SE talking about budget - again! | Page 7 | Vital Football

SE talking about budget - again!

The whole situation is all very strange IMO. Yes we've always appeared to have problems recruiting/ being told player X is out of our price range and generally underwhelming signings over the last few years and there have been many who've questioned PS (myself included) willingness/ability to spend to get players capable/proven at this level but, this whole scenario since SE joined has been bizarre.

Towards the back end of the summer window SE was quoted saying he hadn't spent all of his available budget and that he wasn't going to just sign anybody just for the sake of it (rightly) and now the window has opened up again we've now had him saying we can't get close to Akinde or Samuels wages, and despite Cisse leaving on loan (guess we're still picking up at least some of his wages) Ndjoli gone back and Marshall now leaving, there should be some funds to recruit. In the next breath SE says PS agreed to "blow the pay structure of the football club" ( I think they were his words) yet SE declined the deal, but now SE is saying we have the lowest budget in League One. Just don't see the club with the lowest budget in the league blowing its pay structure on one player tbh. If we are going to "blow the wage structure of the football club" IMO it has to be on someone with potential sell on value (not Akinde at 30).

For me something doesn't add up. I'm almost resigned to the fact that no-one will be coming in before the window closes. "We've been close" .... "The player concerned farted in the Chairmans office so the deal didn't happen"....... " The player didn't like the colour of our grass" will no doubt be added to the list of reasons why X,Y or Z didn't sign. Sadly when SE said pre season every penny has to be spent and spent wisely, it just hasn't happened. I'm not sure who's to blame but one thing is for sure, it's getting boring, repetitive but more than that disheartening when we look like with a few additions we could make it an exciting second half of the season and challenge for a playoff spot, but that's a long way off at the moment IMO.

Watch as we sign a raft of quality this afternoon. If we do I'm claiming the credit.

Last edited:
The obvious thing for me about Scally and Evans is that they get on.

I don't think for a second that we have the lowest budget in League One.

If Scally was bothered Evans wouldn't keep repeating the trick.

As others have stated it's for effect only. Whether it's to set fan / player / agent or opposition expectations I don't know but it's clearly not true and Scally clearly (for me at least) does not care about it!

You can prove anything with stats. 64% of people know that.

So, I believe BFSE when he talks of having the lowest budget in the league - depends on the stats he is using...

It might be that BFSE is quoting a stat for the GFC direct payroll - which would exclude the cost of loanees. Given, we have a high proportion of loanees, maybe he is right.

Also might be that he is only considering base salaries and, perhaps, most of the GFC players are more heavily incentivised by bonuses. In which case, the GFC basic payroll might be lower that A&S.

I think people are mishearing Evans, and he's not saying the smallest budget in League 1...

worlds_most_popular_pet_bird-jpg.37361

Was that a tweet LSB2?

I didn’t know there was a pub on Maidstone rd is it up near Rochester airport, if so that’s not half way up or down ?

The obvious thing for me about Scally and Evans is that they get on.

I don't think for a second that we have the lowest budget in League One.

If Scally was bothered Evans wouldn't keep repeating the trick.

As others have stated it's for effect only. Whether it's to set fan / player / agent or opposition expectations I don't know but it's clearly not true and Scally clearly (for me at least) does not care about it!

some fair points there Nibbles. It could all be mind games. I guess Scally would be more annoyed if the fans started to turn on him as we know he can be a bit sensitive to crowd.

As we have such a feel good season at the moment there seems little danger of that.

some fair points there Nibbles. It could all be mind games. I guess Scally would be more annoyed if the fans started to turn on him as we know he can be a bit sensitive to crowd.

As we have such a feel good season at the moment there seems little danger of that.
Feel good when we couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo