Season 2021 - 22 Review | Vital Football

Season 2021 - 22 Review

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
My view, overall it has been a successful season. Pools have, comfortably, achieved the points total to retain their EFL status, had a good FA Cup run and reached the semi finals of the EFL Trophy.
Looking back to the start of the season I doubt anybody would have been optimistic of the season going so well!
Remembering that after the Playoff victory Pools were to lose key squad members, Oates, Armstrong, Cass and Johnson; coupled with only a short window to recruit replacements or strengthen the squad. Preseason friendlies, hastily arranged, against local nonleague opposition didn't provide cause for optimism.

The recent fall off in results and performance has been disappointing, but shouldn't detract from the seasons achievement in its entirety.

Surprised that GL has now been relieved of role of manager, surely Raj must have a replacement lined up?

Thinks it's good management, taking sentiment out of the equation and basing decision on the hard facts of the last few months.

Thinks it's good management, taking sentiment out of the equation and basing decision on the hard facts of the last few months.

Yes, but the hard facts of the last few months include the fact that it hasn't been Spike's team.

We'll never know the actual reason for Spike's dismissal, but I suspect that there is more to it than just the poor run of results.

In respect of the players signed in January, I doubt Spike had a great input and any blame should be directed towards Lee Turnbull.
The fact that few lived up to expectations, well I guess we'll all have our opinions!

Last edited:
When a team is doing well - beating teams from higher divisions etc - and then isn't it's usually down to the manager.

When a team is doing well - beating teams from higher divisions etc - and then isn't it's usually down to the manager.

But then, teams often do well in one part of the season and not in other parts, even with the same manager. That's partly why I'd say it's wrong to take the last few months as criteria for performance over a whole season. The poor run could have come in the middle or at the beginning of the season. Really, none of us has any idea what are the factors governing performance, but everyone has a theory!