Season Ticket Prices - an idea... | Vital Football

Season Ticket Prices - an idea...

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
So ST Prices are imminent. A common comment this time of year is that our STs are just too much. I’ve seen reliable reports (Eddie the binman) that our ST prices are the 4th highest in the league and the classic cliché this time of year is to compare us to the likes of Bradford who simply have a huge fan base in the first place so can afford to reduce prices.

I always argue that lowering the prices is very unlikely to result in a sufficient increase in ST uptake. Likewise, I think scally knows he can usually get away with a 10-20 quid increase each year and not lose too many fans either so we as fans are in a hard place.

However I wonder if we could at least give it a try lowering prices for once though. We’ve just had a fairly big windfall from the Centreplate thing. And while I know that’s not all money we could spend, I do wonder if some could be earmarked as back up incase the strategy didn’t work out. Okay so if you get it wrong and you’ve lost that money, but get it right and Scally could actually increase profits and take up.

I think the above is unlikely though. Scally does not like to take that kind of risk, and maybe rightly so. I wonder though if there’s a relatively risk free way of doing this without actually risking hard cash.

I’ve seen other clubs offer a price dependent on uptake. So STs are sold at the normal price, but if we hit a certain target of ST sales the prices would be changed to a ‘headline’ price of say £250 each. The logistics would need to be worked out, I assume you’d need ST holders to pay the higher price up front, and then would need to refund them if the targets are hit. And it needs to be a proper refund, not like a free shirt and vouchers for the Factory etc.

In terms of the figures - I’ve read that we had 2,242 ST holders this year. Say the average price of an ticket including concessions last year was £350 – then we’d made say approx. 785k in total ST sales last year. So some simple calculations shows that if we sold 3140 ST’s at £250 next year then we’d get the same amount of money overall. Obviously the maths here would need to consider Kids/Students and OAP prices and numbers in more detail, but this is back of the fag packet calculations just to show a point.

Let us bear in mind also that in the last 2/3 years it’s been rumoured that we’ve lost around 700 ST holders. I don’t know how true this is, but it comes again from Eddie the Binman so I’d be tempted to believe it. With those kind of figures of recent ST holders lost, it may well be possible to achieve these numbers of sales uplift at these kind of prices. I don’t think a 10-20 quid drop would make a difference, but I do think a significant headline price would have a chance of making a difference.

I’d certainly like to see it tried. Maybe there could be a step increase. I.e. if we achieve 3200 we get them for £250, or if we sell 2700 then it’s £300.

At the very least it would finally shut up some of the moaners who moan about Scally never tying anything, or that claim tickets would magically fly off the shelves if they were cheaper. Also - If it doesn’t work then Scally can use it as justification in the future for not lowering them. But if it works, the club would be in a much better position due to higher foot fall. Even if they only made the same amount of money on STs it would mean an increase in match day income at the Factory/Tea Bars/Club Shop etc. That’s 1000 more fans who might well be buying the new shirts etc. It would also of course hopefully improve the atmosphere, and as such more people might want to come in the future. It would be a snowball affect really. The more people who come, the better the atmosphere is. The better the atmosphere the more other people who want to come back and bring their mates too.

Whether or not this would work, I don't know. But it seems to me a risk free experiement from Scally and at the very least a good PR exercise - to show he's trying to reduce ticket prices and improve attendances and atmosphere.

Keen for scally to really try something innovative this year. Lets at the very least hope he doesn’t have another cock up like he did with the kids tickets last year. That was truly awful - although thankfully remedied in the end.

Last edited:
Good ideas but you would need to factor in those that bought a 2 year S/T at the start of this season. Really think you need to run this by Durham for initial approval :surrender:

Good ideas but you would need to factor in those that bought a 2 year S/T at the start of this season. Really think you need to run this by Durham for initial approval :surrender:

Not sure how many of them there are but yes absolutely Even though they took the gamble that tickets might go down, if the ticket prices were significantly lower then youd want to give them some sort of money back. They are our most loyal fans after all id say and you don't want to piss them off or the next year you might find they dont renew at all.

I suspect there's not many who went for the 2 year deals though so maybe a moot point.

I like the idea but can't see it happening. There have been numerous threads suggesting ticketing ideas but none get taken up - even suggested one to the dear leader in person once. The easiest thing they could do is a have a cash only turn stile and an unreserved block at the end of the RE and Medway Stand for those who rock up last minute . The prospect of having to queue up on the day to get a ticket, and pay more for the audacity of deciding on the day must put people off.

Make it easy for people to come and support this gills. we just seem to make it harder.

The online portal couldn't even cope with the recent deals.

