season tickets and not watching games. | Vital Football

season tickets and not watching games.

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
It looks like this season is a write off now so the last 5 home games are lost.

It also appears there will be no games to attend until January next year.

Will the club have to offer refunds or come up with something for those who have already paid? Maybe streaming the games for free to ST holders?

This is a mess and unfortunately for the club i think they will be forced to offer refunds for tickets already brought for the 2020/2021 season. What about those who shelled out for a 2 year season ticket?

What a mess to sort out.

I think it'll be a case of the club asking people to apply for a refund with a number of options

a) Full refund and you lose your seat. Other people can buy your seat.
b) Half refund for the period up to 31st December with you still owning your seat.

In the case of b) then come January they will review and look to refund on a match by match basis depending on what agreements are agreed between football and the government guidelines.

For two year tickets, then logically they won't be able to claim a refund for the second year because that period is not cancelled yet.

I suspect the club will go down an application for refund route as there will be many ST holders who'd be happy not to get a refund if it means the club is more likely to survive. That is a separate poll in its own right.

The National Trust have not offered members anything for missed weeks this year. However you can apply online for a 20% discount off of next years annual membership. Clever, because it means you are 'donating' any loss for this year but being rewarded (provided you request it) to money off a year you might not have committed to. It is a model I think many lower league football clubs might adapt for their own situations.

The National Trust have not offered members anything for missed weeks this year. However you can apply online for a 20% discount off of next years annual membership. Clever, because it means you are 'donating' any loss for this year but being rewarded (provided you request it) to money off a year you might not have committed to. It is a model I think many lower league football clubs might adapt for their own situations.
Similar for English Heritage, 3 free months if you renew. I tend to alternate membership of the 2 organisations so not great for me. However, they need the money so I will renew. I'm saving loads of money through being unable to go to the pub, Gills, snooker hall etc.

I hope there’s not a clamour for refunds.

Otherwise goodbye Gills 👋

And many others.

Thought that was a good idea by the German club (Bayern?) to sell LifeSize cut outs of fans to put in the seats. At least it got some income with no fans allowed.

I think scally needs to make a statement, including that he has reduced his consultancy fee to help the club. For this season I am "owed" about £150 for unused ST games and extra match tickets I bought in advance.

Happy to write that off but only if he leads by example

Next season ST is different. League one should not start without fans. If it does then I would like a pro rata refund on games I am not allowed to attend. As scally suggested go into hibernation until clubs are allowed to generate cashflow again. There is no rush to start next season.

Think me and Chippygill are in exactly the same position as you. We have unplayed games on this years seasons tickets, and have both purchased two year season tickets for the future (he also has 4 away tickets for MK Dons). Would be prepared to see this years money go down the tubes, however many may not be in the same financial situation. Interesting to see what happens financially concerning the already purchased season tickets. Money might be protected as it was purchased on a plastic card.

I think it'll be a case of the club asking people to apply for a refund with a number of options

b) Half refund for the period up to 31st December with you still owning your seat.

In the case of b) then come January they will review and look to refund on a match by match basis depending on what agreements are agreed between football and the government guidelines.

For two year tickets, then logically they won't be able to claim a refund for the second year because that period is not cancelled yet.

I suspect the club will go down an application for refund route as there will be many ST holders who'd be happy not to get a refund if it means the club is more likely to survive. That is a separate poll in its own right.

If the club hasn`t reached a decision yet, they`d do well to consider your methodology. From the club`s perspective, i`d say you`ve got it spot on.

Maybe they will do something similar to English Heritage as mentioned above. Those who have bought season tickets for next season or the next 2 seasons, can then purchase their following season ticket after that at a reduced price to 'compensate' them for games missed out on.

I hope there’s not a clamour for refunds.

Otherwise goodbye Gills 👋

And many others.

Thought that was a good idea by the German club (Bayern?) to sell LifeSize cut outs of fans to put in the seats. At least it got some income with no fans allowed.
Might be a different story but Borussia Mönchengladbach are selling cut outs of actual fans (you can actually have YOUR photo made into a cut out) for €19 with the money going to local charities. I think they are also going to have piped crowd noise played over speakers, something I believe Brighton are looking at.

There is also a matter of legislation that has to be adhered to, eg the Consumer Rights Act in general and specifically the T & Cs of any relevant Credit Agreement

Last edited:
Any news about season ticket refunds/donations to charity/incentives for next season for the games we will be missing, or is Paul waiting to see what happens at the next EFL meeting for Div1 clubs? Just that Martin Lewis has a section about this on his website.

Personally, I've taken the lose as just an unfortunate consequence of Covid, but it would be nice if Paul gave us some indication of his intentions.

The club probably can't make any meaningful announcement until all the other L1 clubs reach agreement on WTF they are going to do to actually finish this season.

Yesterday, EFL announced some policy relating to Season Ticket holders of Championship Clubs and the effect on the resumed schedule for that Division. However, they were careful to leave bottom-line decisions to respective clubs.

"ST holders at Championship clubs will be able to watch their team's remaining regular-season games online, via the iFollow service. Access, via iFollow to be determined by the club with which the supporter holds the season ticket. It may be in lieu of a refund or part of a wider package as determined by each individual club".

So, it seems that whether or not a club will allow ST holders free iFollow access for all their remaining games, just their remaining home games, or just a few games of their choice, will be a decision for individual clubs. As will any potential "trade-off" involving refunds.

Forty-five Championship games will be shown live by Sky - which leaves a hundred and eight other C games which can be purchased by non/ST holders at £10 a throw.