an indicative vote by the clubs, the table is set to be decided using a weighted points-per-game method, while the play-offs would be played as usual.

But any move still needs to be ratified by the EFL and Football Association.

Meanwhile, teams in League One will have to meet again on Monday after failing to come to an agreement.

On Thursday, six third-tier clubs had said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.

Peterborough United, Oxford United, Sunderland, Fleetwood, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town released a joint statement saying they had "no desire for voiding the season, points-per-game scenarios or letting a computer decide our footballing fate".

Who will finish where in the final table?
It is understood League Two clubs want to use a weighted points-per-game system to finalise the table, which takes into account the average points won both home and away.

That method removes any bias for sides who have played more home games than their rivals.

It has also been proposed that nobody will be relegated from League Two to the National League - meaning Stevenage, who are set to remain bottom of the table, would remain in the EFL.

At the top, Swindon Town would overtake Crewe Alexandra to claim the title, with Plymouth Argyle staying in the third and final automatic promotion spot.

The four teams currently in the play-offs - Exeter City, Cheltenham Town, Colchester United and Northampton Town - would remain there, but Cheltenham would move above Exeter and into fourth.

Why can't they restart?
Attempting to restart the League One and League Two campaigns was always likely to to be more difficult than in the Championship and Premier League, which could begin again in mid-June behind closed doors.

Many clubs in the third and fourth tiers have furloughed their players and, with no crowds allowed into stadiums for the foreseeable future, it would cost them money to stage games.

EFL chairman Rick Parry has also said 1,400 players across the league's three divisions are out of contract on 30 June. The majority of those players are in League One and League Two.

The National League decided to end its three divisions immediately on 22 April but they were waiting on the EFL to announce an outcome before deciding on promotion and relegation.

I don't think they will get away with no relegation. Otherwise the leagues above them would follow suit and prevent any promotion to them

I don't think the FA will allow them to do that. They havd alresdy indicated therr must be promotion to and relegation from the PL. You can't have integrity in one division without applying it across the board

Last edited:
I would have thought Barrow will go up, even if Stevenage are not relegated. Don't forget, with Bury getting thrown out mid season they need to make up numbers anyway

Last edited:
Horwich cannot survive this season without the drop.
Got away with the refusal to play this season and have made more of a mockery of the efl- if it was possible

EFL statement: coronavirus update

Large

The EFL Board met yesterday to consider the feedback and subsequent implications of last week’s divisional Club meetings, as the League continues to address the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.
The various proposals and counter proposals received from Clubs have been reviewed and, as a result, the Board has finalised the draft framework that would be adopted into EFL Regulations, in the event that a division is to make the decision to curtail its season as League Two indicated last Friday.

Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs.

The recommended framework is as follows:

1. Resuming the 2019/20 season with the existing format remains the most appropriate course of action from a sporting integrity perspective, but the Board accepts there are circumstances that may lead to curtailment (as has been demonstrated with League Two) or a situation subsequently transpires whereby the season is unable to conclude.

2. This means that, in the event of an early curtailment:

a. Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
b. Promotion and relegation should be retained.
c. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).

3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

4. The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season in any division should be 51%. Determining whether or not to curtail the season is a decision for each division to take.

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).

6. Any regulatory solution should be relevant and specific to the current challenges posed by the COVID-19 outbreak and reach a conclusion that is clear and effective with the impact and justifications easy for all stakeholders to understand.

EFL Chair, Rick Parry, said:

“In the event that a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019/20 season, the EFL Board is recommending that the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified, as there is a strong desire to remain as faithful as possible to the Regulations and ensure there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions.

“The Board has always acknowledged that a single solution to satisfy all Clubs would always be hard to find, but we are at the point now where strong, definitive action is need for the good of the League and its members.”

Seems sensible. The only variant would be having separate weighings on points per game for home and away matches. They should have aso set a deadline for each divisional vote. I would hwve thought the majority of clubs in L1 will vote to end the season apart from the play offs

in a chat with a ipshit lad today, marcus evans still thinks itfc could of made play offs and will vote for his club to sit pretty. i asked about ppg and what if two teams were level would they like the 5-0 over the horwich kids to see them move up. oh yes. in reality their season was over and the fans were saying as much now they wont to clutch at straw. we all know who the top teams were just a shame the efl wont get it right.

I'd still like to see it concluded even though we've got nothing to play for but in reality there isn't the wealth of the premier league with tests and TV money, I'm resigned to it being over. I do think Bolton need to drop along with Southend they've been the whipping boys all season. Oxford were the best team I saw I think they'd have probably finished top had it finished.

Jeez it's gone beyond a joke now....

The EFL has announced that League One and League Two clubs will decide whether to curtail the season due to the coronavirus pandemic on June 8.
The EFL Board has "unanimously" decided to progress with its original plan in the event of curtailment, that would see final positions decided based on unweighted points-per-game - with promotion and relegation.

Alternative submissions from clubs were considered at a meeting on Wednesday, but the Board is sticking to its proposal, which also means the play-offs would be played in the event of curtailment but should not be extended beyond the regular four teams.

Latest non-statement from the :sleep:EFL

The EFL Board met today and considered a number of proposals submitted by EFL Clubs in respect of proposed amendments to EFL Regulations in order to determine what will happen in the event the 2019/20 season is curtailed in any EFL Division.
This now brings an end to a comprehensive consultation phase and Clubs have today received formal notice of the meeting which will now take place on Tuesday 9 June 2020.
At that meeting Clubs will consider a number of different proposals from both Clubs and the Board of the EFL.