I like the idea AK but think we'll need a change at the top before we do anything as radical as you describe.

I do like the sentiment and believe that lower ST costs would attract a larger customer base that could offset the price reduction. However I really don't think PDPS is 'wired' to reduce ST costs. The loyalty of the fan is tested every year with a tiny increase to an already above average ticket price. When the price is very occassionaly 'held' for a season it is sensationally marketed as though it were a reduction. As a result the number of STs sold slightly reduces year on year as the price slightly rises. Logic says it must be worth trying something different to fill the ground and build on the hard core fan base but I just can't see it happening in the short term.

Season Ticket prices for next season were decided some weeks ago.

PS has somehow managed to balance the accounts for the last 10 years - cant see why he would want to change.

I purchased a two year season ticket, £325 for next year. My local team Millwall, which ever division they are in next year would cost me £149. Sort it out Scally. Sometimes, I wish I could change allegiances (no travelling, better quality football, bigger crowds and much cheaper) but mates, history, sentiment and loyalty makes it impossible:rolleyes:.

PS has somehow managed to balance the accounts for the last 10 years - cant see why he would want to change.

That is the funniest quote I've heard in a long time , Durham. Do the accounts show Scally balanced the books? Does balancing include the debt 'restructuring'?

You do talk out your arse sometimes.

I don't think you can say Scally has balanced the books - more to do with the action/no action of others.

Scally has been chairman for close to 25 years and despite us constantly expected about to go under, we are still here. The last few years of accounts have shown us to be generally stable, the now sorted Centreplate issue notwithstanding. People can critisise Scally for some of his financal cock ups with the Medway Stand but he has managed to negotiate the club out of trouble. He has been in charge for too long for it to be all down to luck.

Scally has been chairman for close to 25 years and despite us constantly expected about to go under, we are still here. The last few years of accounts have shown us to be generally stable, the now sorted Centreplate issue notwithstanding. People can critisise Scally for some of his financal cock ups with the Medway Stand but he has managed to negotiate the club out of trouble. He has been in charge for too long for it to be all down to luck.

You're up there with Durham!

I don't think you can say Scally has balanced the books - more to do with the action/no action of others.

Hang on you cant pin the blame on him one way and then non of the praise - as you have said many times it is PS that makes all the final decisions.

I made a suggestion very similar to this last year, which was dismissed by several posters. I certainly believe it is worthy of consideration because if you get the calculations right you can't lose. Does anyone believe we will sell as many, or more STs with a "small" cost of living rise. I don't and it is a fact that sales have been on a downward track.

If rumours of a new card system are justified this could be the perfect opportunity for new thinking. It might also present new posibilites. New thinking does sometimes change things for the better. It is true that Bradford have a large fan base but it wasn't always so. That larger fanbase was built with generous and imaginative ST offers and their historic fanbase was much smaller. They have a larger stadium, which allows for bigger discounts but our average is heading south of 50% capacity so we have scope for offers.

The very minimum we should do is a price freeze, or a nominal reduction. We are at a potential turning point after a period of stagnation and slow decline in attendances. On the field there has been a modest and welcome uplift under a popular manager but the shortcomings of our squad are becoming ever more apparent. An increase and business as usual will breed further and probably justified cynicism. Any attempt to innovate and actually try and increase season ticket sales is an essential first step in re-engaging fans. I really don't want to watch Steve Lovell and co being slowly strangled by lack of ambition and dwindling crowds of disaffected supporters.

In essence what you're saying is that the entrance fee either by ST or 'pay on the day' is overpriced for the product on offer; prices seem reflect aspirations rather than reality [average Div 3 club]. Scally will argue that the reality is that costs exceed revenue but then he can't keep upping the price to a smaller fan base or he will certainly get diminishing returns; he has to do what Jogills is suggesting and innovate but the innovation has to be real enough to make a permanent difference not just for occasional matches.

One way to possibly increase ticket sales could be to have a season ticket for eight games at a time and the last being for seven. With prices matching the full season ticket would help fans to cover the expense in stages rather than one lump sum, and not have to commit to a full season. It doesn't effect me this year as I paid for 2 years in advance so I am ok until next year, but, I do think giving fans as many options as possible including offers can only help cash flow.

One way to possibly increase ticket sales could be to have a season ticket for eight games at a time and the last being for seven. With prices matching the full season ticket would help fans to cover the expense in stages rather than one lump sum, and not have to commit to a full season. It doesn't effect me this year as I paid for 2 years in advance so I am ok until next year, but, I do think giving fans as many options as possible including offers can only help cash flow.
But that doesn't address pricing